• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Career did you choose in RL & why

i have my secrets...
    Lowering Expectations Since Birth...

Comment

I do sales. I meet with builders, architects and home owners. I do alot of restoration in historical districts. Also been working on the Gulf Coast since Katrina hit us. I sell windows, exterior and interior doors, cupolas, columns, louvers etc.

I love my job. Lots of freedom. No limit on how much I can make either. I get to travel around the country to visit factories and conferences.

Another thing that makes my job not feel like a job is the fact that people I deal with aren't searching for the lowest price.
      Thanks Kazuki.
      Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Malevolent View Post
        Also theres always going to be one ass pirate at every job.

Not Ass Pirate, Ass Clown. There's a difference... an Ass Clown is not necessarily a homosexual, and an Ass Pirate is not necessarily a conniving backstabber--though some may exhibit an affinity for office gossip.

Comment

I'm glad to hear people saying they love their work. I got in to computers when I was twelve and now at 26 I'm absolutely addicted. I drive my wife nuts with it I like trouble shooting hardware. I see it as a challenge. Money can't buy happiness and if you don't love what you do at work, home, and school you will always be misrabul.

Comment

Taking IT in school now, so the same field as you. ;o I don't like it riiight now, I'm taking a stoopid 'Professional Development' course, but by the 8th I shall begin to enjoy(the class ends then :D).

Comment

Originally posted by Kadenmire View Post
              I'm glad to hear people saying they love their work. I got in to computers when I was twelve and now at 26 I'm absolutely addicted. I drive my wife nuts with it I like trouble shooting hardware. I see it as a challenge. Money can't buy happiness and if you don't love what you do at work, home, and school you will always be misrabul.
              Lol, similar story for me when it's summed up. Just started younger, may not of know what the hell I was doing but I do recall the joy I felt at that age when I would hit a button and the screen would spam with a character responce over and over.

Still remember the first program like thing my father showed me:

10 Print "Hello!"
              20 Goto 10

Still can't believe that when I was like 5 I was staring at a screen spamming "Hello!" across it over and over and over for I don't know how long, and actually enjoying that. Ehh, makes sense I guess. Still staring at a screen spamming data at me, just a bit more complex then just "Hello!" over and over.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Macht View Post
                Still remember the first program like thing my father showed me:
                10 Print "Hello!"
                20 Goto 10
                Oh man, the memories.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

College currently.

Studying Communication Design with hopes to get into Art Direction.
                  "Vacation. Alienation. Japanamation. Manga. Kanga. Naked Lunch. Hawaiian punch!!"

Comment

Refrigeration and Air conditioning is my field (more focused on industrial aplications), I quit college though, but have several uh, (how do you say it in english?) certificates? from all the courses and programs I've taken over the years. So apparently I have engineer level of preparation according to tests and other requisites for contracts I've taken.

Whether that's true or not I dunno, I just do my job because I like it.
                    sigpic
                    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I'm in a band :D
                      Extremely fun, i love to play shows
                      too bad it only makes enough money to pay for public
                      transportation >.>
                      Thats why i'am a photographer
                      [while going to college] :]
                      Fun stuff [no....not as fun as FF11]

Comment

Art major in school now...I'm gonna be a cartoonist, so while I may end up loving my job, I'm not gonna be loving the amount of work that it'll end up being.
                        PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                        Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                        WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                        Currently Playing:
                        FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

I really like doing what I do.

I'm a database programmer by day, though I can multitask into most fields of IT that don't involve Web technology (can do that to when I put my mind on it, but I dislike it immensely). My primary strengths are in process design, optimization, and interface creation.

When I'm not programming computers to juggle millions of numbers for business, I like to do recreational programming by modifying games. Much more fun, but also much more frustrating, if that makes any sense.

Icemage

Comment

Its like a whole IT department in here.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                              Its like a whole IT department in here.
                              At least you'll know who to ask if you are having computer trouble.

Comment

For what its worth, I'm a Digital Signal Processor Engineer. In a nutshell, I work on military communications devices (small form factor) that can be worn by the individual soldier. I'm just one cog in the big wheel. In particular, I'm pretty much the company's journeyman when it comes to all things in controlling the modulation/demodulation/handling of receiving and transmitting signals over the air.

It is not what I thought I'd be doing when I got out of college, but it is exactly what I thought I'd be doing when I took the job. Of course, at the time the job market was absolutely horrendous. Considering I had wrapped up a master's degree and the deferment on those loans were coming due, I had to take the job.

The work itself can be very interesting. Dealing with company bureaucracy is the pits, but is probably true anywhere. Working in the private sector for a big company has some big drawbacks as well. Sure, your company is reporting ridiculous windfalls this year and the execs are getting free Ferraris? Well congratulations and here is the same crappy raise again.

However, I will say that sometimes I get to go out in the field to do real-time testing. We slap these things on our backs or on soldiers' backs and do real simulations of the device. Even though I don't like being away from home for so long, it is really something to see it in action and actually perform very well.

Whatever job you do take, never go in with the attitude of "I'll work here for 30 years." Sometimes it is better to make your way a bit in one place and take your skills elsewhere to move up.

And for anybody in the military, if you know SINCGARS, that's me. Considering this is in the public domain anyway, here is the "next generation" of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X