• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Important Notices

Guess ill just do more work

Comment

Recently I got to thinking (dangerous, I know) and researching into other DMs and their play styles... to kind-of find my niche. What I've uncovered is this:

The best DMs are that ones who introduce a new hitch or mechanic that makes their game unique. Gabe from Penny Arcade for example has introduced many systems like a spherical grid, cards, accumulated tokens instead of damage, etc. Basically, this gives his sessions a mechanical hook for the group to always keep in mind. These can be broad themes like, "Protect the healer. Everything here hates him because they can sense his deity." Or, "Magic is ineffective here, except for fire, which deals double damage."

I feel like the plot in my campaign is fleshed out... and the checks... and the encounters... and the skills challenges... but it needs something what will leave you guys thinking for the rest of the week, "how could we have handled that better?". More often than not, the game I've thus-far designed has presented you with encounters where there's an obvious choice and a series of otherwise silly choices. I'd like to rectify that in the coming sessions.

Most of the fun of D&D is in learning the mechanics. Unlike video games where there is an obvious mechanic ramp (oh, I have an airship now. Oh, I can summon Espers! Oh, I has grappling hook situations!), D&D rules are pretty set in stone and difficult to supplement without breaking or nerfing the game. Vets lose the joy of being amazed by new abilities (since they know pretty much at level 1 exactly how to build their character) and new players are often staggered at the sheer volume of information that they need to absorb in order to perform the simplest tasks.

What I propose is a series of surprises that won't make you feel like your characters got b0rked, but does offer a challenge. Think JJ Abrahm's "Mystery Box" TED talk.

This week's session (which has been postponed) and several subsequent sessions will integrate a few of the ideas that I've stolen from other DMs as well as a few I've created myself. These additions will hopefully provide a challenge that will not have an obvious "Right" or "Wrong" solution. Instead, they will hopefully inspire creative choices that you may not have previously considered.

Seed. Planted. You still busy tomorrow, Armando?

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
      99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
      99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
        Recently I got to thinking (dangerous, I know)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1476686
        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
        Name: Drjones
        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Next session is 100% ready. I'm so excited for it! Heres hoping we can arrange a time to play ASAP.

Comment

Such big plans... big plans indeed. The urge to spoil is overwhelming. I've been sending the synopsis to everyone I know from back in the day to review it's content and advise changes.

Next session will be the culmination of 6 DMs working together to create an epic-size session.

Comment

So we on for this Saturday?

Comment

I sure hope so. It's the only thing that's keeping me going right now. Well that and a cup of tea.

Comment

I have no intention of canceling. The session is still tentatively planned for Saturday at 4:00. This of course is pending everyone being able to attend.

We may even have some guest viewers. I got enough creative input that I offered to allow some of them to watch their ideas in motion.

Comment

Sure I should be able to come on Saturday evening.
                    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                    Reiko Takahashi
                    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Added yet another fun thing to Saturday's session. I cant help myself. I keep having ideas.

Not-So-Spoiler

Comment

Predictions

Comment

That really depends on how much you guys drink. I'm staying sober so that I can focus on getting through the material. I really don't want this to have to stretch out to 2 sessions.

So again... at the risk of sounding redundant... DON'T DERAIL THE SESSION!!!

UK

Comment

i'm in! and Avalene will be with the grandparents so...

- Epic Battle : won by a finishing mov by the EAW that leaves all around in awe

- Magic Item : don't refer to the EAW's junk as a "Magic Item"

- Chapter Conclusion: EAW end the chapter by adding another collection of mob genitals to his stash

- Unique Challenge: doesn't matter what it is, EAW accepts it and conquers it, evilly....
                            75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                            RANK 10 Bastok
                            CoP: Done
                            ZM: Done
                            ToA: Done
                            Assault rank: Captain
                            Campaign Medal: Medals
                            Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                            This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

My Predictions

- Epic Battle - Actually goes off as intended with Jarre breaking a new Damage Record.

- Magic Item - Gets dumped on Jarre the Pack Chocobo unless it can use used for Breaking and Entering or Larceny in which case Cid and I drunkenly argue over it.

- Chapter Conclusion - Rushed right at the end due to a delay caused by rules debates.

- Unique Challenge - Dragged out for longer than it should due to rules debates caused by the usage of a spell or ability that Yyg couldn't possibly have taken into account due to Murphy's Law.
                              Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                              Reiko Takahashi
                              - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Wouldn't drunken arguing take place regardless?

Comment

Working...
                                X