This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Masters Time Travel

Apparently, they created a time machine so that their PR people could make a patent for the controller they revealed last week back in 1999.

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=E...QPN=JP11099284

Chew that up and enjoy that.
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Re: Sony Masters Time Travel

Wait a sec, so is that like the Wii controller?
    <:3_)~

Comment

That's priceless LOL. What are the legal implications of this? The patent does use generalized terms to describe function but specifically lays out the construction of the unit. Now if Nintendo's Wii has a construction/operation method that is different enough, then they can sidestep infringement case. Of course it means that Sony may still try to pursue it against Nintendo, but the chance of winning may be questionable.

Last year there was a news story about how scientists were wiring two PS2's together and using them as a supercomputer, maybe Sony did make a time machine and filed the patent. j/k

Comment

So, Sony didn't really copy the Wiimote. They only copied the timing of release.
        Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
        I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

That's correct, Haggai, more or less. I was tired of people saying Sony stole the idea from Nintendo. In a sense, you could say that because of Nintendo's usage of an "Accelorometer" in their controllers, Sony decided to actually implement work they'd been doing since 7 years ago, being as how people have generally accepted Nintendo's quirkiness.

Also, this gives Sony a great excuse to not have to deal with that retard and his Force Feedback lawsuit. Phil Harrison said himself that it was just obvious that there were others in the industry doing similar research. In saying it like this, he indicated that A) Sony had been looking into this for some time (as evidence by the patent) and B) Nintendo obviously thought of this as well, since they didn't steal it from Sony.

No one stole from anyone, there was just similar research going on.

Well. . Except Microsoft, who designed their controller after the fact that a lot of "hardcore" gamers felt the PS2 controller was too small and that the DreamCast controller was fine, but flimsy.

And Microsoft is coming out with a camera attachment for their Xbox. Did you know that?

I love how Peter Moore points fingers and convieniently leaves information out. Someone needs to ask him the real questions, like, why is he such a douchebag.
          The Tao of Ren

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
          As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K
            Someone needs to ask him the real questions, like, why is he such a douchebag.

Journalist should ask this question as part of their usual repetiore of questions.

"So Bill O'riley why are you such a douchebag?"
            Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
            ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

"So Bill O'riley why are you such a douchebag?"
              Because Jon Stewart get's higher ratings than me and he's not a real journalist. Of course, my show isn't entertaining, so I, by law, am required to be a douchebag to my competition.
              The Tao of Ren

Comment

Something tells me if you dig more into it, when Nintendo and Sony were suppose to be working together on plans then split on it that controller was likely part of something Nintedo took with them. Time frame of that patent fits to when Sony could of been working on it with Nintendo but Sony had the legal patent for it. Don't know but that senario seems like the most likely to me.

Makes sense to me in that it would almost look like Nintendo tried to pull a Bill Gates jacking someone elses technology and trying to beat them to the release. Oh well, time will eventually reveal the truth.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

That's kinda out there, Macht, even for you >.>

Nintendo and Sony split back in like, 94. They've been rivals since before FF7 and MGS buried the N64.

The fact that the Nunchuck attachment for the Wii is different in size and shape than that of the PS3, coupled with the fact that they perform different duties (the Wii detects it in relation to screen placement, whilst the PS3 detects it without a wireless sensor) is evidence enough to me that they are similar, but different technologies.
                  The Tao of Ren

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K
                    I love how Peter Moore points fingers and convieniently leaves information out. Someone needs to ask him the real questions, like, why is he such a douchebag.
                    Sony is the douchebag here.

Who cares if they had the technology since 1999. If it was such a great technology why didn't they implement it in the first place? Yeah. They got scared by Nintendo's "new way of gaming" and brought this out and shoved it into a downgrade dual shock (what no rumble? why is it even called dual shock anymore?)

Sony isn't about the consumer anymore... they are about making huge technologic advances and charging a high price for them. If Sony new the videogame business, like they did over the past 10 years, they would realize that people don't want to pay out of the ass for a game machine. They choudl have cut blu-ray from the PS3 all together and worked on an affordable Cell processor or something. Do those kind of things to PCs... Videogames shoudl never cross the 400 mark. EVER.

Sony is just a neccisary evil in the industry right now. All the hot 3rd part games are on their console so people buy their machine because of them, not becuase it's a Sony machine. Sony has a few good franchises and games, but they don't out weigh Nintendo's in commercial success. Once Sony loses it's grip on 3rd party support it will go towards Nintendo and Microsoft... A two console future again. At least I hope.
                    MPH Code: 2105-2096-0964
                    TETRIS DS Code: 540649-893584

Comment

Honestly, why is this a problem to so many people? Even if Sony completely "ripped-off" Nintendo's idea, it's been done before with every natural advancement in controller technology. It's like Nintendo's always come up with the newest and best ways to transition controllers into the next generation, so why does it matter that others follow suit?

Nintendo's controller is not revolutionary in any way, but it's still, apparently, a helluva lot of fun. Shouldn't it be a plus that the competition is once again learning from Nintendo to extend that vision over to their platform?

I could go on for hours about how Sony isn't any sort of "evil," but platform flamewars are the most aggravating thing ever, so I'll leave it at the fact that fans should be rejoicing that Nintendo has been able to obviously influence their competition.
                      PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                      Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                      WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                      Currently Playing:
                      FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Yeah, how dare you accuse of Sony being unoriginal? I mean it's like the first time they ever ripped off anything from anyone. Oh wai-.

I'm sorry but if this patent is so important, why is Hideo complaining about how they suddenly added it 3 weeks before E3. I mean, shouldn't the PS3 had it to begin with if they were so developed in this area? I'm sorry, but it is a fact... PS3's controller is a rip of the Wii's motion sensor and Xbox's center button. There is no buts about it. Sony has not a single inovative bone in its body. Its success was based off of three companies: Square(enix), Rockstar(North), and Konami. If FF7-10, GTA, and both MGS hadn't came out for the PSes, then Sony would be at Nintendo's spot right now, and we'd have Katamari on Gamecube.

PS3 fanboys can't play that card, so just start saying "Yeah well, at least we will probably sell more".

Comment

Console wars are stupid. There's no reason to align yourself with one giant corporation or another. There's no prize if your team sells the most units. There's no win, there's just stupid fighting. If you think one console is better than the other or one has better games than the other then by all means, buy that freakin console and let the other guy spend his money on whatever console he wants in peace.
                          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

This sounds so much like politics o.o

/gently moves back, then starts running very very fast
                            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage
                              Console wars are stupid. There's no reason to align yourself with one giant corporation or another. There's no prize if your team sells the most units. There's no win, there's just stupid fighting. If you think one console is better than the other or one has better games than the other then by all means, buy that freakin console and let the other guy spend his money on whatever console he wants in peace.
                              Uhhhh if your console sells the most units, it will also likely have the best and most 3rd party games. So in a sense there is a win.
                              MPH Code: 2105-2096-0964
                              TETRIS DS Code: 540649-893584

Comment

Working...
                              X