DSi - I has it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSi - I has it!

Picked up my DSi from the Midnight Sale at gamestop last night. This thing is almost too much fun before you even start to get to the games. You'll probably ass around with the camera for a good long time. Its not high-res, but it is a step above the cell phone cameras out there.

Like the previous models, there's a little setup and profile process, you'll even take a picture while getting started. After that you can go through the camera tutorials, play around with the new mic and audio features or setup an wifi connection to update the firmware and visit the DSiWare Store.

The DSiWare Store is pretty slim pickings, but Brain Age Express: Math and Art Style: Aquia are the best of what's presently offered. Once you link up your DSi with your MyNintendo account, you get 1000 Nintendo points to spend. Nice.

Just don't get Wario Ware: Snapped. That is, unless you actually like horrid shit like the Eyetoy games on PS2. This isn't much better. Bleh, that was 500 points I could have saved toward Brain Age.

Games can be transferred to SD card as it turns out, btw, there had been some confusion about that in the gaming media. You can keep the games in the 256 MB internal memory or store them away on SD cards for later use.

The bigger screens are nice and the sound is a lot better than prior models. GTA: Chinatown Wars was the first game I fired up and it really showcases the new sound of the system.

The music player only uses AAC files, not MP3, but that's easy enough to convert, so just a minor hassle.

Overall I'm liking it a lot, if you can't tell. Gonna hook up my own wifi router in a few weeks so I can stop leeching off the neighbors. Got Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Final Fantasy III, Etrian Odyessy II and GTA: CW to keep me occupied in the meantime.

Re: DSi - I has it!

Can you link your DSi to Club Nintendo, so you get points for spending Nintendo points on DSiShop items?

There a reason you didn't pick up FFTA2? Seems like it would fit right in with your other interests.

Comment

Sounds great, but I'll be sticking with my current DS as the DSi can't play GBA games (FF5 and 6)
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Nice to hear something positive about the DSi for a change. I think a lot of people are just dismissing it without giving it a chance.

I ordered one last week, should be with me by Wednesday. Ordered it at a nice price (about £40 below RRP) but came with slow delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
          Can you link your DSi to Club Nintendo, so you get points for spending Nintendo points on DSiShop items?
          I get that confused with My Nintendo, yeah, you link it to same account you can link your Wii. Only thing is that while Points can be used on both systems, they don't cross over between the two

There a reason you didn't pick up FFTA2? Seems like it would fit right in with your other interests.
          I splurged a little too hard on game spending a couple weeks ago, pretty much why right there. Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are more than enough for my strategy fix til then.

Malacite: You know, you can play FFV and FFVI on PSX, right? Also, those are going to be remade for DS, too. DSiWare will eventually include GBA titles. I'm pretty sure SE will try to get in on that.

Personally, I think people make too much of a fuss about the loss of the GBA slot. They aren't even making GBA titles anymore and I'd much rather be able to stick them all on an SD card or internal storage than keep track of the old cartridges.

Comment

like so many other people I find the lack of the GBA slot to be disturbing...since I'm not done sticking in old Pokemon games to get Pokes. Unless there are some good DSi exclusives I'm hanging on to my DS lite....
            Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
            (have fun MMO players ^^)
            Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowneko View Post
              like so many other people I find the lack of the GBA slot to be disturbing...since I'm not done sticking in old Pokemon games to get Pokes. Unless there are some good DSi exclusives I'm hanging on to my DS lite....

I agree, thats what I'm doing.
              "We ride with kings on mighty steeds across the Devil's plain!" - The D

Ryddia / Nuikoa -- Ragnarok

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                while Points can be used on both systems, they don't cross over between the two
                Can you explain what you mean by that please? Seems kind of contradictory but I'm sure I've heard someone else say the same.

Comment

Malacite: You know, you can play FFV and FFVI on PSX, right? Also, those are going to be remade for DS, too. DSiWare will eventually include GBA titles. I'm pretty sure SE will try to get in on that.
                  Yes but I'm not buying them for the same reason I don't get FF1 and 2 for the PSP, even though they're the best versions; I already own the god damn games. Besides, I LOVE the localized translations for FF 5 and 6 on GBA, and only the GBA versions have the extra jobs and dungeons. There's just no comparing FF6 on GBA to the PSX or even SNES really (except in Audio; the SNES version still sounds the best >_>).

Oh ya forgot about the additional espers too (Diabolos is insane...)

When/If they're remade on DS I'll consider it, but I rarely use my DS as it is so no point in my going out and buying a new one just yet (really I'd be buying it solely for the camera at this point). Though speaking of handhelds I really have to get caught up on my PSP JRPGs... Star Ocean.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I'm not buying a DSi until some good exclusive games come out for it. Right now its more of a gimmick to me than something I need.
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                      I'm not buying a DSi until some good exclusive games come out for it. Right now its more of a gimmick to me than something I... screw it, I must have the DSi in at least three different colours. I might as well start now. I can just keep it in the box.
                      FTFY, TGM.

Originally posted by Kafeen View Post
                      Can you explain what you mean by that please?
                      I think what he means is that you can use the same points cards for DSiWare or WiiWare, but you can't pool your points into a single account that you can spend on WiiWare or DSiWare at will. Which is somewhat disappointing, more linkage would mean better chance of virtual console on DSi.

Playing SNES games on the DSi or Game Boy/Game Boy Colour/Game Boy Advance on the Wii would be great. Especially considering how many GBA games were basically SNES reissues anyway. Although, personally, I've only got one VC game (Super Metroid), and there's only a couple other games coming out on it I'm planning on buying (Majora's Mask and FFVI), and I'm not sure Majora's Mask would work on DSi without a full port job (like Super Mario 64DS)-- but I'm sure there's a lot of people that would love it. Plus, it really really add to the VC's "arcade" potential, pull it out, play for ten minutes, put it away. It's easier to me to justify "you'd spend X quarters on this game, so it's not bad to buy it and never spend quarters again" than "You'll spend X hours playing it, it's worth X dollars".

Comment

Feba, it was confirmed not too long ago that GB and GBA titles would become available as DSiWare in the future. Hopefully this also means some remakes of GB/GBC games are in the works, because some are to dated to be considered playable anymore (I'm Lookin' at you Mario Land and Metroid II. I wouldn't expect Wii VC games crossing over to DSi, though

Aquia was actually pretty good as far as the DSiWare games go, its just a little simplistic in presentation, but otherwise every bit as addictive as Tetris Attack, though there's a unique twist done to that style of puzzler.

Comment

Feba, it was confirmed not too long ago that GB and GBA titles would become available as DSiWare in the future.
                          I was talking about GB/GBC/GBA titles on Wii's Virtual Console shop. As in, playing Metroid Fusion on my big screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                            I was talking about GB/GBC/GBA titles on Wii's Virtual Console shop. As in, playing Metroid Fusion on my big screen.
                            I know you were making a Malacite wish.

The DSi Store was in the works for quite some time, though, so it only makes sense they'd save the portable software for the portable system.

Also, we should be pretending Metroid Fusion never happened, instead of wanting to play it again.

Comment

I know you were making a Malacite wish.

because it's not like Nintendo has ever made it possible to play portable games on your home system before. clearly unrealistic.

Comment

Working...
                              X