Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you get someone started on gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you get someone started on gaming?

Let's say you have a friend who wanted to start gaming. They gave you $500 to spend on gaming stuff, any way you like. Alternatively, imagine you're making a gaming setup for your guest room, or a club or other public space; not composed of your PERSONAL favorites, but what you think would appeal to a wide range of people, and get people who previously haven't been interested in games playing them.

Would you spend your $500 on a more modern console, and get fewer games? Go with cheaper, downloadable/bargain bin games? Go with a classic console, like an SNES? A handheld system?

For the purposes of this exercise, computers and piracy aren't allowed, because they simply open up far far too much without any cost. Also assume that everything is bought new. Try to use accurate prices. See http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/vid...ain-games.html and amazon.com for reference. Don't worry about S&H and tax. Assume that you nothing about the person's preferences, and you have to make it with a lump purchase (no going back later to see what they prefer, and then buying based on that). Keep hardware limitations in mind-- if you get a PS3 without backwards compatibility, don't pick out PS2 games, or if you get a PS2 without a hard drive slot, don't think of FFXI.

Personally, I'd go with:

$130 PlayStation 2 -- Still has plenty of must-play games, and works fine. Also very cheap, compared to any current gen. Huge library, and in my opinion games which are generally more playable, compared to the PS1. The biggest downside is honestly not having Nintendo games, which like them or not are largely associated with gaming in general; Mario especially.
    $17 PS2 memory card -- overpriced, but whatchagonnado.
    $4 PS1 memory card -- See above. Also, Sony, you dumbasses, why couldn't you make a partition on the PS2 memory card or something?
    $18 DualShock 2 -- For multiplayer.
    $20 Final Fantasy XII -- I think this is about the perfect first game. Simple surface, but with plenty of depth. Can be rather slow paced and controlled if you want, or can be more fast paced and chaotic. Beautiful, mostly great story, and the music's not bad. Also the closest a game can really come to being an MMO without any online content.
    $10 Katamari Damacy -- if you don't understand this, you CLEARLY have not played it.
    $30 GTA: The Trilogy -- So much to do here. Quite possibly the most influential series in gaming in the past decade. Clearly one of if not the best example of an open world game, not counting MMOs.
    $30 MGS: Essential collection -- I honestly think this is one of the best stories told in gaming, and the gameplay itself is pretty good if hard on newcomers. Very replayable to boot.
    $30 Persona 3: FES -- For all the depth, the gameplay is entirely turn based so it's not too hard to play. (Learning how is another matter). There is an unbelievable amount of content on the disk; it could give GTA a run for its money in terms of game length.
    $18 Shadow of the Colossus -- If none of the above do, this is THE game that clearly proves this medium is a form of art.
    $30 Rachet and Clank/Sly Cooper -- Walmart.com - Always Low Prices! ; I've actually not played these, but they look like fine platformers from everything I've seen and played (demos).
    $30 Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec/Dynasty Warriors 4 -- Again, the Wal-mart bundle dealy. I personally don't like sim racers, but Gran Turismo is always a good tech demo; and some people will like it. I've only played Dynasty Warriors 5 on Xbox, but I haven't seen any real change in the series. Not for everyone, but not bad.
    $11 Last Year's Madden -- Again, not a fan of sports games, but some are. And there's not much of a point getting the newest Madden, unless you're really, really interested in making your own fantasy roster.
    $40 DDR SuperNova2 -- With dance pad. DDR is very underappreciated, and after getting someone into gaming it's only polite to give them a way to work off all the weight they're doomed to gain.
    $20 Burnout Revenge -- Burnout is the one racing game I enjoy playing. Clearly, a driving game where half the point is driving badly is doing something very right.
    $20 Tony Hawk's Underground -- "Extreme Sports" games have died off somewhat, and would probably be completely forgotten about by now were it not for EA and Skate. That doesn't mean they were any less good BEFORE we got bored with them, though.
    $10 Soul Calibur 2 -- Not a fan personally, but fighting games are another important genre.

I think this leaves me with around $20-40 in change (I closed my calculator without thinking about it, and am far too lazy to check again), which I would probably use on the below:
    HONORABLE MENTIONS:
    Resident Evil 4 -- A great game, surely, but I just cannot recommend it to anyone who might ever think about considering buying a Wii. RE4Wii is simply incredible, and the best version.
    Okami -- An incredible game, but as with RE4 I would have a hard time recommending it with the possibility of the Wii version. However, the Wii version is far less of an improvement here, with there being a strong argument for the PS2 version being better. It depends on your preferences.

Re: How would you get someone started on gaming?

Without getting into too much detail, if I wanted to get a non-gamer into games, I'd get em a Wii. I think Nintendo has pretty much proven the Wii to be the gaming console for non-gamers and gamers alike. Hell, I came home from work yesterday night and found both my parents playing Wii sports. Neither of them have played a video game since Centipede was all the rage back in the day.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
    ------
    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

I agree with the Wii. Bowling, Tennis, Mario Party, and Cooking Mama. Since the Wii can play older games via downloads, maybe get some Mario Titles in there to get used to a little faster paced action.
      Thanks Kazuki.
      Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Aye, the wii should also help with the social asspect of it all. Even better if for a club. Allowing the peeps to play against each other etc. etc...course that might cause a brawl..and that's another game entirly.

Comment

I'd go with
          Wii 249.99,
          Nunchuck x 4 = 80,
          Wiimote x 2 = 80,
          Remote Play (With Wiimote) 50 or Swap in another game probably Smash Bros Brawl lol

Total Price = $477.54 (Local Tax .06)

Or if you wanted to slug it out with about 5000 other people that'll want one

Black Friday Ads 2008 - Nintendo Wii Family Bundle - Console, 3 Wii Remotes, 3 Nunchuks and 3 Games at Sam's Club and some change left over for some games lol.

Total Price = $261.98

Only going with Wii because Wii is a Next-Gen console, but it is more geared towards family & friends play than online gaming.
          Last edited by Durahansolo; 11-12-2008, 04:33 AM.
          {New Sig in the works}
          -----------------------
          "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
          "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
          Originally posted by Solymir
          What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

I specifically avoided the Wii because it simply doesn't have the library yet (and likely won't until 2012 at least), same as the other modern consoles.

And I don't see the point of getting four Wii remotes, four nunchuks, the console, and not having any money left over to actually play games.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
              I specifically avoided the Wii because it simply doesn't have the library yet (and likely won't until 2012 at least), same as the other modern consoles.

And I don't see the point of getting four Wii remotes, four nunchuks, the console, and not having any money left over to actually play games.
              I was thinking that most people just starting out on gaming are looking towards fun and not towards actual content. Out of all the games I bought I think I played Wii Sports the most. You were real general with the background of who you were buying the system for so I made mine for a family setting. BTW you only bought one Dual Shock, You didn't state how many people would be playing with the person you are buying the system for. If I remember correctly the PS2 only has 2 ports so if you wanted to play 4v4 you'd have to buy 3 Dual Shock controllers and a Multitap (LOL do they still make those). Now that I think about it, I think all of the Wii Sports multiplayer games can be played with one controller except baseball and boxing. If we were only using 2 controllers then you can take off 120 bucks and buy some more games. I was gonna list some Gamecube games you could buy with that leftover money, but you'd need the GC controllers to play them.

I wonder how many girls in the world can say now that they "Are a Gamer" because they or their boyfriend owns a Wii and they play it.

The list you provided is good for ps2, although I think I'd probably swap Burnout 3 for Burnout Revenge, but I loved both of them about the same lol. Gran Turismo 3 was my favorite game in the franchise. I'd toss Soul Calibur 2 and THUG for Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 if you could get it for the price it used to be years ago. Now its like $100 bucks since they are hard as hell to find now.
              {New Sig in the works}
              -----------------------
              "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

"Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.

Comment

Its a shame excluding emulators. $500 bucks you could probably scrape out enought for the wood, hardware and computer to make an Arcade box. Then emulator everything before 2005.

With the above cut out, I would have to also go with the Wii + the game that came witht he extra controller (Wii play?) and possibly one other game. Then all remaining money would be spent on those controllers that plug into the TV with like 100+ games coded in on them. But thats just my experience get people I know hooked, It probably is more dependant on the people your trying to get hooked. Soccer Mom, Jock, Girlfriend, that dude that still plays magic cards, all are gonna get hooked differently.
                Midgard:
                75SMN\5XWHM\37BLM\37RDM\the rest 15+

WOW:
                80 PLD\80 DRU\60Mage\60 Shamen\the rest 30+

RL:
                lvl 75 - EE\CMPE\CMPSCI

Comment

My problem is there are tons of people who will play lots of Wii games or Guitar Hero but they aren't any closer to understanding "video gaming". Maybe that sounds elitist, but "Bowling, Tennis, Mario Party, and Cooking Mama" don't exactly prove video games to be much further along than Space Invaders. Not that I have a problem with those games. Just... it's basically all Wii has. The more people who see that as the only dimension of gaming means more people who still don't understand mature games exist (my brother used to work retail and always informed parents that the copies of GTA he was selling were not meant for anyone under the age of 17. They were always shocked).

For my part, if I'm getting someone into "gaming", I'm showing them that video games are just another avenue for good storytelling.

>.>
                  <.<

Though I'd add Devil May Cry to Feba's list.
                  Last edited by Lmnop; 11-12-2008, 06:32 AM.
                  "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by CroweMidgard View Post
                    Then all remaining money would be spent on those controllers that plug into the TV with like 100+ games coded in on them.
                    LOL locally there was a booth in the mall selling those with a bunch of Atari style games coded into them. What eventually happened was they were shutdown because the system was a form of a Atari Emulator and they weren't licensed by Atari to use or sell the systems.
                    {New Sig in the works}
                    -----------------------

Comment

1- Yeah, the Wii is fun, but if you're trying to actually get someone into GAMING it's not that great. Again, it simply doesn't have the library yet, and neither does the PS3 or 360. The PS2 has the strongest library of any console, ever. Hell, it might even beat out Windows, when you look at compatibility problems between versions. Simple example; RPGs. The Wii doesn't really have much in the way of RPGs; especially if you exclude the virtual console. The ones that are there are mostly not very good. I haven't heard much about good turn-based fantasy RPGs (such as Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy) on 360 or PS3, either.
                      1a- The Wii also has newer games, thus more expensive. This is also why I went with Burnout Revenge over Takedown. When you're on a limited budget, and you're not really sure what you'd like, it's better to be able to spread your money around than to have to sink it into one or two things. $30 on, say, Metroid Prime 3 or Takedown is potentially two or three games of lesser cost.
                      1b- you mention another thing, gamecube games. These would be a decent source of games for Wii, if not for having to buy a controller which will eat further into your cost. Not to mention Nintendo followed in Sony's footsteps, presumably because everyone who works in video game saves is a giant dick, and required last gen memory cards to save last gen games on their current gen system; so toss in the price of a memory card.
                      1c- The Gamecube would be a passable choice, and iirc it's down around $50-80 new now. It has a strong library, but it's sort of like the Eiffel Tower compared to the Pyramids. The Eiffel Tower is impressive, sure, but when you put them side by side one of them is a clear and obvious winner. That said, if I had someone who wanted to see what this whole Mario and Zelda thing was about, I would... actually, I'd get them a Wii. Wind Waker is fine, but I don't think I could recommend WW and Sunshine over TP and Galaxy.
                      2p- Yes. Two controllers is sufficient for multiplayer. We've had two player far longer than four player. Any more controllers and you're spending a significant amount of money on them instead of games. If a controller is as low as $20, and you buy three extra instead of one, that's $40 that could've been spent on games

Comment

I would not buy somebody a Wii if I wanted to get them into video games. Just an Xbox 360 and the original Halo for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
                          Just... it's basically all Wii has.
                          Not true at all. You should know better, alphabet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
                            My problem is there are tons of people who will play lots of Wii games or Guitar Hero but they aren't any closer to understanding "video gaming". Maybe that sounds elitist, but "Bowling, Tennis, Mario Party, and Cooking Mama" don't exactly prove video games to be much further along than Space Invaders. The more people who see that as the only dimension of gaming means more people who still don't understand mature games exist (my brother used to work retail and always informed parents that the copies of GTA he was selling were not meant for anyone under the age of 17. They were always shocked).

For my part, if I'm getting someone into "gaming", I'm showing them that video games are just another avenue for good storytelling.

>.>
                            <.<

Though I'd add Devil May Cry to Feba's list.
                            I think the point of gaming is supposed to be entertainment. With entertainment being a broad example, that could mean Story, Comedy, Drama, Character Traits, Fun, Love, Hate, Death, Revenge, Excitement, Engaging, and etc. Any combination should be able to make a good game as long as the player can relate with the characters and have fun while playing. Those traits listed could also fit inside a setting of a movie, anime, book as well. That is why we get alot of games that are based on movies.

I take back what I said about Marvel vs. Capcom, I'm gonna add Bloody Roar 2 and 3 to the list instead. Bloody Roar 2 was like the first main fighting game I ever played. We would play 1v1 with the following rules:

Winner would stay on until he lost.

Loser would pass controller to the next person in line.

If someone who lost was beaten very badly and called "Revenge!" before he passed the controller, he was allowed a rematch against the person who beat him. After rematch was over, if the original winner lost he had to pass the joystick as well as the person who lost the first time. However if the original winner won then only the loser would have to pass the joystick.

Mind you we played this game with like 4-6 people so it was a challenge lol.

Xbox would cheaper if you are just going to play xbox games. Throw in Fusion Frenzy for a party game.
                            Last edited by Durahansolo; 11-12-2008, 06:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            {New Sig in the works}
                            -----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
                              Any combination should be able to make a good game as long as the player can relate with the characters and have fun while playing.
                              Eh. I honestly can't relate with most video game protagonists-- and why should I? Unless I AM the main character (Bioshock, Half-Life, very rarely is this even attempted), what I think of the character isn't nearly as important as how the character impacts the story and presentation in general. And frankly, fun in video games is somewhat overrated. Being interested is far far more important than having fun. Like a good novel, you don't have to be smiling and laughing and having a good time in order to thoroughly enjoy it. Obviously being bored isn't good, but if all you're looking for is 'fun', you're going to skip right over a lot of the greatest parts of gaming.

Comment

Working...
                              X