Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aaaah! president might remove online gaming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaaah! president might remove online gaming!

The President May Get The Authority To Kick Us All Offline

Nuuuuuuu! this would be terrible! If the government stuff cares about their security, use paper instead of computers for their secrets! >.<

Re: aaaah! president might remove online gaming!

I lol'd.

They could still use computers for secrets, just don't connect them to the net.
    Quotes

Comment

YTMND - Tubular Nets
      {New Sig in the works}
      -----------------------
      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
      Originally posted by Solymir
      What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

The internet is a series of tubes. And those tubes are connected to every other tube everywhere else and hackers can go tubing down every piece of infrastructure and do all the things hackers do. So someone has to step in and protect us from these tubing hackers as they turn off all the power in the country, steal everyones bank accounts and open every floodgate everywhere.

YOUR COMPUTER COULD BE SHUTTING DOWN THE GRID IN NYC RIGHT NOW DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE PRESIDENT HAS TO DO TO PROTECT YOUR FREEDOMS!
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I don't think they really would do this. The internet makes too much money for to many companies. If they kill the internet, they will be killing thousands of companies, causing possibly millions of people to loose their jobs.

Comment

there would end up being more riots in USA than Korea! (no offense to Korea) >.<

Comment

did anyone read the whole thing? its talking about if there was an emergency, the "kill switch" would prevent nation wide infection.

This is another example of someone taking an idea like this, and blowing the tinfoil had way out of proportion.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                did anyone read the whole thing? its talking about if there was an emergency
                That is the whole beauty of legislation like this. There is always an emergency, the threat level is always elevated, you are supposed to live in constant fear.

There is no national infection this is supposed to quell, that statement is as much bullshit as the whole concept of cyberwar. It's a money and a power grab. Its countries feeling their grip on their populations slipping and trying to move to control information again. It's militaries trying to get even more funding for pet projects. It's government contractors feeding bullshit to people who have never held a real job anywhere (politicians) who don't know any better to get funding for more useless 'security' programs.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Woot! More Change You Can Believe In!
                  Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                  99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                  F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                  >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                    Woot! More Change You Can Believe In!
                    Yep! Just take it from the Republican in the Senate to talk about what the Democratic President wants.

Oh wait.

And you guys do realize this is what the FCC already does, right?

There's really nothing to talk about here. It's some bill Lieberman proposed, with hilariously over the top blogging by Kotaku. Nothing new.

Really pissed about it? Look at a site with actual information on the bill instead of a site that specializes in posting trailers of vidja games; like S.3480: Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act of 2010 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress . Better yet, write your congressman and tell him your views, especially if he sits on the committee.

But here's a hint: if you tell your congressman about how Obama wants to shut down the PSN because he thinks your trophies are a waste of time, chances are you're going in the crackpot pile like you deserve. Write about the actual threat and ramifications of a bill like this.

tl;dr: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJL2Uuv-oQ"]YouTube- Schoolhouse Rock- How a Bill Becomes a Law[/nomedia] It's just a bill. It's only a bill.

Comment

J9, seriously. Just stop making threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                        And you guys do realize this is what the FCC already does, right?
                        This is nothing like what the FCC does. The FCC operates under clear rules, this bill, like all other that has been passed in the name of security in the past 10 years, could be held up as a model for its vagueness.

The FCC can not demand an ISP shutdown if the President or his advisers deems it's network may be being used to transmit attacks. If they did, every ISP would have already been shut down by the FCC, since they all are.

The FCC can not walk into civilian power plants or infrastructure C&C network operations and assume control because the President said so.

This bill grants, among other things, exactly that. Under executive order, the federal government would be in control of any network they deem important. A government, mind you, that constantly receives failing grades on it's own security measures.

loose

Comment

I'm so not used to discussing things like this outside of places like Penny Arcade, where people are required to back up their assertions with facts, and it is against the rules to engage in a logical fallacy. Oh, and where they aren't just like "arglebargleliberals" when something like this comes up.

Comment

1 - This is in case of some serious, major threat i.e. shutting down the nation's entire power grid or hacking the financial networks neither of which the U.S. is prepared for, at all (least according to a CNN special I saw a while back)

2 - You act like he'd be killing all online gaming, forever. Get a grip.
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

ITT: Malacite - Unlikely voice of reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X