• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu Ray coming to the 360

XBOX 360 Finally Getting Blu-ray - Tom's Hardware

3:40 PM - May 2, 2008 by Kevin Tu
    Source: Tom's Hardware – Keywords: xbox, blu-ray, 360
    Categories: Business

After months of rumors and denials, the XBOX 360 with a Blu-ray disc drive is due to be manufactured soon and shipped in Q3 of 2008. Pegatron Technology, an OEM subsidiary of Asustek Computer, is reported to have received the winning order from Microsoft for a Blu-ray equipped XBOX 360.

Earlier reports cited Lite-On as the company with the privilege of building the new console for Microsoft. Lite-On is also currently one of the suppliers of the internal DVD drive fro the XBOX 360.

One of the strong points for Sony’s Playstation 3 has been the integrated Blu-ray player. The PS3 had the ability to draw both gamers and audio/video enthusiast, and this was proving to be a major advantage over its XBOX rival. It is estimated that 85% of Blu-ray players in use are PS3s. Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer had admitted that Microsoft had been working on support for Blu-ray under Windows during this year’s Mix08 conference. Rumors began to swirl and many began to expect Microsoft to announce a Blu-ray peripheral for the XBOX 360.

However, Microsoft came out and denied all rumors, stating that they were not exploring any kind of Blu-ray add-on or in talks with Sony about integrating Blu-ray into the XBOX experience. The software giant stated they would continue to invest in its XBOX Live online service as the means of high-definition content delivery. Toshiba received a crushing blow earlier this year at CES that Warner Brothers would be Blu-ray exclusive. This eventually led to Toshiba withdrawing from the HD format war and the demise of the XBOX 360’s HD-DVD add-on. It is interesting to note that sales of the XBOX 360 lagged behind Sony’s PS3 in the month of February, the same month Toshiba withdrew.

Many expected the death of HD-DVD would trigger a growth in Blu-ray hardware sales. However, to the dismay of the industry, acceptance and adoption of Blu-ray has been dismal.

The PS3 is one of the cheapest (relatively speaking) Blu-ray players available — and you get the console thrown in for good measure.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Re: Blu Ray coming to the 360

Damn it. I was going to buy a 360 in a few weeks. Now I have to decide if Blu Ray is enough reason to hold off.

Comment

Hopefully it won't die the day I pick it up.

No, I do not have a life.

Comment

I dont see MS putting Blue-ray in the 360, and if they do, it will be for video only, and not games......

"The PS3 is one of the cheapest (relatively speaking) Blu-ray players available — and you get the console thrown in for good measure."

I hate this saying, because its not true, its the other way around -.-

the PS3 is a video game console with a cheap ass, limited blue-ray player in it.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

You're wrong, Kailea, but no amount of telling you that will convince you.

I've already decided that Blu-Ray isn't enough reason to hold off. I'll pick up a 360 in a couple of weeks.

Comment

If blue ray is adopted by MS (I'll believe it when I see it.), they may have an add on like they did with the HD-DVD. I just bought another 360 a few weeks ago and it would be nice to have both add-ons.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

This is a rumor only, and still remains a not-too-credible one. The cost involved with putting in a 12x DVD-speed capable Blu-ray drive would sink Microsoft's gaming division deeply into the red.

Icemage

Comment

I...really don't see the point.
                PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                Currently Playing:
                FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

I don't see MS as releasing a new 360 with a built in BR drive. It would piss off old customers, and almost certainly be sold at a huge loss. There's also very little reason to integrate it, as games still wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, unless they want to completely dump their userbase and start over.

It makes some sense in the PS3, since they've had it from the start, and they can take advantage of that in games.

Although I still personally couldn't care less about whether a console supports HD media. Until companies start releasing (and rereleasing) DVD box sets as single Bluray disks, it's absolutely useless to me; and even then I don't see physical media as having a very long future. Plus the fact that copyright will probably break down quickly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                    the PS3 is a video game console with a cheap ass, limited blue-ray player in it.
                    Actually, the PS3 has the best blu-ray player currently available. I believe its the only BR player currently with the 2.0 profile and now has DTS-HD codecs.

I've been hearing this rumor for the last few weeks, and from the rumors I've heard it will be a peripheral add-on a la the HD-DVD drive like TGM mentioned. Will it happen? No clue. BR sales are picking up, albeit slowly, and money has a way of changing companies' minds.
                    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

I can see why MS will do it. BR is the champ of the new format battle. 5 of the major mvie companies have already backed it 3 of which switched from HD-DVD (as per my money sense magazine).

As for BR player in the ps3 its Identical to my sony BR standalone. (and sees alot more use)

sig courtesy tgm
                      retired -08

Comment

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
                        BR is the champ of the new format battle.
                        Yeah, but it's adoption rate is still very low.

Comment

>_> won't they have to pay obscene royalties to Sony as it's theirs?
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
                            I can see why MS will do it. BR is the champ of the new format battle. 5 of the major mvie companies have already backed it 3 of which switched from HD-DVD (as per my money sense magazine).

As for BR player in the ps3 its Identical to my sony BR standalone. (and sees alot more use)
                            Actually all six of the major studios in Hollywood now support Blu-ray (or at least have upcoming release dates):

Disney
                            Sony
                            Fox
                            Universal
                            Paramount
                            MGM

Lionsgate also supports Blu-ray.

The only question marks at this point are Dreamworks SKG (were tied to Paramount Pictures until May 1 of this year), Dreamworks Animation (separate from DW SKG), and Weinstein.

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                            >_> won't they have to pay obscene royalties to Sony as it's theirs?
                            Sony doesn't own the patent pool for Blu-ray. They do own the Blu-ray name trademarks, but that's only a small fraction of what the technology patent royalties are. No one knows for sure how the split breaks down, but Sony, Disney, Matushita (better known in the USA as Panasonic), and Warner Brothers are all major contributors, and I would expect all of the above to get some fractional cut of the royalties. Rumor has it that Panasonic's share is the largest, as they contribute the most patents.

Icemage

Comment

I guess lemme be the first to say:

"Who... cares?"

So Microsoft decided to jump on the HD band-wagon. Big deal.

HD won't get big for a few more years when HD TVs are much more mainstream and the prices aren't so outrageous.

It's like comparing DVD to VHS back in the day. Sure DVDs are a lot more impressive, but no one could afford the equipment so the market grew slowly. In few years, when BR players are more affordable, this will be a lot more satisfying.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                              ------
                              Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                              When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Working...
                              X