wait, is Dissidia even original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wait, is Dissidia even original?

So I was totally getting ready to play ZOE2 (Damn you, defective Gamestop disks. I should've known better, but damn you to hell.), and I'm playing the original ZOE first so I have an idea of what the plot was.

So I'm going around, and it feels pretty familiar. My R(2) button is boosting me around, R(1) is blocking... minor attacks on Circle, primary attacks on square. R+square for special attacks. Lock-on managed with L.

And I'm thinking "man, why does it feel like I've played this recently? I haven't played ZOE in so long."

And then I realize, it has almost identical combat (moar flying, less matrix-y) to Dissidia. Dissidia even has almost the exact same controls.

ZOE wasn't exactly a common sort of game, where it's unsurprising when there's overlap. And Dissidia certainly isn't the direction most people would think to take a fighting game in. Unless maybe they were fans of ZOE's versus mode.

What the hell, SE.

Re: wait, is Dissidia even original?

I was all ready to buy the game, untill I played the demo, I honestly dont know if I want it anymore.... I love the idea of the game.... but its to "simple" for me
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

So wait, you're complaining over the fact that Dissidia has a similar control scheme to another game you played? Which in turn, makes the game easier as far as not having to figure out the controls? ZOE rocked btw and I for one am perfectly happy with the controls for Dissidia matching ZOE (cuz I been playing lots of ZOE again lol).
      Originally posted by Van Wilder
      Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
      Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
      I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

No, I'm wondering if I'm the only person who finds Dissidia's combat system to be eerily similar to and quite possibly a total rip-off of ZOE's.

Comment

Noboby else seems to care.

Dissidia is heaps of fun o.o
          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
            Noboby else seems to care.
            Yeah, you can tell really well what everyone on the forum thinks on a subject from the first fifty minutes after it was posted.

Comment

Sorry for not knowing but what does ZOE stand for?

Comment

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_the_Enders]Zone of the Enders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Comment

Those controls have been tested over time, Macross Ace Frontier is another very recent game that uses similar controls because they work. I don't think there's more to it than that.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it all started with ZoE. After all the controls are a big part of why it's such an awesome mecha game.

----

And about Dissidia being too simple all I can say is LOL. But then again it would probably require some play time to unlock the amount of spells/abilities/equip that lets you really customize your character so you don't get pwned bad at higher levels.

Not to mention I seriously doubt they added a lot of the cool stuff on the demo. /shrug

PS > I hate Butz' limit. I always manage to screw up somehow.
                  Last edited by Raydeus; 07-28-2009, 04:48 PM.
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                    Those controls have been tested over time, Macross Ace Frontier is another very recent game that uses similar controls because they work. I don't think there's more to it than that.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it all started with ZoE. After all the controls are a big part of why it's such an awesome mecha game.

----

And about Dissidia being too simple all I can say is LOL. But then again it would probably require some play time to unlock the amount of spells/abilities/equip that lets you really customize your character so you don't get pwned bad at higher levels.

Not to mention I seriously doubt they added a lot of the cool stuff on the demo. /shrug

PS > I hate Butz' limit. I always manage to screw up somehow.

well "simple" might be the wrong word, but I just expected something else I guess, I see it as a game I would play for roughly a month, and the toss it *shrugs*
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Kailea, its a fighting game demo. You're not going to scratch much of the surface when all the give you is a few characters to duke it out with.

Also, as I've stated elsewhere before - SE demos are horrible indicators of the final product. The FFVIII demo was bland, FFX demo was bland, FFX-2 demo bland again and FFXII demo was boring as shit. If we even get a FFXIII demo, it will be bland junk that doesn't reveal anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                        Yeah, you can tell really well what everyone on the forum thinks on a subject from the first fifty minutes after it was posted.
                        Cunning, I said that just to spite you but you're too cunning

Comment

To be fair, Balfree, I have a lot of experience in dealing with spite. My mother has been training me for many years now.

At least, I assume it's just training.

And yeah, the demo made me a bit more interested, but they should've taken out a character or two, and let you see some of the character customization stuff. I still have very little idea how all that works, and I'm not very inclined to go look. And of course, I simply want to play as different characters; Dissidia hasn't proven to me that I'll be plenty happy with the characters they used.

Comment

I've had fun with the game, and never played ZOE unfortunately.

Comment

Well, the thing about a game like Dissidia, or Smash, or whoever else has a grudge against Capcom, is that if you don't have characters you want to play as, you're not very likely to play it. Smash doesn't have any characters I'm crazy about, but I definitely like quite a bit of the roster. On the Hero side, all I really like is Shantotto; I'm not big on Butz, Cloud, Squall, or Tidus, and the other games I haven't played enough to form an opinion on. The only villain I care for is Gabranth. Two characters I really want to play as isn't a lot, when I compare it to something like Smash. I realize that doubling their roster would've been a huge effort, but they could've at least had FFXI/XII be complete (Balthier for 12. With 11, either add Maat as a Hero and put Shantotto under villain where she fucking belongs, or add Kam'laifanuofifgsfds or someone as a villain).

I mean, really, FFXI has enough distinctive characters to make its own impressive fighting game roster. 12 has at least six great options (Balthier, Ashe, Basch, Fran, Gabranth, Vayne). They really should've done a bit more to expand their roster.

Comment

Working...
                              X