Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something I wish FFXI had had from the beginning.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I wish FFXI had had from the beginning.

From Silky Venom’s FAQ for Vanguard:SoH

22.13. Will there be item level Restrictions?
    Last updated: 2006-01-14 09:57:11 [ link ]

There won't be 'hard' level restrictions, no; it's likely that we will use 'soft caps' on statistical gains and usefulness. This means that if a lower level character equips a high level item he or she will be able to wield it but not receive nearly the benefits that a higher level character would. Our current thinking is that if the level delta is great enough, the benefit to the character would be that the item is slightly better than one of the better items at his level. This hopefully rewards the long time player who has 'twinked' his alt but at the same time doesn't imbalance the game at lower levels where that twinked character is soloing deep reds and the like.
    Source: Official FAQ

We use item scaling, which I used to call soft level limits.

You can use an item higher level than you, but it scales down to its better than what you'd normally have but not stupid powerful. So still good to twink your alts, but not broken. - late October 2005
    Source: Aradune Mithara

There are no hard level limits -- items and spells are scaled, so you can still twink your lower level character with higher level items, he just won't become god-like (we even have a cool 'veteran bonus system' where items aren't as severely scaled if you have other characters as high or higher level than the item on your alt). January 2006

22.24. Will items scale with the wearer?
    Last updated: 2006-01-14 11:14:27 [ link ]

Items do NOT scale in reverse. If you are a higher level than the item, the item's stats are exactly the same as if you are exactly the same level as the item. Item scaling only kicks in when the item is higher than the player, not vice versa. January 2006
    That would have worked so beautifully with all the level restricted areas in FFXI. Hell, if Square announced they’d be implementing something similar I’d renew my account with them immediately.

Re: Something I wish FFXI had had from the beginning.

I seriously don't like this twinking second char idea. So now everyone no longer needs to buy low level equipment anymore. You can run around in your level 75 set gear, forever, completely killing the low level gear markets. It's already bad for low level crafters as it is, we don't need to kill it further.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Re: Something I wish FFXI had had from the beginning.

Not if the crafting system is built to accomodate it. Vanguard's was so it'll probably work out fine there. Another example, in adition to the usual equipment and usable items, low/mid level crafting could include many components for higher level recipes and things that have unique functions that are never replaced by higher level items.

In any case, I didn't mean to drop the exact same system into FFXI, but adapt the principal. For example, an item would scale down upon recieving Level Restriction if your actual job level for your current main job allowed you to use it.

Personally... I hated needing 5 different sets for level capped stuff and hated that level caps drove up the price of low level gear.

Edits: Nothing much.
      Last edited by Coinspinner; 05-27-2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X