No announcement yet.

Yet another reason why you should RTFM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another reason why you should RTFM.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/vivendi/son...ure-247969.php

If not for yourself, do it for the children!

Re: Yet another reason why you should RTFM.

WoW first Pokemon now this. I dunno can they even win the case when it came with a warning?

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

I play video games every day. I have epilepsy that has come and gone as it pleased all my life. Didn't have one seizure for 13 years then last August I started having them again. Its not a condition I like to see made light of for personal gain, as I suffer from it.

This suit doesn't even state the child's history with seizures or what injuries he had. Epilepsy itself is not debilitating when treated properly.

There really isn't one solid catalyst for what causes a seizure, I have ideas of what sets me off and it can be video games under certain conditions (I find for me its extreme lag like that found at HNM camps, my brain just can't process such abstract movements). But I've also had stress and the sound of water moving to be triggers for my episodes. I've even had them in my sleep, which doesn't really have a trigger other than erratic brainwave activity and emotion. I wake up feeling like a ton of bricks after.

I don't pass out, I zone out. I have brief cases of memory loss (fine at home, bad while driving). Depression for no reason, crying for no reason, laughing for no reason. Another fun side effect of late has been insomnia.

I hate suits like this because it just stereotypes the condition, it doesn't really give people an idea of how it affects people or what can truely cause them. Its not Spyro and its not Pikachu.

Pikachu never did me wrong. He my dog, yo.

Comment

Sorry if you're offended. I wouldn't make fun of seizures any more than I would make fun of obesity, AIDS, Alzheimer's, or cancer. My mom had seizures when she was younger (although i'm not sure if it was caused by epilepsy or not), many people I know (including myself) are obese, and my grandmother had her left breast removed due to cancer a couple weeks ago.

That said, I don't feel life is worth living if you don't enjoy it. That is why, even though something can be very serious, I usually have no objections to humour about it, as long as it's not done for the purpose of being rude or cruel to the victim.

EDIT: Rereading your post, seems like you're upset at the case itself. Still, my point stands.

Comment

Where did I say anything about you?

I was talking about the article. I'd consider anyone explioting a condition for financial gain to be making light of people who suffer from it.

Comment

what happen when you have seizure?

From what I see BBQ only pointed out that there are many causes to seizures : /

Stop with the personal attacks already guys.
            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
              what happen when you have seizure?
              For some people a seizure is just fainting. I used to just faint when I was young, it was like a spontainious nap. Some people faint and have convulsions or spasms while they've lost consciousness. Other cases people daze out, experience memory loss or loss of emotional control. In all cases, those that suffer from epileptic seizures experience physical fatigue, erratic brainwaves and disorientation.

Its very treatable through various medications and epilepsy can bother someone for a set amount of time and then not have another episode for years. But there really isn't a cure for it and when on medication, most people are normal and functional.

My condition started with a cyst in the center of my brain when I was like 10 years old. That and two other surgeries later I had a shunt placed in my head to drain spinal fluid from the left side of my skull. Fluid would just build up in there, press down on the left side of the brain and, well, it made me pretty dumb where discernment and math were concerned.

But there are many other possible causes. Child abuse can cause it amoung other things. Case studies show seizures purely from flashing lights in things like video games are very rare. So its possible this woman is barking up the wrong tree.

Comment

This lawsuit isn't going anyway, but as BBQ mentioned we didn't get any detailed info from this article. We don't know if this was his first seizure, his first time playing a video game, etc etc. Even then, both the system manual and the game manuals come with warnings in regards to causing seizures. Some games even have it listed while loading(think it was Nintendo).

But this is America, and in America everybody sues everybody. Very rarely does it go anywhere.
                Cleverness - Hades
                75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
                DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

Uh, Jei, nobody was making a personal attack. I misunderstood something BBQ said, and BBQ misunderstood something I said.

Nothing even rude about the conversation.

Comment

I have no clue what in the world RTFM is, but considering everything I've seen here... I'll assume it's READ THE FUCKING MANUAL.

amirite?
                    sigpic

Comment

urrite.

When you don't read the forums regularly, it's easy to misunderstand what's going on in a thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X