Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aaaah! president might remove online gaming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: aaaah! president might remove online gaming!

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
    The FCC can not walk into civilian power plants or infrastructure C&C network operations and assume control because the President said so.
    This isn't what people are complaining about.

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
    The FCC can not demand an ISP shutdown if the President or his advisers deems it's network may be being used to transmit attacks. If they did, every ISP would have already been shut down by the FCC, since they all are.
    Having the authority to do something and doing it are different. And the FCC might not be legally able to say "close now" and have that happen, but no company is going to roll over on that anyway. It would be a huge hit to their business, possibly fatal. As it is, I have to imagine the FCC could probably fine them into insolvency.

Anyway, I haven't read the bill. I'm not saying it's perfect, or even a good idea. But it's clearly been blown far out of proportion by what barely qualifies as journalism, and people need to keep in mind that it's far from finalized, and President Obama did not write it. This is Pure Lieberman. It's not aimed at online gaming, it's not a Presidential power grab, and it's not some secret law that's going into effect next Tuesday.

Also keep in mind that should we ever need to shut down a network due to a large-scale attack, a bill that gives these powers in a limited and controlled fashion could be very valuable-- setting limits to the worst case scenario can keep us from having to implement martial law to close these things, violate far more of the constitution than these laws (also keep in mind laws can be overturned by the Supreme Court when they're misused or bad ideas from the start) would, and generally make a bad situation ugly. Do we want to think about the government shutting down an ISP? Of course not. Do we want to think about the government rounding everyone up and putting us in subway tunnels and bunkers? Of course not. But should we be attacked, it's not a bad idea to have a contingency plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
      J9, seriously. Just stop making threads.
      This. Dear God, this.
      sigpic

Comment

/sarcasm on

/sarcasm off
        Last edited by TheGrandMom; 09-22-2010, 07:53 PM.
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I love the tags on this thread.

As for the article, I read the first few paragraphs about what the bill would actually do, but I had to stop when the asshat writing the article went into pure, unadulterated conspiracy nutjob mode.
          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

HEY!
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

This thread was so worth the read.
              sigpic
              ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
              ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
              ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
              ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Working...
              X