Don't buy that 60GB PS3!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't buy that 60GB PS3!

It has just been confirmed that Sony will be phasing out the "price-cut" 60GB PS3. Once they are gone, they are gone, they are not making anymore. Which pretty much makes this price cut void!

“The US are currently transitioning from the 60GB to the 80GB mode of the PlayStation 3. When stock of the 60GB model runs out it will no longer be available in the U.S.”
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26702

Discuss.
    -Baka Inu!
    Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
    Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
    Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
    Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Re: Don't buy that 60GB PS3!

Ah, the joys of paying 100$ for 20GB of space.

How many years ago did Sony invent these prices?

Comment

I'd have to say with Betamax
      -Baka Inu!
      Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]

Comment

They lowered the price of the 60GB model, and some places are throwing in extra controlers and even free BluRay movies, but we still shouldn't buy it? I don't see how limited availability negates the discount. If anything I'd expect people to hurry up and buy.

Besides, they didn't say anything about cutting off the 60GB model at E3. They announced the release of an 80GB model for those who like to download video games.

Discuss.

Comment

Dark, did you even read the link I posted? This came yesterday, they are cutting the 60GB version completely, making it null. The new 80GB version will be 599.
          -Baka Inu!

Comment

The 60GB version now costs $500, whereas the 80GB will cost $600. The article used Euros and Pounds, and you just threw out a number. Not to mention there's deals like this:

EB Games offering 5 BluRay movies through mail in offer.
            Circuit City offering the same, as well as a free wireless controller.

Comment

I just threw out a number?

How concerned are you about possible criticisms that you should have given European consumers what SCEA has given US consumers, i.e. the option to pay a lower price?

Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game. All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July.

So once the 60GB is gone, that will be the end of the 60GB then?

In America, yes.
              -Baka Inu!

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                I don't see how limited availability negates the discount. If anything I'd expect people to hurry up and buy.
                You don't see how?

Going right back to $600 on the 80 Gb model kills any momentum they hoped to gain from the cut.

Nothing has changed.

Comment

What's you(r) point(s)?

This is about not buying the 60GB model, which at the moment seems to be the better deal.

Comment

Dak, while you're at it, care to defend sony from my pointing out that charging 100$ for 20GB of space is GIGANTIC price gouging?

Comment

hmmm phasing out doesn't mean the 60Gb will be mulfunctioned. They'll still work. So if the price goes lower and lower, it might be a good deal.

I still have no idea what to fit into a 60Gb space...

If I can customize my PS3, I'd remove the blue ray. I just want the thing to play games... hopefully that one alone can lower my price a few hundred more.
                      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Well, since you don't have a PS3 or a 360, and seeing as how the PS3 has really no downloadable content (minus ps1 games), there's really nothing to fill up that space with. Unlike the 360, which gives great content (not an anti-sony, or pro-Microsoft, I'm actually pro both, I'm just tired of companies in general), and according to Kaz Hirai
                        It seems pretty obvious that this should have happened a very long time ago. Now thinking a few steps ahead it just seems like there's just too much of a reliance on physical media -- what's the point of having downloadable 1080p movies for PS3 if you have Blu-ray discs, what's the point of having downloadable movies for PSP if there's UMD? So it seems like you keep on saying, "It's happening, it's happening," but to me it just seems like, "No, get it on one of our physical medias."

Kaz: As I said before, exactly your point, that's exactly the kind of discussions we're having internally, we may ultimately decide that that's the right answer and in which case the ingredients are in place, but you need to come to the determination that we're embarking on the right strategy, so that as I said before jokingly, that Jack is not asked next year, "What is so unique [about your service]? Everybody can download to 1080p."
                        Source
                        Again, Sony won't tell us what they are up to, or what plans they ahve, they keep saying "internal discussion, internal discussion". Well, what about the folks of us who bought a PS2 HDD, and got screwed out of 100$. They kept promising everything that the xbox could do, and yet, they just retconned it, just like they are doing with the PS3. What? 20GB Model, what's that, 60GB Model? What? Who said we ever made it.

My point about "not buying a ps3" right now is that sure, there are some good deals going on, but with them not making anymore, their "price cut" is just a stupid marketing ploy (which I figured out would happen anyway), people bought it in storm, and still, not many people know that it's just a "temp" price.
                        -Baka Inu!

Comment

... I think DakAttack means the 60 GB is a better deal than 80 GB, and implies that for someone interested in getting a PS3 should get one thanks to the price drop and many good deals out there.

He wasn't defending Sony's decision to drop the model and to stay at the $599 price point with the new 80 GB model, as far as I can tell.

If you're mad at Sony's lack of sense, that's fine, but people don't attack people for finding the (temporary) silver lining in Sony's cloudy future... ^_^;
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

So you mean, we don't know what will happen to the console and that the price can still go further down?

btw I bought a 360 already D:
                            But I haven't played much games on it. Only Winning 2007.... >.>;
                            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                              ... I think DakAttack means the 60 GB is a better deal than 80 GB, and implies that for someone interested in getting a PS3 should get one thanks to the price drop and many good deals out there.
                              In any event, if I've spent $500 dollars and don't have three games yet, its not a value. And $100 more for a trivial amount of storage? PC HDDs do not cost this much. In fact, $200 for the PS2 HDD - Face it, SE was practically bundling FFXI with it for free - was a rip-off at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X