Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your password is 7 characters long...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your password is 7 characters long...

...you might want to change it.

GPUs democratize brute force password hacking -- Engadget

"It seems that the availability of increasingly powerful GPUs, when combined with brute-force password cracking tools, is making it increasingly easy to crack passwords -- even if they're extremely well thought out, with symbols and quirky capitalization and all that. How short is too short? According to computer scientists at the Georgia Tech Research Institute, "a seven-character password is hopelessly inadequate, and as GPU power continues to go up every year, the threat will increase." A better alternative, he suggested, would be a 12-character combination of upper and lower case letters, symbols and digits. Of course, processors are only getting more powerful and hardware less expensive -- soon even seven-plus character passwords may become the digital equivalent of unlocked doors. And if that weren't bad enough, a recent study by an Internet security company called BitDefender has determined that some 250,000 user names, email addresses, and passwords used for social networking sites are freely available online -- and seventy-five percent of these folks use the same password for their email and social networking. So, when dreaming up fancy new twelve character passwords, make sure you're creating unique passwords for all your various accounts. It would be a shame if your Starsky & Hutch FanFicForum account left you vulnerable to identity theft."

======================

I just found this rather interesting.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Re: If your password is 7 characters long...

Damn... It seems that with every passing day, internet security is getting harder and harder to sustain... Pretty soon people will be able to hack into car- Oh wait... They already can...

Comment

What is really interesting is....

Who visits Starsky and Hutch Fan forums?

sig courtesy tgm
      retired -08

Comment

The side benefit of a randomized password of course being that it's far more resistant to social hacking. A birth year and a randomized four digit number are just as secure against a brute force attack; the randomized four digit number is still the better PIN given that birth years are so easy to find (not to mention that probably %99 of all birth year pens fall between 1960, Boomers using their own birthdays, and 2010, baby birth years)

Comment

Not all passwords are created equal.

In particular, the way that Windows passwords are encoded, they are done in 7-character blocks. An 8-character Windows password is significantly harder to brute-force than a 7-character password.

As for Unix-style passwords, I think these days they are usually done with an MD5 hash, instead of the old salted DES encryption. Your password is probably still going to be safe if the more complicated MD5 algorithm is used.

And this only assumes that they have access to the encrypted password. There's no way they're going to be brute-forcing your password by making billions of login attempts to Facebook, GPU or not. Malware running on your PC will probably have your password.

And if you really wanted someone's password, just run a webboard and record all the passwords. Too many people use the same password for everything. At least have a password for your computer, banking, email, etc. that's different from what you use on webboards.
          Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
          99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
          F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
          >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Working...
          X