X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Important Notices

Start time for tomorrow will be 6:00pm EST

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

And let me know if you're Yyg'ing the metamagic feats.
      75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
      RANK 10 Bastok
      CoP: Done
      ZM: Done
      ToA: Done
      Assault rank: Captain
      Campaign Medal: Medals
      Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
      This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Good sweet jesus Pathfinder nerfed Wizards.

Comment

If you are then that totally fucks up my character outline for leveling and feats, i was going by the pathfinder rules. If they are being Yyg'ed I'd like to reset at least one if my picked feats since I'm just becoming aware of it now.
          RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

No Yyging.

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
              Good sweet jesus Pathfinder nerfed Wizards.
              I hope my feat selection makes alot more sense now to you...
              RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

I was mistaken. Confused Caster Level with Spell Level.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
                I hope my feat selection makes a lot more sense now to you...
                It still doesn't. Your feat selection would be good no matter what class you chose. Why you chose wizard still confuses me. If you had selected Ranger, you'd have access to a second attack/round by now, 2 Favored Enemies (assuredly Human and Goblin by now), 2 Bonus Combat-style feats, 1 favored terrain, Hunters Bond, Endurance, a higher BaB, Higher Saving Throws... and you'd have access to first level spells starting at level 4.

Considering how infrequently you use spells at all, it just doesn't make any sense to me. You min-max your stats and then choose a class/attack style combination that doesn't compliment the min-maxed stats.

Comment

When i can start casting good spells and start using metamagic feats, that's when my spell casting will take over. Until i have a good amount of spells, and spells that are worthwhile, my melee is far superior to anything I can cast. But that will only last until level 9. At level 9 my spell selection and feats will make my spell casting devasting, as you so eloquently pointed out...

- - - Updated - - -

If you had selected Ranger
                  I wouldn't have the devastating spell casting ability I will have once I hit level 9 wizard...

- - - Updated - - -

It still doesn't.
                  And the prestige class I'm taking makes my feat selection and "min/maxing" make alot more sense and will make me an even more hellacious damage dealer!!!

/muahahahahahahha
                  RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Something to consider: Myth-Weavers

- - - Updated - - -

Compare and contrast.

Comment

I can't view that from work. can you copy and paste?
                      RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

When i can start casting good spells and start using metamagic feats, that's when my spell casting will take over.
                        But your spells won't be nearly as damaging... or as immediately useful as they would be if you weren't wasting your feats to buff up a Crossbow that will eventually be obsolete to your spell casting potential later on.

It's the same reason that when you play a game like Diablo or another RPG that allows you to place skill points as you level. You don't dump everything into the abilities that you use RIGHT NOW to make you better... you invest in the ones that will help you be a badass when you get a little higher. Abilities and Feat with longevity far outweigh abilities that you just use for a little while.

When you're level 20 and even your worst spells deal more damage than your crossbow... what then? You have a bunch of feats wasted that could have been spent somewhere else and made you an even godlier wizard.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't view that from work. can you copy and paste?
                        it's a character sheet.... so no.

- - - Updated - - -

wait yes....

Comment

If you had selected Ranger, you'd have access to a second attack/round by now, 2 Favored Enemies (assuredly Human and Goblin by now), 2 Bonus Combat-style feats, 1 favored terrain, Hunters Bond, Endurance, a higher BaB, Higher Saving Throws... and you'd have access to first level spells starting at level 4.
                          Oh, and going back to this. At level 5, which we currently are, with the spells I use, ranger would only have +1 att bonus more than what I have now, and I already get to shoot 2 bolts where ranger can only shoot one. My damage as ranger would by 1d10+1, where with Wizard it's 2d8+3+1+1d6. I think Wizard is the obvious choice thus far. Plus all the other spells I have and auto hit force missles...

It's ok for you not to like the way i put my character together, the way i fight, or the feats I've chose, but you can't deny the fact i wreck shit as a DD, and I haven't even begun to DD... *sings* It's only just beggguuuunn.... *sings*
                          RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

wait nope.

- - - Updated - - -

You can see for yourself when you get home. That link is to your character if you had chosen RNG Over Wizard. Your math is wrong.

Also: RNG would have 4 attacks/round at 11th level, while you'll have to wait until level 12 to even get 3.

Gravity Bow
                            School transmutation; Level ranger 1, sorcerer/wizard 1
                            Casting Time 1 standard action
                            Components V, S
                            Range personal
                            Target you
                            Duration 1 minute/level (D)
                            And you still get Gravity Bow.

Comment

Your math is wrong.
                              No it's not.

At level 5, which we currently are, with the spells I use, ranger would only have +1 att bonus more than what I have now (rng would have +5, I have +4 with heroism), and I already get to shoot 2 bolts where ranger can only shoot one (no math here I already get 2 attacks ranger only gets 1). My damage as ranger would by 1d10+1 (i dont see ranger getting gravity bow as a level 1 ranger spell, but the website i have is an abridged Pathfinder website.) , where with Wizard it's 2d8+3+1+1d6 (even if you are right and ranger gets gravity bow as a level 1 ranger spell, my damage is still +3+1d6 more than ranger plus the extra attack I get as a wizard that ranger doesn't have)

AGAIN, PLUS all the other spells I have access to, like fireball, haste, enlarge person, spontaneous immolation, flaming sphere, etc... it's not even worth discussing. at level 5, and thus far, the way I've played wizard is far superior than if i had taken ranger as my job.

Let's not talk about what ranger can do at level 11, lol, because that has nothing to do with how I'm playing my character now, nor does it included the upcoming feats, class levels i will pick as i level, or the prestige class I'm taking at level 10...
                              RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Your Ranged Attack bonus at Level 5 RNG would be 11 while as Wizard it's 8. Higher Hit Dice, Higher Base Attack Bonus, More attacks/round, Higher Damage, Better Reflex, Higher AC once you count in additional Armor you wouldn't be wearing as a mage, more skills/level. As far as Ranged attacks go... yours are better compared to the others... but they suck compared to what they could be if you had classed yourself right.

At the moment you're a glass cannon... when you could be dealing not only MORE DAMAGE... but actually be able to take a hit as well. What you're trading out is the ability to cast big spells... which quite frankly... yours will not be if you continue to neglect Mage feats. You're inevitably going to get outdone by Jarre, Cid and Fire in Damage. Armandos Class thrives on versatility... so you'll always do more damage than him, although he'll be a Jack of All Trades.

Hell... next level, Jarre gets 2 attacks/round. You've seen the numbers he's been putting out with only 1 attack. They're nearly as much as your 2 bolts. Now he gets 2 of them.

Cid and Fire have Sneak Attacks that deal 3d6 on top of everything else. Soon enough it'll be even higher and they'll be adding their Rogue feats on to bolster that damage... only they'll also be able to take a hit and stay in combat.

Listen... I'm not trying to tell you how to play the game but you began this campaign with us by telling us that you're new to D&D. That being the case, I've been trying to show you how you can be better... or at least make better choices that don't exclusively satisfy the here and the now. You just don't seem to get that you're headed down a 1 way track to being a really awful Wizard at level 10... not to mention beyond. A prestige class isn't going to turn it around.

Trust me. I've DM'd 7 campaigns and I've seen characters just like yours struggle with mediocrity in the later levels because their specialization wasn't complimented by their class choice. That being said... it is a game and you're entitled to play however you like. I'm just trying to warn you while you're still low enough level to make a difference in the way you're specing.

Comment

Working...
                                X