Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The possibility of running your car on water. Well, saltwater.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The possibility of running your car on water. Well, saltwater.

For those interested in why this is bad science, a more detailed explanation by BuckG, a graduate Chemistry student:

Chemistry explanation of why this doesn't work

Also, the byproduct is Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2), a bleaching agent. As H2O2 is biohazardous, this process is a poor choice for producing H2 (Hydrogen gas).

Not to say that the discovery isn't exciting; apparently no one had realized RF and salt water can interact in this manner, exactly.

However, salt water is not a viable energy source, and this discovery did nothing to alter that. Also, the process is unsuitable for large scale Hydrogen gas production. In short, while this is interesting, it has little practical application at this point in time.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
      For those interested in why this is bad science, a more detailed explanation by BuckG, a graduate Chemistry student:

Chemistry explanation of why this doesn't work
      Sorry but I liked Geordi's explanation a lot more.

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
      Also, the byproduct is Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2), a bleaching agent. As H2O2 is biohazardous, this process is a poor choice for producing H2 (Hydrogen gas).

Not to say that the discovery isn't exciting; apparently no one had realized RF and salt water can interact in this manner, exactly.

However, salt water is not a viable energy source, and this discovery did nothing to alter that. Also, the process is unsuitable for large scale Hydrogen gas production. In short, while this is interesting, it has little practical application at this point in time.
      Finally, it took all this time for you to make a proper post about this. Too little too late though since this thread already died, but progress none the less.

Besides, it's not like anyone actually believed this was a new energy source to begin with, we were just excited about how good it would be if it actually worked.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
        Finally, it took all this time for you to make a proper post about this. Too little too late though since this thread already died, but progress none the less.
        it took this long because that's basic high school chemistry and honestly, most of us assumed that anyone actually commenting on this sort of topic would have a basic grasp of basic high school chemistry.

Besides, it's not like anyone actually believed this was a new energy source to begin with, we were just excited about how good it would be if it actually worked.
        uh, what? "if it actually worked" presupposes belief that this is a potential new energy source.

anything else is baseless scienceless speculation similar to: "wouldn't it be neat if we could breath vacuum?! "
        Grant me wings so I may fly;
        My restless soul is longing.
        No Pain remains no Feeling~
        Eternity Awaits.

Comment

Originally posted by Amele View Post
          "wouldn't it be neat if we could breath vacuum?! "
          It's too noisy in a vacuum.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

it took this long because that's basic high school chemistry and honestly, most of us assumed that anyone actually commenting on this sort of topic would have a basic grasp of basic high school chemistry.
            That displays a disturbing lack of understanding of how internet forums work.

Also, breathe.

Comment

uh, what? "if it actually worked" presupposes belief that this is a potential new energy source.
              Nope, it presupposes belief that there's the posibility of it happening, which can easily be proved or refuted with the proper testing.

There have been too many discoveries which went completely against common knowledge and were considered baseless speculation at some point. If you can't understand that science isn't an static subject and that nothing is written in stone then you have no right to speak about what's a valid theory and what isn't.

anything else is baseless scienceless speculation similar to: "wouldn't it be neat if we could breath vacuum?! "
              You mean "Wouldn't it be neat if we didn't need to breathe while in vacuum?". Geez,you gotta work more on your internetz.

And you see, there's a topic that could give you the solution to that problem. Click here.
              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Keep in mind high school was a long long time ago for some of us. >.>

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

And to be honest, once I was done with science, I promptly forgot about it. I needed that room in my brain for useless pop culture trivia.

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                    Keep in mind high school was a long long time ago for some of us. >.>
                    Hey! I still remember everything I learned in my school days like it was yesterday!

...too bad I didn't learn much at the time because I was too busy being a teenager and stuff. <.<;

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                    And to be honest, once I was done with science, I promptly forgot about it. I needed that room in my brain for useless pop culture trivia.
                    It isn't useless, I mean if we can win concert tickets from time to time with that knowledge then it's all good.
                    sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                    X