Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My alma mater...

Long ago and far away...
    I knew the classrooms of Norris Hall well.
    West Ambler-Johnston was my dorm.

AP article:Shooting at Virginia Tech

What led him to do this? Even as a large group of students, we engineering majors worked together and we knew when the pressure was getting to someone. My friend and I had to do a little "intervention" one time. >.>
    They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Re: My alma mater...

from the sounds of it, upset with his girlfriend.

Damn women!

Comment

Sad story.
      Last edited by KoukiRyu; 04-17-2007, 05:38 AM. Reason: There, that better?

Thanks to Roguewolf for the sig. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
        from the sounds of it, upset with his girlfriend.
        There has to be more to it than that. If he wanted to go on a completely random shooting rampage, there are other buildings that are much closer. Norris Hall isn't what you'd call "close" to WAJ (~1/2 mile away although it never seemed that far to me) and it's not even one of the first buildings you reach when you cross the drillfield. He could've even just continued shooting in that dorm.
        They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by KoukiRyu View Post
          Not to be stereotypical, or biased or anything like that, but I'm very suprised to see that it was an asian guy. I at first assumed that it was some emo/crazy white guy...and then to find out it was some asian guy is quite suprising to me.
          And uhh...I'm white btw, so not being racist.
          Then why even bring it up. You don't believe that asians can be messed up?
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Oh erm...I do know for a fact that asians can be messed up, but there just aren't stories of asians going around shooting up schools. It suprised me to see one pushed so far, and before I had looked into it, I had assumed it was a white guy.

Thanks to Roguewolf for the sig. :D

Comment

The AP article has been updated a little since I first posted. Apparently he was an English major and "a loner".

Comment

Well, from the sounds of the students, he was looking for his girlfriend, which would explain why he crossed what seems to be most of campus (just from maps i've seen, i've never been there)

Comment

Yeah, if he thought she was there it would make sense for him to show up there... as much sense as any of this can make.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Not that there's much "sense" to any of this anyway...

AP now says his writings were disturbing and he was referred to counseling. Um...yeah because all the actually disturbed people listen to that. Usually it takes a uniformed person to come to class and say "Excuse me, you're coming with us for a little while." (yes, that's what they've actually done in the past)

I can't imagine voluntary, conventional counseling would have helped him at all anyway.

Nothing officially written about the girlfriend aspect yet...too much disinformation still floating around.

I feel especially bad for the RA who got killed and his family. RAs have to deal with enough crap just normally and for something like this to happen...

Comment

just the list of the 5 or 6 people they have released is staggering. so much loss.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Shit like this just continually disturbs me. I can't understand why someone would have to take the lives of more than 30 innocent people because that person was "troubled." It's so (excuse my language) fucked up.

If you have problems in you life that you can't deal with, and you are considering suicide, it's your life. Take it. I'm in no position to tell you otherwise. But to take the lives away from innocent people that have no connection to you is just fucked. It pisses me off to no end to think about it. And in the end, the pussy always kills himself and we're left with the wake it's left behind.

God damn.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                        ------
                        Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                        When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

I go to Virginia Tech now, and I was actually in the building that's adjacent to Norris Hall ( McBrdye Hall ) when this was going on.

It's kinda funny, I woke up late to my 9:00am class and I still went to it, not knowing what I'd get myself into. (I would've been better off oversleeping ) I cross the drillfield, oblivous to what's already happened in West AJ and I go to my class. Halfway through the class, my prof hears people mentioning shooting outside, and someone randomly comes in and tells us the situation.

After the rest of class was ruined, I head over to the stairwell, and I was actually overlooking the cops getting set-up around norris. I was pretty much boxed in McBryde, couldn't go anywhere. After awhile, I heard gunshots in Norris. After awhile, the police came into McBryde and set up a command post there, kicking us out.

So I went back to my dorm on the other side of campus, not knowing if any of my friends were ok, so I pretty much called up everyone I knew. A few people didn't respond, which was making me really worried. I was just watching the news, watching the death toll rise up, had no idea who died where, etc.. As far as I know, he went into random classrooms in Norris hall and started unloading rounds in the classes. I hope this guy burns for eternity.

Anyways, I'm probably gonna go to the convocation. I'm really shaken up by this.
                          ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Apparently his note had something to do with hating rich kids or something.

And mog, you seem fairly calm to be honest. Though only idiots let fear control them. You're gonna die anyway, might as well enjoy it. If you 'barely survived', you still survived. Heck, Seth Macfarlene, the creator of family guy, would've been on one of the planes that crashed into the WTC if he hadn't been a few minutes late.

Comment

Glad you're not harmed Mog, and I hope all of your friends are okay too. I can't imagine myself in that situation.

I'm really shaken up by this.
                              I'm more than 500 miles from Virginia Tech and I'm shaken up by this. It honestly disturbs me.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                              ------
                              Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                              When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Working...
                              X