Day Lite Savings Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day Lite Savings Time

So who set there clocks back? I did lol...speaking of which why is the time on this website still a hour ahead? it says its 6pm, when it is 5pm here, and it is set to the right time zone. I was just wandering lol.
    Proud-Member-Of-Stonewall

Re: Day Lite Savings Time

I actually didn't change any of my clocks: they do it for me.

DST is stupid as hell anyway. There are no real advantages to it anymore other than kids getting to play outside in sunlight for an extra hour. Fuck that. Get a job.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
    ------
    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
      DST is stupid as hell anyway. There are no real advantages to it anymore other than kids getting to play outside in sunlight for an extra hour. Fuck that. Get a job.
      Maybe where you live. I live a few miles from the equator so we don't have it here but makes a difference in higher altitudes. It's not only a social thing, it has effects on economy and the environment. I mean no offense but are you angry or something?
      Hobbes - Galka Red Mage 9|Warrior 7|Black Mage 5|Thief 5|White Mage 5|Monk 4 (Phoenix)

If you're on Phoenix and still haven't done the Gustaberg Tour, for Pete's Sake, send me a PM/Tell/e-mail

----Reading----
      Mage: the Awakening
      ----Playing----

[video game] Final Fantasy XI (WIN)
      [rpg] World of Darkness: Second Sight
      ----Listening----
      Coldplay - X&Y | Foo Figthers - The Colour and the Shape

Comment

I manually reset my alarm clock and microwave and cellphone, but other than that everything updates automatically.

Weird thing with the cellphone...running windows mobile 6; it told me last night that it was time for daylight savings time and that my clock was set back an hour, I click OK and that's that. Then I wake up this morning and my phone has a dialog box open that says "time has been adjusted for daylight savings time" and the time is back where it was before, an hour ahead of actual time. Kinda annoying, since I had to search all over the place trying to find where to adjust the time manually. I mean, who actually adjusts their cell phone's time manually?

Oh well, it's what I deserve for getting this crazy complicated PDA phone, I guess... ^^
        I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
        -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
        http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
          There are lots of reasons we do it, but if you're looking for people playing out in the sunlight one hour longer, you're looking at the right time of year to complain.

What you should really complain about is now the sun rises at a time that's far more ideal to blind you on the way to work early in the morning.

At least, that's my complaint, but its really the only one. I like it getting dark earlier.

Stupid people and thier sun and warmth. Give me my darkness, cold and moonlight.

Snow, too.

Also, global warming my ass, it was unnaturally cold here last week and I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
            Also, global warming my ass, it was unnaturally cold here last week and I loved it.
            Anecdotal. Clearly the best form of evidence.

As to DST, I think it's absolutely retarded and outdated. But then I think that the entire planet should shift to UTC (especially when you look at the ease of international communication, this would be a big help), and that society should adjust to a more 24-hour schedule (as in, more than just gas stations and Wal-Marts). I also would not be opposed to a new calender which gets rid of this "some months have 30 days and some have 31 and one has 28 but every four years there's another day" shit. That's just fucking broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
              Anecdotal. Clearly the best form of evidence.
              When you have weather data accounting for a few millenia, I'll pay credence to the theory, til then, hardly a century of data is just as anecdotal as last week.

Even if the theory is correct, you'll be long dead before you can say "I told you so."

Comment

Its supposed to have something to do saving energy because people won't use lights as much when the sun is still up. Haven't seen the numbers to say for sure that it works, but thats the reasoning.
                I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

You just cant get rid of our calender its hundreds of years old. Also, the leap year and DLS I think has to do something with the Sun or the Moon, I am not quite sure though.
                  Proud-Member-Of-Stonewall

Comment

Originally posted by Mystiqsoulchild View Post
                    Also, the leap year and DLS I think has to do something with the Sun or the Moon, I am not quite sure though.
                    If i remember correctly from way back in science class, the leap year exists because the length of a year is not exactly 365 days, it's actually 365 1/4 days, so the leap year was created because after decades the calender would be jacked up enough that things weren't falling where they should (I think harvests and such, but also for some reason think it may have even had something to do with the Catholic Church?). I seem to remember something about them losing an entire week out of the calander once hundreds of years ago because of that, maybe when Europe transitioned from the Julian to the Gregorian Calender?

Also, again if I remember correctly, DLS was created in the WWI era to conserve energy. Don't remember how exactly...guess I'd better Wiki this cause now I'm curious ^^
                    I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
                    -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
                    http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

Everything updated automatically....cept my car clock... too lazy to change it...

The most precious possession that ever comes To a man in this world
                      Is a woman's heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystiqsoulchild View Post
                        You just cant get rid of our calender its hundreds of years old. Also, the leap year and DLS I think has to do something with the Sun or the Moon, I am not quite sure though.
                        Something being hundreds of years old doesn't make it good. This is really no better an excuse than not switching to metric because you don't know how to use it is.

DST you can see Daylight saving time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . It's purely a social invention, it has no benefit to time or the calendar.

Comment

Not a bad plan Feba, but that would be about as easy as eliminating organized religion, unifying currency or making Esperanto the official second language of the whole world. Plus, it's actually way more complicated than a DST system, even though it would be permanent and. Not a practical solution.

EDIT: I vote for instituting the Forgotten Realms calendar! Ours is really kinda crappy.
                          Hobbes - Galka Red Mage 9|Warrior 7|Black Mage 5|Thief 5|White Mage 5|Monk 4 (Phoenix)

If you're on Phoenix and still haven't done the Gustaberg Tour, for Pete's Sake, send me a PM/Tell/e-mail

----Reading----
                          ----Playing----

----Listening----

Comment

Not really. It's more comparable to the switch to metric units. It would probably only take people a few months to get used to. Sorta like getting used to 24 hour time-- it's kinda weird at first, but after you have your clock set that way for awhile it's far easier to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                              Not really. It's more comparable to the switch to metric units. It would probably only take people a few months to get used to. Sorta like getting used to 24 hour time-- it's kinda weird at first, but after you have your clock set that way for awhile it's far easier to read.
                              But there will be resistance to those attempts because of national culture, sovereignty, and history. That and the fact that there are always countries that hate each other and are just plain stubborn. We are still far from setting the International System of Units as the standard outside the scientific community.

We I become the insane ruler of all Earth I'll try to do that.
                              Last edited by Haroldo; 11-03-2008, 05:05 AM. Reason: bad grammar

----Reading----
                              ----Playing----

----Listening----

Comment

Working...
                              X