Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And now it's Xbox's turn. Class Action Lawsuit Powers Activate!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now it's Xbox's turn. Class Action Lawsuit Powers Activate!

Did a search to make sure this hasn't been posted yet this time >_>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051205/tc_nm/media_xbox_dc

Just thought all you xbox enthusists(sp? lol >_>) would like to know about this.
    My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
    Originally posted by Balfree
    Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Re: And now it's Xbox's turn. Class Action Lawsuit Powers Activate!

Yea, I know about it, it's just some guy who wants to make a quick buck -_-;;
    -Baka Inu!
    Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
    Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
    Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
    Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Comment

I hope this guy doesn't get a damn thing. I'm sick of seeing pointless lawsuits like this being made all the time. What unspecified damages could he possibly be talking about? This guy needs to stop tying up the courts so we can get back to more important things.
      You kill one man, your a murderer
      Kill many and your a conquerer
      Kill them all... your a God.

Comment

The interesting thing to wait and see is if they can prove their case. At least 1/2 the people having issues are having them because of their own incompetence. RTFM about where to place your game system and stop putting them in an enclosed space!

I have not had any problems with mine so tonight I'm going to take it and put it in a different spot. I have an entertainment center with glass doors so I'm going to put my 360 in it and play. I'll keep playing a respectable 8 hours at least, probably more. Then I'll let you know if I ran into any issues.
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Please do Grandmom. Also, please go get one of the following from radio shack, it's like 5$. IT's somethign that will tell you the inside, and oustide temps. It has a cord that runs from the thing that will tell you outside temps.

it also has a termomitor (I can't spell, sorry), on it so it will tell you the temp of the room as well.

So run the thing to where the xbox will be enclosed. Also run this test in the open air'd thing also.

I hope this makes sense, if not I can post pictures of what I'm talking about.
          -Baka Inu!
          Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]

Comment

Well, design wise it only makes sense that the XBox 360 would generate a tremendous amount of energy in a concentrated location. Spec wise 3 processor cores that they are using run at 60 watts each for a total of 180 watts in a space smaller then you'd see 3 60 watt bulbs placed. Need to look at the Xbox 360 again but from what I can recall it definatly doesn't enough ventillation holes to keep it running cool.

I mean my PC at home runs normal at 50 C (122 F) and goes higher when not idle, and that is just 1 processor. It's in a Tower Shell with 4 freaken fans just keep it cool. XBox 360 is trying to cram this same thing into something much smaller with less cooling, that just makes no sense. Design wise it seems extreemly fessible that overheating is an issue in that system. I'm curious more of what the temperature is regularly at in that room were you keep the XBox 360 Grandmom, I bet it's playing a key part in keeping it cool.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Macht, I myself, have my xbox 360 in a well open spaced room, in the basement, which is kept at a nice 68-69F. And I have yet to have a single problem with my xbox360.
              -Baka Inu!

Comment

Originally posted by InuTrunks
                Macht, I myself, have my xbox 360 in a well open spaced room, in the basement, which is kept at a nice 68-69F. And I have yet to have a single problem with my xbox360.
                In your case temperature is likely helping. For most technology a minimum of 75F is needed for best performance, at 68-69F should be cool enough to keep a hot running device working decently at least (Enough that it at least might not error due to overheating). Here in Arizona keeping the temerature at 68-69F is EXTREEMLY costly just to keep my house at 80F cost me $200+ a month, if I were to try for 68-69F it would probably cost me $500 a month.

In your case I would say the lower temperature is what keeping you from seeing this, but to have to go that low for many other places is just unacceptable.

Dang the old Video card I use to have if I kept it would of been great evidence on how effective just 75F is for a system with bad cooling (Old Video Card had a fan that apparently never worked). That Video Card I had for years working just fine until I came to Arizona, that's when I couldn't keep the system in room at 75F. Still even in a room at 80F the system should of been ok. The video card fried because it's fan didn't work, that's how effective just 5 F can be for cooling.

I know the fan could of never been working because after seeing the Video Card with the Transistors that looked like Popcorn (Should of looked cylindrical), I popped out the fan and checked it (Ballbearing Fan) the way the fan was designed was obvious that it kept it from ever working. I never knew of the problem because it was getting the cooling it needed from how I kept the temperature of the room.

EDIT:

Anyway the guys claims of the power supply and processor overheating is quite logical. The thing Microsoft would have to prove is that the system isn't running that hot and that it is being properly cooled by it's own design. Cooling system is in a device like that for the intended purpose of making it usable in typical temperatures it's environment would be with reasonable conditions of maintenance and care for it.
                Last edited by Macht; 12-06-2005, 11:46 AM.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Would I void the warranty by punching air holes in it? Maybe I'll buy an iguana just so I can call the Xbox360 a next generation heat rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
                    Anyway the guys claims of the power supply and processor overheating is quite logical. The thing Microsoft would have to prove is that the system isn't running that hot and that it is being properly cooled by it's own design. Cooling system is in a device like that for the intended purpose of making it usable in typical temperatures it's environment would be with reasonable conditions of maintenance and care for it.
                    Yes, I see your point, but what exactly is "normal operating temperatures"? Just where do you get this basies for a good answer to this question? The truth of the matter is you can't. Sadly, I think that most of the problems that people are having problems are due to niglect, and due to mis use.

I've never had a console, or electronic not work for me. Hell, I've even stepped full force on my ps2 by mistake, and let me tell you this, I'm no light guy weighing in at 170lbs. Not like an acidental step either, I mean, how much ever pressure would be caused by someone stepping up onto something. (I used to keep it on the floor so my controller would reach, no, not on carpet, on wood). Boy was that an intresting day.

Also, I try to keep my house dust free so dust won't clog my systems, or computer.

Even with my computer running, TV, Monitor, Speakers, and Xbox360, it really never did get above 70F in my room.
                    -Baka Inu!

Comment

when a system is first released its bound to have a few quirks is it not. also my ps2 sorta broke after being left on for over a week. on a carpet o.O along with the fact the fan cover got clugged from dust easily. although i didn't notice the break until kingdom hearts came out

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
                        Here in Arizona keeping the temerature at 68-69F is EXTREEMLY costly just to keep my house at 80F cost me $200+ a month, if I were to try for 68-69F it would probably cost me $500 a month.
                        But its a dry heat! Used to know some people from Mesa and that was there excuse for 120 degrees not being that hot.
                        As for the dust problem, I live in west Texas, we grow dirt here. When it becomes necessary to dust the inside of a refrigerator, there is no hope for keeping electronics dust free at all times.
                        As for the lawsuit, thats BS. If it legitimately screwed, then your warranty is covered. There is no 'pain and suffering' b/c your console didnt work. These BS lawsuits are getting out of hand, and judges are just now starting to not put up with it and cutting back on monetary awards for these "victims".
                        I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Half is lawyers wanting a quick buck
                          Half is Microsoft badly design
                          Quarter is consumers doing stupid things
                          Quarter is microsoft PR giving promises they had no way of keeping.

Yes that's 150%..it's synergy

But really...PR needs some rethinking. Talking big isa double edge sword.

Comment

Originally posted by InuTrunks
                            Please do Grandmom. Also, please go get one of the following from radio shack, it's like 5$. IT's somethign that will tell you the inside, and oustide temps. It has a cord that runs from the thing that will tell you outside temps.

it also has a termomitor (I can't spell, sorry), on it so it will tell you the temp of the room as well.

So run the thing to where the xbox will be enclosed. Also run this test in the open air'd thing also.

I hope this makes sense, if not I can post pictures of what I'm talking about.
                            Sorry Inu ; ; I didn't see you post last night. *yawns* I have to recover from last night before I do that again too! It was a 12 hour test with guests. I figured I would bring over some friends to help. LOL And help they did! I put my friends 360 in the enclosed entertainment center. (Ya didn't use mine LOL I was worried....ok I'm anal! ;P )

Now this entertainment center is upstairs. We all know heat rises so our upstairs is warmer than downstairs. My downstairs is heated at 72 degrees. Also my 360 is in an area that is slightly warmer. There are 2 pipes by my 360 that shuttle the hot water upstairs to the radiators in my game room. (Old Victorian home with radiant heat) So I think the 2 systems were fairly close in warmth. The space it was put in would hold your average stereo component. There was only a hole for the cords to go through. The front was glass so it was entiirely enclosed.

For the first 6 hours there were no issues. (Well I shouldn't say no issues, hubby wanted to go to bed and we were in the bedroom! LOL In the interest of "scientific" research he slept in the spare room. LOL) But sortly into the 6th hour, we had the black screen of DEATH! Scared the pants off the owner. So we opened it up and felt the warmth inside. There was a significant definate difference between the room temp and the 360's temp.

So just for shits and giggles, we put the power brick in there too. The 360 stood up next to the tv. We played for approx. 2 more hours and CRASH! When we checked the warmth in the enclosed area....HOLY HELL! Could have taken a sauna in there! LOL So now we played the remaining time with the brick out and the 360 out with no issues. So that was it and I'm dog assed tired. LOL

As far as temp where you live, a good friend of mine lives in India and they've had temps in the 90s. He does not have a/c either. (I keep teasing him I'm going to buy him some a/c for Christmas. LOL) He's not had any issues with his 360. In my gaming group there are a good % of members that have summer weather right now too. They don't have any problems with their 360's either. Maybe its because we all have more gaming experience and have been through a gambit of systems but we know not to move the system while in use, not to put it in an enclosed area, and not to put it near any heating vents or heat sources. Either way it will be interesting to see what develops.
                            Originally posted by Feba
                            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                            Originally posted by DakAttack
                            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Actually InuTrunks the 75F is a tested result. At 75F and lower is when energy being passed through the system holds the most stable, the idea of computer and transfer of data is based around the idea of a Super Conductor. The colder the device the faster an electron can pass through it, it's found that at 75F and lower electrons are able to pass through in a steady flow far better then at 76F and above.

The other side to the 75F is a long term effect, in a device each time electrons crash into eachother is causes damage to the system. At 75F is were the amount of damage done due to electrons crashing is near equal to the life span of most of the material used to make the system so both are essentialy failing at the same time. This means at 75F and lower that you keep the system it should last you around 14 years, then either the damage due to electrons crashing or just the natrual process of materials breaking down overtime will make the device unusuable or unstable at the least.

As far as enclosed I expected to see that result GrandMom, that was even dictated by the systems design. As far as the Xbox still working when out in the open there has to be something else to it that is in the environment it is in then. A system even in a room at 100F can still operate given that air is circulating well enough for it, it won't operate very fast (Very likely of higher count of electrons crashing) but it will operate as long as enough air is circulating.

More detail of the environment would be needed for me to be satified honestly. I could explain all the technics of why not to move a game console (or PC for that matter) while it is on, that one is easy actually. It all deals with Gyroscope Inertia.

EDIT:

LOL, even better I found a video clip that shows a Gyroscope that pretty much shows exactly why you shouldn't move a device such as a game console or PC while it is on.

Anyway here is a good example of what can happen inside to the CD if you move a game console while it on and creating a gyroscope like effect: Gyrscope Example 15

Taken from wikipage: Gyroscope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                              Last edited by Macht; 12-07-2005, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X