Rokko chan!! The Mega Girl that reinvents a classic formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rokko chan!! The Mega Girl that reinvents a classic formula

Much like how Final Fantasy reinvented itself during the FF1-3 days, Rokko chan gives a new spin to the MM gameplay formula with familiar graphics look and feel. (I think it could have differentiate itself more if they redesigned literally everything in the gameplay presentation, even the 1ups and energy bars, but I think those examples were on purpose, though wouldn't that risk a lawsuit? Well Street Fighter didn't sue Fatal Fury because FF was designed from the ground up, even though it shares the SF format of fighting, mew ) Well there is actually more NEWness than blatant ripoff effects, but I think this could have stand out more like how Streets of Rage made a name for itself without being designed too close to Final Fight. or how Sonic established a platforming series that rivaled Mario series. or how Secret of Mana explored what Zelda would not. or how Castlevania SOTN reinvented Metroid gaming. but regardless, Rokko chan is GREAT!! Rokko Chan

Re: Rokko chan!! The Mega Girl that reinvents a classic formula

Edit>
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

So it's megaman with tits? And she's blue ???
      I remember back in the day copying my friends homework "ALWAYS CHANGE THE OBVIOUS BITS TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOUR OWN WORK"

Some people are just so lazy nowadays !

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Looking at the first video she's a little girl so it's more mega man with blonde hair.
        Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
        Reiko Takahashi
        - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

All they're doing is "converting" classic games into Flash ... which I'm not sure why considering Flash is getting the boot and is on its way out (Apple, Microsoft and eventually Google are ushering it out the door) Oh well, whatever floats their boat, although I somehow don't see this being the greatest avenue of opportunity. But then again, maybe they don't want high visibility, or they'll incur the wrath of Capcom's Legal Defense Team (tm).

The similarities are uncanny ... it almost makes the Rokka-whatever game feel like a cheap Chinese imitation of the original ... much like most everything else "created" there.

Comment

It's a good game though, and it has some nice level design considering the limited scope of it. If anything I think it's a homage to the original Rockman game, with dashing included. You guys should try it out.
            sigpic
            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I wouldn't call it 100% lazy, mew. THere are various parts with original content (especially the cutscenes, music and some level design features) and even the backgrounds are completely new I think. Maybe some things are reskins of classic enemies, but it's much better and different than lots of those amateur and shallow MM hacks out there, and some things that even surpass the original MM designs and stuff, mew. But ya like I said, Rokko Chan game could have made a name for itself without being too similiar to inspirations. Considering how well this was made, they have the RESOURCES to have it possess completely different presentation, yet still play similiar (like how Fatal Fury series reinvented 2-D fighting while still holding onto the basics that help the gameplay. or like how Shining Force made a name for itself, separate from Fire Emblem's presentation and atmosphere.) They really missed out on effort that could have made them a new franchise that rivals but doesn't 99% copy.

Comment

Capcom's lawsuit towards the makers of Fighters History didn't go through, because even Fighters History had enough differences to not be counted as a ripoff. Art of Fighting and World Heroes included have similiarities but a lot of differences. And of course Code of Princess is another example of adopting gameplay design from something, without copying most of its presentation and assets, mew. And another good example is Shockman for Turbografx 16, which plays very different from MM. but ya I think my Code of Princess with Guardian Heroes comparison is a better example. or maybe Mortal Kombat (though that gameplay style is kind of bleh compared to Street Fighter.) or Final Fantasy XI compared to EverQuest. or Scott Pilgrim vs the World compared to River City Ransom (oh now that's a great example of adopting gameplay while standing out with improved features and revolutionary steps forward, mew) here's a full walkthrough video
                Last edited by jenova_9; 10-06-2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X