X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abortion Donuts!

Feministe » Oh no, it’s . . . ABORTION DONUTS

Oh no, it’s . . . ABORTION DONUTS

Posted by: Cara in Abortion, Crazy Conservatives, Culture Of Life, So Many Questions, Stupidity File this under “the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard in my life” — even worse than OMG LESBIAN SOUP.
    Krispy Kreme Doughnuts released this really apolitical and seemingly innocuous press release, saying that they’re giving away free doughnuts on Inauguration Day:
    “Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. (NYSE: KKD) is honoring American’s sense of pride and freedom of choice on Inauguration Day, by offering a free doughnut of choice to every customer on this historic day, Jan. 20. By doing so, participating Krispy Kreme stores nationwide are making an oath to tasty goodies — just another reminder of how oh-so-sweet ‘free’ can be.”
    Yes, I know exactly what you’re thinking: how dare those sugar-peddlers promote the murder of unborn babies????
    Right? What else could you possibly think? Well, rest assured that the American Life League is with you and put out this statement:
    “Just an unfortunate choice of words? For the sake of our Wednesday morning doughnut runs, we hope so. The unfortunate reality of a post Roe v. Wade America is that ‘choice’ is synonymous with abortion access, and celebration of ‘freedom of choice’ is a tacit endorsement of abortion rights on demand.
    “President-elect Barack Obama promises to be the most virulently pro-abortion president in history. Millions more children will be endangered by his radical abortion agenda.
    “Celebrating his inauguration with ‘Freedom of Choice’ doughnuts - only two days before the anniversary of the Supreme Court decision to decriminalize abortion - is not only extremely tacky, it’s disrespectful and insensitive and makes a mockery of a national tragedy.
    “A misconstrued concept of ‘choice’ has killed over 50 million preborn children since Jan. 22, 1973. Does Krispy Kreme really want their free doughnuts to celebrate this ‘freedom.’
    And for some strange reason, Krispy Kreme hasn’t responded to the organization’s requests for comment. Imagine that. I guess that at least they still have their new National Sanctity of Human Life Day.
    I don’t know about you, but me? I’m going to be running out on January 20th to get me an abortion doughnut. Mmm . . . tastes like women who don’t know their place!
    h/t Veronica’s Twitter

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with some people...
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: Abortion Donuts!

Its actually not that strange, given that the abortion issue is one massive political word game these days. And the press doesn't exactly help matters as it spins both sides as "pro-life" and "pro-choice." Granted, they're clusterfucked into doing that lest people call them biased, but it doesn't make it any less confusing.

If you delve deep into either side's own rhetoric, you'll see they like to divide the issue in their own favor. The other side becomes "Anti-life, "Anti-Choice" or "Anti-abortion" while both sides retain their media-spun positives in their own rhetoric.

With both sides trying so hard to polarize one from the other, the media-spun terms also become a negative to the opposing side. They have to take it as that - if they can't use it to vilify the other viewpoint then its a word with no power.

So I can see how if you're really into debating abortion, you might take offense at the use or timing word "choice." It does seem extreme, but you've seen how powerful one little word can be elsewhere, so is it really that surprising here?

Perhaps, but I think the other side is just acting surprised in the case of this article, it doesn't exactly come from an unbiased source. Just look at their key words for the article/entry.

And if someone enjoys painting the other side as whackos then they are in the game of dehumanizing the other side anyway.

Could you debate the abortion issue without using the bulk of the terminology, without dehumanizing or vilifying the other side? It can be done, but for most people its not easy.

Comment

I hate people like this I swear, they take somthing as simple and clean as free donuts on the 20th... and turn it into this BS........
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

I really didn't understand the issue with the wording at first. This is a real stretch, some people are just way too sensitive.
        FFXIV Balmung Server
        Tenro Matashi
        PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

In their defense, what is 'freedom of choice' supposed to be mean? What other kind of freedom is there?

As for the free donut, if the government's going to get more involved in healthcare, I'm gonna do what I can to keep myself healthy. BA-BOOM!

Comment

IMO, I took the ad to mean we had the freedom of choice in the election and we chose Obama. Not for a second did I read that as having anything to do with abortion. Unfortunately the KK store near us closed down but I'm up for a little drive on the 20th!
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

So when I light a match, I'm promoting nuclear warfare apparently.

People need to get the fuck over themselves.
              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

I dunno why people are bitching over the words, it's a FREE Krispy Kreme donut. Those things are sprinkled with cocaine I swear.
                Cleverness - Hades
                75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
                DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

Hopefully these stupid bitches won't make it so KK regrets doing this.
                  Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                  Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                  Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                  Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                  Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

While I agree that the reaction to the article is rather extreme and bass ackwards, I, for the life of me, cannot understand the obsession over KK donuts. I've had them before, fresh even (as people swear they're the best when fresh), and I really don't like them. They really taste bad. I've had "mom & pop" store donuts that were better than them by miles.

Prolly gonna get flamed for it, but I really can't get into KK donuts. They're just not that good.

Comment

I grew up on Krispy Kreme, they kinda grew out of my area and boomed big a few years back nationally.

And yeah, they're best when hot and fresh, but they're also 50% air in that state.

Comment

Originally posted by LilithAngel View Post
                        Prolly gonna get flamed for it, but I really can't get into KK donuts. They're just not that good.
                        DIE!!!!!!!
                        FFXIV Balmung Server
                        Tenro Matashi
                        PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                          Its actually not that strange, given that the abortion issue is one massive political word game these days.
                          Yep. When you divide to either "You think that your comfort justifies murder" or "You're a misogynistic bastard who thinks that fetuses are more important than women", things get unnecessarily heated. Which is why I try to use pro/anti-abortion as much as possible; and even then it could use better terms. Most people aren't nearly as black and white as that. There are all sorts of mitigating factors; rape and incest, how late in the pregnancy it is, whether it poses a risk to the mother, etc. that can change peoples opinions.

Comment

Lilith............you made me cry..........

KRISPY KREMES ARE AWESOME!!

I can't eat them anymore though.
                            Originally posted by Feba
                            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                            Originally posted by DakAttack
                            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by LilithAngel View Post
                              While I agree that the reaction to the article is rather extreme and bass ackwards, I, for the life of me, cannot understand the obsession over KK donuts. I've had them before, fresh even (as people swear they're the best when fresh), and I really don't like them. They really taste bad. I've had "mom & pop" store donuts that were better than them by miles.
                              Tim Hortons > Krispy Kreme.

sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X