Re: Illusion of Face Book

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
      HAHA SOCIAL MEDIA IS SO FAKE AMIRITE?

It's just a tool, people.
      Actually... no, watch it if you want.

Comment

I did watch it. It was stupid.

I use FB to keep in touch with people who don't live in my city and whose lives I like hearing about. I talk in full sentences, all of my friends do as well, and I have less than 30 friends on there. It doesn't rule my life.

Hell, FB has allowed me to make new friends that I also hang out with in real life, so I can get to see who they are beyond a profile picture and a status update. Shocker.

Pretentious teen who needs to shower is pretentious.

Comment

Saw it before. Didn't find it as touching or persuasive as other people seem to. My friends and I don't have most of the habits he seems to look down on, and those that we do I'm not bothered by. I don't really need anyone to tell me there's more to me than my profile information, either. Guess the video is just meant for someone else.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I actually agree with a lot of what's in that video. I picked up a FB account almost at gunpoint, but I keep no information on it beyond my name, share none of it with strangers, and only accept friend requests from people I've met in person.

I think the guy has his heart in the right place, and if he's happier without a Facebook account, then no one has the right to say otherwise.

Icemage

Comment

I don't think anyone is saying he should get one if he doesn't want one. But he's the one telling everyone else that they don't need one.

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                I picked up a FB account almost at gunpoint
                That is the same with me basically. My family basically forced me to get one, after my brother made me delete my old one.

Comment

Protip: Stop doing shit you don't want to do that other people tell you to do. You'll live a happier life.

Comment

Someone should make that video.
                    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I've still no plans of making a Facebook account of my own.

I occasionally get weird looks from people who somehow can't fathom that concept, but otherwise I manage perfectly fine.
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Yeah. I don't like videos where the people are too afraid to even use their own voice.

PS: Most of us already used internet acronyms way before facebook came around. Not to mention, I'm aware I don't have 192 "friends" on facebook. However, they are all people I've met in my life that I would enjoy learning about in the future and/or keeping in touch with without having to send out a gajillion text messages each day.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                          I've still no plans of making a Facebook account of my own.

I occasionally get weird looks from people who somehow can't fathom that concept, but otherwise I manage perfectly fine.
                          Ditto. I survived college and currently surviving grad school without it. People know I don't have an account and inform me of things accordingly.
                          sigpic
                          Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

I found it useful in college back when it was only for college students and not the whole goddamn world.

The video has some grains of truth to it, but it's buried beneath all the smug pretentiousness. Half of what he's describing seems to just be the internet at large rather than Facebook.
                            Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                            Name: Drjones
                            Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

I think being an English teacher in South Korea is a better job than being a graphics designer at Rockstar.

I myself don't like or participate in Facebook as it is overriding every other communication medium between friends/family, whatever happened to picking up the damn phone?

But, I know that like some activities (example: Gambling) there are fewer people that get addicted to it than there are who use it as a mere occasional recreation or in Facebook's case, a tool.
                              Quotes

Comment

Working...
                              X