Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Ye Who Doubt the PS3

PS3s used to simulate black hole collisions - Joystiq

Harnessing the Power of the Cell Broadband Engine Processor : High Bandwidth Video

Eat it. Not a super computer my ass. Kutaragi
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: Attention Ye Who Doubt the PS3

Damn it stop reading the same news feeds on Google that I read! :p
    Hacked on 9/9/09
    FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Apple's G4 line were super computers too; what's your point? The workstation on my desk qualifies as a super computer, and hell, so does this MacBook.

Why are they using PS3's for that is a more interesting question, and the answer has nothing to do with how awesome Sony or the PS3 is or is not.
      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Back in 2006, yes a whole 2 years ago, they did a similar simulation using NASA's computers, and it took 2000 processors to do what this Playstation 3 grid can do.

Black holes collide in the best simulation yet - space - 18 April 2006 - New Scientist Space
        Hacked on 9/9/09
        FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

The PS3 being capable of simulating black hole collisions won't make me want to pay for one. (Brawl, on the other hand, made me buy a Wii.)

Comment

well at the time of its release the ps3 was regarded as one of the most powerful computing devices outside a think lab.

if it was cost effective to replace compontents every time a new video card came out for example it would still be light years ahead of home PC's etc. (Which i think the OP is implying)

As for direct comaprison to its competitiors the PS3 trumps them all with pure performance power. The only thing lacking in the PS3 is the lack of a wall of software for it. However the abiity to backwards compatible (and convert certain later released PS2 games into HD) makes it still Trump anything xbox or wii has to offer.

Personally i owned a 360 and PS3, ive since sold my 360 for a bag of party treats and made 2.4K. I also use it far more than my PC for everything music>gaming>internet>movies. Its the only next Gen System that effectivley rolled a living room or den into one machine Kudos to you sony, now give me a decent VR in 6 years and ill be your eccenomic slave for life.

sig courtesy tgm
            retired -08

Comment

CELL is a beast, and remain as such for about another 3-5 years until we get Quantum Processors.

You gotta admit though that it's freaking awesome that the technology in a videogame console is advancing science and health care.
              sigpic

Comment

As for direct comaprison to its competitiors the PS3 trumps them all with pure performance power. The only thing lacking in the PS3 is the lack of a wall of software for it. However the abiity to backwards compatible (and convert certain later released PS2 games into HD) makes it still Trump anything xbox or wii has to offer.
                Um, no, because the Wii and X-Box 360 also have backwards compatibility? Not to mention the Wii basically doubles as a GameCube whereas (correct me if I'm wrong) the PS3 can't run every PS2 game.
                You gotta admit though that it's freaking awesome that the technology in a videogame console is advancing science and health care.
                Yeah, it is pretty impressive/cool.

Comment

Ive personally never had an issue running any ps2 or ps1 game in a library of about 75 games. I think you thinking of the XBOX 360 and its lack of backwards combatibility, when i got it i wasnt able to play halo 1 on it. At least until i bought a hard drive addition for it then i could.

Ya its sweet that a video game system does while governments debate over the issue of video games.

sig courtesy tgm
                  retired -08

Comment

Jeez, fanboy.
                    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                    Currently Playing:
                    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

But can it play games? :p

Perhaps games that simulate proteins folding inside of black holes. Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                        Ya, if video game console meant something other then a computer in a pretty box.
                        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Its not that I don't want a PS3, its just that its still so retardedly expensive that not even franchises I love can make me want to buy one.

That's a problem, don't ya think?
                          Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 03-05-2008, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                            Its not that I don't want a PS3, its just that its still so retardedly expensive that not even franchises I love can make me want to buy one.

That's a problem, don't ya think?
                            Once you buy the console, you're in. You're not going to buy only a single game, not for a console that cost an arm and a leg. You're probably going to pimp it out with controllers for your friends, and you're going to get all the hot games to go with it.

Or not. The point is one people make the investment the money train wont stop there.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far Dak. I my PS3 but I'm not about to go out and buy every little thing for it (though I have gotten a number of accessories @ discount :D)

The PS3 is, for the last time, not too expensive when you consider all that comes with it. As to whether or not people want to pay for it, well, that's entirely up to them.

Oh yeah and apparently someone found pictures of a new 120 GB skew from Best Buy and it's Backwards Compatible ><;

Sony better not make me regret buying my 60 GB during that summer liquidation sale.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X