Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Don't buy that 60GB PS3!

Originally posted by Feba View Post
    heh. Still, I refuse to buy a game that uses an ad to try to get you to buy it, has nothing that was actually in the ad, then says 'oh hi you need to buy me again to fight that thing lol.'

That's false advertising, if not morally corrupt.

Only 50? I assume you've never played Metroid Prime or Dynasty Warriors then...

It's good in concept, but I won't think a system like this is amazing until it's truly crossplatform. I believe PSU's various servers have people of all sorts of different consoles, and FFXI has obviously got at least two markets, but I don't really care. Unless I can talk to any random person who plays video games and say "Hey, wanna play *?" and they go "Sure.", I doubt I'll be impressed.

Sadly, Second Life or WoW look to be in the best position to make this happen, a true virtual world that almost everyone is a part of (Imagine email), but I doubt either of them will. Luckily, game consoles are becoming more and more like desktop computers (the PS3 willingly adapts itself into a linux box, and it doesn't take much doing to get the 360 running Windows, OSX, or Linux from what I've heard. ), so porting games will probably not be very difficult soon enough, but free use and distribution will be nearly impossible.

My dream would be a timeless (Everything from Lord of the Ring-fantasy type worlds to Space Stations that would make Lucas jealous), shardless, borderless (people from all around the planet) game world that would run on pretty much any of a giant range of hardware people could get off the shelf, which would be freely distributed, with advantages for those paying (like an item mall, or virtual land type stuff), something for everyone all on one little virtual universe, everything from the hack and slash MMO fanatic to the shoot'em'up deathmatch-nut coexisting in a single game, with their characters suitably reflecting their interests and personalities (someone who plays around the old west time period slicing zombies mercilessly might carry a blood stained gunblade on his back, but someone who plays a space trucker from the future might have a glove-computer he uses to look up things about his surroundings, or talk to friends.). You could easily send a message to a friend, asking if they want to play lightcycles, agree, use an ancient spell to teleport to their location, join them and warp into the future, get on a light cycle and start a match, beat them, and hop on a bullet train that takes you to a virtual shopping mall.

Of course, actually making a game like that would take a raving lunatic, but it would still be neat to see some day.
    If I got a PS3 I would use it for 3 things
    1. Web surfing.
    2. WoW (I don't play WoW because I can't afford it and it's a little boring ( Bleh, Free trails ))
    3. Mugen. (Mugen is an comp game made in 2002 that allows you to create a Unique fighting game from different down loadable characters/ Levels. And it's making a comeback)

And one more thing, There in a game like that coming out for the CP and 360 (No word on a PS3 version. But you may be able to DL it to the PS3 from the Internet ) and it's Freeland fantasy MMO shooter called HUXLEY, Webzen games is still developing it but the US hasn't had an update about the release date since the beginning of 07, but Japan has. And the Zombie game coming out. Left for Dead. Which will own a lot of the Zombie survival shooters out now. That's made my Source and Turtle Rock. (Ps3, 360, and PC versions out soon.) And Mike Booth maker of CS Source, Is the main developer on that game
    Last edited by Master Grimm; 07-22-2007, 03:22 PM. Reason: More details
    Watching FFXI live and it's making me sad That I'm broke 100% of the time...

Comment

If I got a PS3 I would use it for 3 things
      Uh, why not get a brand new computer for half the cost for that stuff? Since all you'd be doing is running Linux on the PS3 anyway...

There in a game like that coming out ... called HUXLEY,
      Absolutely nothing alike.

Comment

Yea, 2nd life sucks

Comment

Nobody actually plays Mugen, they just collect the characters. It's just something people download because they have no money.

Huxely looks like it's promising more than it's going to deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
            Nobody actually plays Mugen, they just collect the characters. It's just something people download because they have no money.

Huxely looks like it's promising more than it's going to deliver.
            I play Mugen, Reminds me of Street fighter and King of Fighters, (They needs to make new ones for the 360 and Ps3) And yea, Most people just collect and watch (No fun) Because they can't remember the combos for the characters, or just suck at it, Or don't wanna play period.

And Huxley should have everything they promised it, It's been in production for 8 years. and they haven't even showed a demo of the game play since 06 (Which is pissing me off) and then stopped, But I heard Japan is getting a load of updates for it..

Comment

And Huxley should have everything they promised it,
              It's still nothing like I was talking about.

It's been in production for 8 years.
              You're new to this "hype" thing, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Grimm View Post
                I play Mugen, Reminds me of Street fighter and King of Fighters, (They needs to make new ones for the 360 and Ps3) And yea, Most people just collect and watch (No fun) Because they can't remember the combos for the characters, or just suck at it, Or don't wanna play period.
                That's cause it's based off of King of Fighters/Street Fighter. >_>

It's also much worse because of the ridiculously unbalanced characters and pointless matches. But sometimes it is fun to just see Optimus Prime fight Killer Whale...something about it is just funny.

Half of the matches are like fighting the final boss of a KoF game on super Hard(impossible unless you're hyper-leet). >_>

Thanks to Roguewolf for the sig. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                  how about I fix that for you....

Wii = Unique game controls
                  PS3 = best graphic capability
                  360 = best online capability
                  PC = gameing computer
                  Mac = graphic and music design computer
                  Has to be the most neutral presentation of the console wars I have ever seen. Bravo!

I'm partial to the Wii myself. It's just so incredibly versatile: I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't even seen as much as one part of one-hundred of all it can do as of yet!
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                  Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                  However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                  Matthew 16:15

Comment

I don't think any of you really got the point of my post.

The point was that every debate about consoles/computers devolves into arguing over those negative aspects so there's really no sense in trying to say X console is better than Y console.
                    Happy happy gogo Mana is full of

http://www.dawnlinkshell.com

Comment

Originally posted by Manatra View Post
                      The "best system" debate wrapped up in 5 lines:
                      -The Wii's graphics suck
                      -The PS3 is too expensive
                      -The Xbox360 is defective
                      -PC > Mac
                      -Mac < PC
                      Well, since all of the important points of the "best system" debate were just discussed in the above 5 lines I'll call that a closed topic!
                      Each one of the systems does something well.

Wii - Great multiplayer games that are crazy fun.
                      PS3 - Amazing graphics.
                      X360 - Great online services, despite paying for it.
                      PC - Capable of the best graphics
                      Mac - Not gaming inclined

Mac is not Linux, nor does it use Linux. Linux can however emulate a decent number of games, but honestly anybody in this gripe about PS3 prices or sales number isn't going to be the person to go through all that work. (The best images I've ever seen of WoW came from a machine running Red Hat.) Open Source systems would fall under PC in this run down.

I'm still amazed that so many people are still "graphics whores." Everybody talks about how there are no good games to play on PS3, leading one to believe we all want good/fun games to play. Then people make the statement about how the Wii's graphics suck - but thought we all just wanted good games? So if we've decided that Wii games, though spaced out in release, are fun games, why do we make statements like "Wii's graphics suck." Everybody wants to be a critic I guess.
                      Odude
                      PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                      RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                      SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                        Has to be the most neutral presentation of the console wars I have ever seen. Bravo!
                        I would disagree- the Wii has a lot more going for it than unique controls, the 360 has more than it's network to it's benefit, and the PS3 does have the company that's ruled the gaming market for around a decade in control of it.

As far as computers go, pretty much any operating system has it's benefits and drawbacks, OSX isn't really better for graphics than Windows, which is no better for gaming than Linux, which isn't any better for office work than OSX. As far as an end user is concerned, it's what *types* of apps are out there for an OS, not what the OS itself is geared to. Most games that are made cross-platform run just as well on OSX as Windows as Linux. The problem is that the majority of games aren't made for OSX or Linux, not that Windows is any better. OSX might have better graphics design programs than Windows or Linux, but that's because the market exists on OSX, not vice versa.

That's the thing a lot of people don't seem to grasp about OS debates- they might differ in how they handle the system, but the programs will run just as fine on anything else. Look at firefox- except for a few minor GUI differences, it'll work just about the same on Windows as it will on OSX as it will on Windows. Many major FPS games are crossplatform, and they run better on other OS than Windows if anything a lot of the time.

It's not like that in console wars though- each console has very specific hardware, firmware, when you get a Wii, it's going to act like a Wii; a 360 a 360. When you get a computer, it's going to act like an HP2107b running Windows Vista Home Edition, or an iMac G4 running OSX 10.5, etc. My computer might do some specific task better than yours, whereas your computer might do a lot of things at once better than mine, but they're running the exact same OS. Minor configuration differences can have fairly large differences with computers.

Comment

Originally posted by tdh View Post
                          PC - Capable of the best graphics
                          Mac - Not gaming inclined
                          Linux can however emulate a decent number of games.
                          This is basically what I'm talking about. I know you said Linux falls under PC in this case- but still, OSX can have very pretty graphics same as any other system. It's a matter of what's in the case, not what's on your Boot CD- and if the game has good art direction. I've seen beautiful OSS games, and I've seen ugly games on store shelves for Windows. I think anyone that compares FFXI running on a PS2 from seven years ago and WoW running on the latest and greatest Vista box you can think of will agree that a great graphics engine doesn't mean great graphics.

Also, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using emulation for PC gaming- short of outdated systems such as handhelds or MAME, actual PC games are usually played using WINE, which as the name says, IS NOT an EMULATOR. Running something like Parallels for modern 3D gaming would almost certainly be painfully slow on anything but a very recent powerful computer.

Comment

While I appreciate the comparison and contrast of consoles and computers, you forgot one thing . . .

That does nothing to change the fact that Kailea's post was still the most neutral presentation of the console wars I have ever seen before.
                            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                            Matthew 16:15

Comment

"Wii = Unique game controls
                              PS3 = best graphic capability
                              360 = best online capability
                              PC = gaming computer
                              Mac = graphic and music design computer"

(by the way this was just a quick general statment, I know the systems have more goign for them then this)

I will say this is the way I see it, but I will be honest, I lean more towards Nintendo then anything, but thats mainly because they have been good to me since I was 5 (when I got my NES) ^.^
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                                While I appreciate the comparison and contrast of consoles and computers, you forgot one thing . . .
                                That does nothing to change the fact that Kailea's post was still the most neutral presentation of the console wars I have ever seen before.
                                Then you've never seen a truly neutral standpoint. That was VERY far from it.

You want a neutral standpoint, try Wikipedia, they're great at that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X