Resident Evil 5 Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 5 Demo

Well it's out now on XBL, PSN gets it Feb 2.

My 1st impression was it was way too hard, but I got the hang of it after I checked out an FAQ.

As I predicted, the controls are a total bitch compared to Dead Space since Capcom still hasn't gotten it through their thick skulls that if the RE series is moving away from Survival Horror into Action (and it is, don't kid yourself) they could at least follow Dead Space's example and allow you to aim and fire while moving.

It's completely bullshit that you have to stand still and aim while being mauled from all sides and trying to help out your partner at the same time. It doesn't help build atmosphere, it's just bad gameplay.

The menu is a little weird too. Again, you have to sit still while using the menu (Dead Space had a live menu system as well but IIRC you could still move) and it's a little bit of a pain to try and give your partner an item in the midst of battle.

For some stupid reason you can't sort your menu either. I could not manually place an item into 1 of the 4 hotkey slots, something I hope the retail version will remedy.

The graphics are quite good at least, and the "zombies" are a little more merciful than in RE4 in that if you pop their heads and the los plagas (or w/e the hell it is this time) comes out you're not instantly fucked. They just seem to keep charging at you (though this is actually much rarer than in RE4; you can still bust their heads with the thing coming out but they will still die) rather than extending outward and strangling you or spiking your or w/e bullshit they did in RE4.

All griping aside the demo was still quite fun (the Chainsaw part was very intense) and the retail will undoubtedly be a smash. I'm just disappointed in Capcom for abandoning true survival horror for a more arcade style with ammo and power ups everywhere and shitty controls. I mean, they actually gave the Knife it's own button this time (speaking of which, the control scheme is quite annoying to get used to as there are a number of button combos)

The melee attacks are very cool. Chris and Sheva can even bounce an enemy back and forth with Chris landing a 3rd and final "finishing move" (I believe Sheva has her own as well if she starts the combo) and it's a nice way to conserve ammo. Too bad ammo is generally fairly plentiful though which makes it more for show/fun rather than a strategic attack (except in the case of the Chainsaw Guy or the Executioner; those bastards take a huge beating)
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: Resident Evil 5 Demo

Shame they'd take a step backwards with the control scheme, after RE4Wii.

Comment

RE4 Wii doesn't control that splendidly either; Dead Space still kicks any RE game's controls easily. It's great but like Gears, it's likely only going to be really enjoyable with a friend, and even moreso playing splitscreen.
      PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
      Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
      WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
      Currently Playing:
      FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
        Shame they'd take a step backwards with the control scheme, after RE4Wii.
        I think its less of a step backwards, and more of a step nowheres....

I also really enjoyed Dead Space's controls, and I think its because I could move around while aiming... it just doesnt make sense that this bad ass character cant move and aim.... can he tie his shoe and chew bubble gum? probably not...
        "We ride with kings on mighty steeds across the Devil's plain!" - The D

Ryddia / Nuikoa -- Ragnarok

Comment

Impressive as the grafix were... I was turned off completely by the clunky controls. In addition, I didn't like the fact that the zombies/infected in the CS were quick kinda like 28Days Later... then the CS ends and they are nothing like what the CS showed... they are slow and plodding. The discrepancy between the two was just too sharp.
          FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
          FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
          aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Me and a mate got this from the XBL marketplace and after 30 minutes of dying going up against the executioner and not knowing what to do we almost gave up and then a miracle happened... we killed the executioner!!! ... then was quickly killed by zombies during our momentary stunned lapse in judgement... but the next time we got through the level and was close to not trying the Shanty Town level.

So glad we did... it convinced us to buy the game!!!

Only thing the demo doesn't do is tell you that the D-Pad allows for quick draw or give you any real direction on the Executiooners level which is a real turn off...

Also the stabbing... these two kick and punch zombies off each other yet... they're rooted to the spot when they're using a knife, meanwhile zombies with bats are smacking you with baseball bats...

Comment

You don't have to kill the executioner. Just survive long enough and the stage ends.

That first stage is atrocious; not fun at all but the Shanty Town provides a lot of good times and proves how well the co-op dynamic works for the game.
              PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
              Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
              WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
              Currently Playing:
              FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by meSchnitzel View Post
                I also really enjoyed Dead Space's controls, and I think its because I could move around while aiming... it just doesnt make sense that this bad ass character cant move and aim.... can he tie his shoe and chew bubble gum? probably not...
                Not only that but Isac could run in any direction, even backwards. You don't have to turn around like in RE, you can simply run diagnoly. IIRC you can also still move while going through your real-time inventory (yet another bad mistake on Capcom's part, especially if your partner really needs an item that's not hot-keyed) @.@ it took me forever to figure out that you need to examine the gate to trigger the next scene (which is bullshit given Chris already Radio'd in for help. I mean WTF classic Capcom plot-holing) and the FAQ mentions something about the Executioner breaking the gate for you but... this never happened for me.

And I agree, the 1st stage is nothing but stress. I called it didn't I? I totally fucking called it months ago, if Capcom wants to move the games this direction they need to revamp the fucking controls similar to Dead Space! I'm sure some people are tired of the constant comparison but Dead Space was just so well made it can't be helped. It's a damn shame too because RE5 is doing something I've wanted for a long time which is online CO-OP. (Anyone who mentions Outbreak will be shot)

Personally I think Capcom exhausted the last of their talent with DMC 3 (maybe even DMC 1?) The quality of their action oriented titles has been dropping steadily in my eyes and they are in bad need of a rude awakening, similar to what Nintendo needs in regards to the Wii. Microsoft, Sonyand EA have already gotten theirs, time for some more to go around.
                Last edited by Malacite; 01-27-2009, 01:49 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Resident Evil 5 /= Dead Space -.-

Resident Evil 5 was said to have RE4's controls, long ago, and people only bitch and moan now!

Dead Space is awesome, I will say that (and I know this was said to not be true)
                  but RE5 is survival horror, not action

oh and on a side note.... the problem is not the Wii, but the games that are being made for it -.- all the first party Nintendo games are pretty good, its all the third party ones that are "meh" and please look into Fatal Frame 4 before saying anything about the Wii's graphic abilities.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Mal, stop ranting already. We get the point that you don't like the controls.

Honestly, wake me up when the series is back with Leon and Ada, everything other installment of the RE series is a fucking bore.

Also, how is it they can make Sheva all DAYUM and they can't draw male biceps right for Chris? He looks like a freak. Capcom can clearly draw women - as evidenced by RE4's Ada and RE5's Sheva, but learn to draw dudes just once. Capcom does fine by Leon and Dante, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                      Mal, stop ranting already. We get the point that you don't like the controls.

Honestly, wake me up when the series is back with Leon and Ada, everything other installment of the RE series is a fucking bore.

Also, how is it they can make Sheva all DAYUM and they can't draw male biceps right for Chris? He looks like a freak. Capcom can clearly draw women - as evidenced by RE4's Ada and RE5's Sheva, but learn to draw dudes just once. Capcom does fine by Leon and Dante, at least.

I will say though, the story as a whole, is great as hell, ever so often, I play all of them in order, to refresh the story, sooo great.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                        RE5 is survival horror, not action
                        survival horror my ass, they stopped doing that. If some random farmer dude drops ammo for my pistol then it just seems like another action/shooter to me

Read if you don't value your braincells.

Comment

The old controls worked well with the Survival Horror games, but only a fool would want to keep those same controls now that the games have switched to Survival Action.

RE4 (as good as it was) really needed Dead Space controls so Ganados could move faster, and I'm pretty this one will too. But then again Capcom is probably just too stubborn about it to accept it.

Edit PS > Oi Mal WTF? Why didn't you tell me I was gonna have to fight Lelouch in Valkyria? I almost had a heart attack when I saw him pop in his little tank. (yeah I got pwned pretty bad the first time... although I was able to pull A rank on my second try)

PPS > Man Valkyria is awesome, can't wait for the Anime.
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

It's not survival horror when ammo and money drop from killing enemies.

It's not survival horror when you can run around shooting all nilly-willy and not run out of fucking ammo.

It's not survival horror when the games aren't even scary.

As far as I'm concerned, RE:0 was the last one.

Also I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out but you're right Chris does look weird.
                            Last edited by Malacite; 01-27-2009, 11:23 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Played the demo a while back when it was leaked and all I remember is not liking the controls and the new inventory screen. I also vaguely remember being hit directly in the mouth with a huge axe.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Working...
                              X