Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don't buy that 60GB PS3!

Originally posted by Feba View Post
    Dak, while you're at it, care to defend sony from my pointing out that charging 100$ for 20GB of space is GIGANTIC price gouging?
    The guy said himself that the difference between 60GB and 80GB is only cents in Euro. Now I'm no Bill Nye, but I do believe $100 for that same amount is slightly outrageous. Shame they're losing money on every sale anyways.

Some one PLEASE take the 'Thanks!' button away from Yellow Mage.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
      The guy said himself that the difference between 60GB and 80GB is only cents in Euro. Now I'm no Bill Nye, but I do believe $100 for that same amount is slightly outrageous. Shame they're losing money on every sale anyways.

Some one PLEASE take the 'Thanks!' button away from Yellow Mage.

LOL That last line made me laugh at work, thanks.
      Thanks Kazuki.
      Dragoon Equipment

Comment

I think you guys misunderstanding the meaning behind my post. I'm saying don't give into the sony hype, just because it's 100$ cheaper, it's still the same system, if you wern't going to buy it at 599, don't fall for it at 499, ebcause they are fading out that model, and the price cut wasn't really a price cut.
        -Baka Inu!
        Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
        Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
        Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
        Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Comment

Heh, what can I say? I'm a thankful person!

. . . Ba dum dum pish?

Am I in trouble?

EDIT: I've Removed my Thanks, if that'll make you feel better. I just don't see what the problem was in the first place: I just agreed with Feba in saying $100 =/= 20 GB.

Oh, and Ita in saying that we can bash Sony, but not each other ^_^ .
          Last edited by Yellow Mage; 07-13-2007, 11:42 AM.
          Originally posted by Armando
          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
          Originally posted by Armando
          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
          Matthew 16:15

Comment

If I can customize my PS3, I'd remove the blue ray. I just want the thing to play games... hopefully that one alone can lower my price a few hundred more.
            And thus killing a major point in buying the system in the first place (especially given that every single PS3 game is Blu Ray

I'm at a loss for words, I really am. Here I thought Sony had FINALLY smelled the coffee and come to it's senses; I want a PS3 I really do, but I'm not sure if I should go and get one now or wait it out until X-Mas/Boxing Day.

Futurue Shop has it advertised @ $549 ($150 off their normal price) Canadian and it comes with a free movie (you have to pick from 1 of 5 but at least they threw in Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 2) so I'm totally confused...

Lair, MGS4, Heavenly Sword, DMC4 and FF13 are all so awesome looking... and my PS2 is starting to act up on me (mine's an older model, 3rd generation I think) so it'd be good to have a shiny new game system/movie player.

This sounds like a really bad scare tactic to me, to get people to buy it up quickly. Somehow, I just can't believe that any company would shoot themselves in the foot twice over.

EDIT: I KNEW IT!

http://ps3.joystiq.com/

the current top story explains it all.
            Last edited by Malacite; 07-13-2007, 01:05 PM.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
              In any event, if I've spent $500 dollars and don't have three games yet, its not a value.
              It's no great value to you (or me), but better than $599 for 60 GB ... It's all relatively, really. (I ain't buying one even if it drops to $400 and comes with FFXIII, but there are people who would, and did buy at $599 with no bundle... )

Dak's point is still valid, though, and people shouldn't have attacked him for pointing out a minor good news. I mean, since Sony doesn't want to relinquish the $599 price point for some time, yet, so if someone is looking to get a PS3 in the near future, might as well get sooner than while the 60GB version is still around.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
              In fact, $200 for the PS2 HDD - Face it, SE was practically bundling FFXI with it for free - was a rip-off at the time.
              It wasn't free; I think the PS2 FFXI package cost ~$100+ for me. At the time, I remember thinking it's like buying an expensive low capacity hard drive, and getting an FF game free--except it wasn't free, since it had monthly fee.

Dang you, Square--I would have never spent so much money if it didn't say "Final Fantasy" on the package... >_<;
              Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
              yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
              Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
              leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Malacite, Honestly, I'd wait, Lair, MGS4, HS, DMC4, and FF13 are a ways off (even though, Heavenly Sword is closer to release then the rest). Lair is 8/14, HS is 9/4.

MGS4, DMC4, FF13 are still unknown, most likely by Christmas next year (if even then). Honestly, I see another "price cut" of Sony dropping the price back to 499 for the 80GB model before Christmas. The major news media hasn't gotten ahold of this (and SECA is trying to spin it positivly, but what they don't know is Kaz Hirai himself already confirmed that the 60GB model is NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION

This was a shady PR move, and it almost worked, untill the sony exec's got too full of themselves.

I had a feeling that something like this would happen, but I figured that itwas going to be that MGS4 wasn't exclusive anymore.

Malacite, are you forgetting about what happend with the PS2 and the DRE (Disc Read Error) scandal? What about the FFXI+HDD release, all the things they promised with the HDD, then write it off as retconned. What about the 20GB PS3, you don't see that anymore either.

As someone else said "One SKU to rule them all", but what Sony dosn't realize is that people want choices, weither it be COlors, or Options, people want them. I'm susprised Nintendo didn't announce a new Wii color at E3, I was expecting that.
                -Baka Inu!
                Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                  It's no great value to you (or me), but better than $599 for 60 GB ... It's all relatively, really. (I ain't buying one even if it drops to $400 and comes with FFXIII, but there are people who would, and did buy at $599 with no bundle... )
                  As I said before in my post, the Selling point for me is 399 (with amazing games out (FF13, MGS4, White Knight)), or 299 with nothing good out.

To be fair and honest, we wern't attacking him, he just didn't see my logic. Yea, it's a good deal, but it's still null and void, the point I was trying to make was Sony's shady PR tactics, and not to fall into their trap.
                  -Baka Inu!

Comment

I dunno, Sony seems to be doing just fine.

http://ps3.joystiq.com/2007/07/13/en...retton-presid/

That was a really good article, and it sounds like Kaz is doing a much better job than Ken. And last I checked, DMC4 is out this fall, with MGS4 out early 2008. No word on Lair or Heavenly Sword yet though.

Even if they have stopped making the 60 GB model, they said they've got plenty of stock for several months, and it's not like PS3's are flying off the shelves or anything, so I'm not particulalry worried and wouldn't get all worked up over it.

They're looking at sales in terms of the long run. It's worked for them in the past, and it will likely work for them again given the titles we can already look forward to.
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

What Sony is doing is the tried-and-true thing Apple does with its computers: Minor price slashing while phase out older model, at the same time do minor product refresh with a few feature upgrades, but stick to the same price point for as long as possible. That said, I'm not so certain it'll work out for Sony.

I understand why they are doing it, though; they don't want the product to appear cheap/commoditized (sp?), and they don't want to bleed more money per unit. They are willing to accept not being number one platform for console gaming, at least for the moment. They (desperately) want (need?) us to believe a PS3 is worth $600.

Instead of "Owning the Universe", the strategy now is "PS3 is the premium home console". Whether that will or will not put the division back in the black... Well, who knows? With the sharp price drop on blue laser diodes/blue ray player and taking out the PS2 "EE" hardware, the $600 PS3 should be close to breaking even, or at least not hemorrhaging Sony too badly.

Perhaps Sony is counting on games putting PS3 in good light between now and 2008 x-mas, and saving the price cut for 2008 x-mas season? There's really no point to a big price slash now, if people aren't going to load up on games (since the general consensus is that PS3 doesn't have that many great games ATM). Big increases in front end losses now without prospect of return in the new few quarters makes no business sense. Better to wait for whole bunch of exciting games to be on the market first, I think the accountants/business planners would say.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

At least your getting a price cut. its the equivilent of £50 here in the Uk you are getting. But guess what!! Rip off Britain were not getting a single price cut, in fact the cost of the PS3 for us is way more than you pay for it in the US, so think yourself lucky!! We are still paying £400, thats about $780 and thats just for the 60gb version with one controller!!

Comment

Man I hate sensationalist threads, the 60 GB model does indeed cost less now. If they stop producing it or not has nothing to do with the fact that it's 100 bucks cheaper.

The 80 Gb model has +20Gb and includes a game, and as always, if you can't pay that to get started then you should be focusing on the real. You know, trying to get a better income for things much more important than games.

It's like when people comes to the forums complaining because they have to pay a monthly fee. If SE lowered the monthly fee to 5 bucks. Would anyone make a thread about not falling for that price drop because XI is gonna stop service in the next 5 years?

I was really hoping this thread was going to be about legit reasons not to buy a PS3 right now (like for instance waiting till the PS3 included a "Sixashock" controller), but instead we got this.
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Talk about the biggest PR fart in PS3 history.

I understand the business standpoint and I highly doubt Sony will leave consumers with a $599 standalone PS3 once the 60GBs eventually sell out (which will probably take until December or January at the earliest, think about how many must be in the retail and production channels at the moment), but they certainly could have handled this a lot better.

Without clarification it looks like Sony is absolutely trying their hardest to shortchange their customers, and that they must be trying to make the PS3 crash and burn. Sony claims that once 60GB units are depleted, they'll "evaluate market conditions" and announce their plans for their North American market strategy. I don't know about you, but that certainly sounds to me like a very vague "There's no way in hell we're stupid enough to revert back to a standalone SKU for $599, even though it most certainly looks like we are and we will." Unless Sony's marketing team is really that inept, I have no doubt they'll take a long, hard look at the July and August PS3 sales which will probably be the highest since launch.

With proper communication, Sony could have avoided this mess they've caused. If, from the beginning, they stated that the 60GB PS3 was being discounted and discontinued near the end of the year, and that they'd rework their pricing once again after they clear out those units, then they could have continued on with the positive press they've been getting since the beginning of the week. In just one morning, however, they've completely screwed up everything they worked for in the last week.

Despite that I agree with you that this is absolutely retarded on Sony's part, I disagree that people who are interested shouldn't be buying the 60GB PS3 now. If anything, they absolutely should before it's too late. The 80GB model coming August 1st follows the hardware revisions used for Europe, meaning no Emotion Engine, and roughly 12% less backwards compatibility. Granted, Sony's been great about updating BC since the Europe launch, if anyone absolutely wants that 100% BC sooner than later, they should by all means by a 60GB PS3 now.
                            PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                            Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                            WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                            Currently Playing:
                            FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

It's really not that big of a deal.

Comment

It's only a big deal because no one knows what the hell Sony is planning to do once they run out of 60GB units. Hell, it looks like not even Sony knows what they're planning to do.

If Sony would come out right now and blatantly say, "We're going to clear out all our 60GB units in North America, sell the $599 80GB MotorStorm bundle for a few months, and then either add another game and another controller to that bundle or take out the game and charge $499," then it wouldn't be a big deal, and most people would probably be very excited. However, just like it's a bad idea to announce a price drop before it happens, it's a bad idea to announce something like that this many months in advance.

Sony's announced that they'll rework their pricing strategy once they deplete the stock of 60GB units, but that's far too vague to ensure any confidence that they'll do something that's as beneficial as dropping the 60GB PS3 to $499, limited supply or not. Most people are under the impression that Sony's currently charging a minimum of $499 for the PS3, and once the 60GB runs out, they'll only have the option of being charged $599 for just the 80GB PS3, which is most likely not the case. Sony's at fault forever, for not communicating this more clearly to the consumer.

Dak, while you're at it, care to defend sony from my pointing out that charging 100$ for 20GB of space is GIGANTIC price gouging?
                                Microsoft does the exact same thing, and you can't take advantage of the console to its fullest extent without that 20GB. The $179.99 they charge for their 120GB HDD is also an extremely bad deal. They're the ones price gouging, because Sony also offers a $60 game with that $599 bundle, and with the 360, you have no other option for many of their accessories. It costs Sony about $15 to put WiFi in every 60GB PS3. Microsoft charges $99.99 for that same function.

Well, since you don't have a PS3 or a 360, and seeing as how the PS3 has really no downloadable content (minus ps1 games), there's really nothing to fill up that space with.
                                Since you don't have a PS3, you should know that there is plenty of stuff to fill up that space with. From the option to install game files to the HDD to kill off loading times like in Ninja Gaiden Sigma, to already available DLC games like Calling All Cars!, Super Stardust HD, and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection to upcoming major DLC titles like Warhawk and SOCOM: US Navy Seals Confrontation, as well as full mod support for November's Unreal Tournament 3 and quite a bit of add-on game content currently available and demos, many of which size up to over 1GB, it's relatively easy to use up all those 60GB on the PS3. Before I upgraded my own drive to 200GB (which cost me less than the 120GB drive currently available for the 360), I had run completely out of space, because you can also make use of high quality, 1080p video and music. And, well, not to mention the freakin' 11GB FFXI takes up.
                                Last edited by Pai Pai Master; 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM.
                                PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                                Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                                WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                                Currently Playing:
                                FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Working...
                                X