Don't buy that 60GB PS3!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Don't buy that 60GB PS3!

I found it very entertaining with the Wii Mote (Unlike Red Steel, ugh)
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I wonder if Nintendo will lower the Wii's price next year, I'd like to buy it dirt cheap if I could since I'm just buying it for very few games (and some GC games like the REs).
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Also, the Wii is awesome for people who never had a GC in the first place. Yay!
        Originally posted by Yygdrasil
        Originally posted by Nandito
        Ponies.

Duh.
        You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master View Post
          Aeni,. Blu-ray Disc is not Sony technology. Sony did not invent Blu-ray Disc and they are not the company behind its marketing. They're merely one of its biggest supporters. Sony was losing over $250 per console when they launched the PS3. Seeing as how they posted around $1.9 billion in losses, I highly doubt they were aiming to rip people off. The value in the PS3 is far beyond $600 for what you get, and no one is pointing a gun to anyone's head forcing them to buy it for that much. That's why most people wait for price drops, so they can buy the console when its price reflects their perceived value of the product.
          Blu-ray Disc has gained a large amount of support in the corporate world,[28] with companies such as Apple Inc., Hewlett-Packard, Dell, and Panasonic supporting it. Blu-ray Disc was first developed by Sony Corporation in 2002[29] as a next generation data and video storage format alternative to DVD.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Also your argument that Sony was losing as much as $250 a unit is almost a cop-out feeble attempt to justify the high price. The PS2 was causing Sony to lose that much if not more per unit, and yet it was introduced at a lower price point.

Again ... lack of support for new fangled technology = you got a shitty console made.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni
            The PS2 was causing Sony to lose that much if not more per unit, and yet it was introduced at a lower price point.
            Technically, that was because Sony didn't produce enough consoles at release. They didn't gain as much as they could have. Also, Sony only lost 13.93 billion yen in it's first quarter. That's 117,541.34 USD. Now, unless you carry that decimal point over 3 spaces to the right, it's nowhere near the loss they suffered with the PS3.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA620505.html

Originally posted by Videobusiness
            Sony officials said 1.84 million units of the PS3 were shipped worldwide during the quarter, which contributed to an overall 5.6% sales lift in Sony’s game unit to 442.8 billion yen ($3.7 billion). But the game division drew an operating income loss of 54.2 billion yen ($455 million).
            http://www.videobusiness.com/article...tml?q=ps3+loss

As you can see, there's really no contest here. Sony reamed themselves on the PS3. But it was pluses everywhere else.

FYI, the PS2's initial price was $300.

Sony expects to break even on the PS3 by March 2008.

I wonder if Nintendo will lower the Wii's price next year, I'd like to buy it dirt cheap if I could since I'm just buying it for very few games (and some GC games like the REs)
            Nintendo probably won't do it until the Wii hype goes down. I'd give it about 6 months at least.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiberOpticks View Post
              Also, Sony only lost 13.93 billion yen in it's first quarter. That's 117,541.34 USD. Now, unless you carry that decimal point over 3 spaces to the right, it's nowhere near the loss they suffered with the PS3.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA620505.html
              If you're going to quote, then quote the correctly.

Weak PS2 sales resulted in an operating loss of 13.93 billion yen in its games division in Sony's most recent quarter, down from a profit of 57.74 billion yen a year earlier.
              Not first quarter loss. The time when that article was written, PS2 was already a year old.

Sony experienced a company-wide loss of $1.2+ billion (120 billion yen) in the 2000 Holiday Season. Any bets as to how much loss was incurred by the PS2 from price cuts and aggressive marketing alone?

Comment

If you're going to quote, then quote the correctly.

Sony experienced a company-wide loss of $1.2+ billion (120 billion yen) in the 2000 Holiday Season. Any bets as to how much loss was incurred by the PS2 from price cuts and aggressive marketing alone?
                Wow. Speak for yourself.

Sony profits fell to 146.46 billion yen ($1.24 billion) in the crucial October to December time frame, which generally accounts for more than 50% of the company's total profits. The company's fiscal year ends in March.
                The article states that they earned 146.46 billion yen. But it was considered to be a lesser profit than usual.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                Its development was announced in March 1999, and it was first released in Japan on March 4, 2000, in North America on October 26, 2000 and in Europe on November 24, 2000
                Not first quarter loss. The time when that article was written, PS2 was already a year old.
                Taking into consideration the date of the written article and the release of the PS2, that's about a 3 month difference. Wait a second...3 months / 12 months? That sounds like 1/4 to me. Why...that would make it a quarter. Not only that, but it's the first quarter!

The fact that the PS2 was released during this same holiday season not only makes it the first quarter, but the most recent quarter. Buh-zing. My statement still stands.

Comment

Working...
                X