Your dream home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your dream home?

A tiny home. I mean tiny, as in "Your living room is probably bigger than it is."

Sort of like http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses.htm#1016endgable

Actually downloading some floorplan software now so I can play around with layouts. I'd prefer a basement (You live in tornado alley for your entire life and tell me you don't want a basement), and a garage, so those things wouldn't work very well.

I still like the concept of a really tiny home where all the space is used effectively (no hallways, minimal 'storage' space. If it's in storage, chances are you don't need it anyway). Not really fond of RVs or trailers, however.

I'd prefer if it was on a small lot, near town. And I mean a real town, no "drive 30 minutes from THIS town to a place with a wal-mart every other day"

Re: Your dream home?

I'm quite the opposite of you, I want a big home. Plenty of bedrooms so that all my kids (have two now, planning on four total) will have their own room, my husband and I will have our room, and at least one guest bedroom.

Want a furnished basement for the kids/dogs to play in, and will absolutely not allow my dogs upstairs for any reason. I love dogs, despise dog hair.

I'm an interior design student, and much of my house is already designed in my head. My husband will have little say in the design. Sucks to be him, but who's gonna have the degree? Exactly.

I would like to live in the country, but it won't happen because Eddy hates being in the middle of nowhere. Although most big houses aren't right in the middle of the city either, so I guess we'll have some sort of compromise, there.

And the house must be built of brick or stones. No wood, no siding, and absolutely no stucco. I hate stucco.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Honestly, I don't have much of an idea about the home itself, but I can imagine the sort of location I'd want. It'd have to be out in the country.

Just open, featureless plains. Something sublime. Something vast. Maybe somewhere in Alaska.

It probably wouldn't be a large home, maybe larger than yours Feba but not by too much.
      The Knight of Faith resigns the dream, only to believe it.

Many tanks to Trita/Tagi for the signature.

Comment

DEAR GOD NOOOO!!! DON'T DO IT. BUILDING YOUR OWN HOUSE WILL DRIVE YOU MAD!!! AND MAKE YOU BROKE!!!

Hemm now that I've got that out of my system I found that building my own home was a lot harder then I thought it would be and don't trust contracters they lie.

Comment

Yeah, I can understand wanting a big house, especially if you're gonna be in a family enviroment, it can help to have room to get away from each other.

I live in a house that I think is around 3000sq.ft. now. 3 normal sized bedrooms, 1 half bath, 1 full bath, the master bath is bigger than a couple of the bedrooms, the master bedroom is around the same size. The walk in closet in the master is the size of one of the hallways, and there is ANOTHER closet inside it for additional storage. I could go on, but basically, it's freaking huge. Much more than we need, even though there's four people living here (started with two... *grumble* find your own place, freeloaders)

Anyway, [/rantoff], if this house wasn't so large, i'd probably go insane from having to interact with other people. Living by myself though, i'd prefer a much smaller place. Low maintenence, smaller areas to clean, easier to get around.

If I were raising a family though, i'd want enough space for everyone. I hate sharing my room with others, in fact last night, a family member decided to stay over while he was passing through town, I did NOT like the fact that the only room he could stay in was mine.

Call me territorial, but there's only three people who i'd be happy to share my room with, and probably about three people I wouldn't mind.

Comment

I go back and forth. Although I guess my ideas are all pretty similar to each other.

Most of the time I'd like to own a sprawling brownstone house (not apartment in a brownstone, but the entire house) in Boston's Back Bay area, for instance.

Or, like a couple of my friends (who are a bit more well-off than I am, but a boy can dream), I'd love to buy an old Italianate styled home here just outside downtown, that I could rehab and make my own.

For some examples of what I'm talking about:

I might not be able to do it anytime soon, but that's my eventual goal. Boston would be a true dream, just because it's such an amazing city. But even if I had to stay here the rest of my life (which I don't), I still have some amazing architecture that I could make mine.^^

edit: Heh. I found an actual picture (not a great angle) of their house.

Comment

This: http://www.mageesci.com/Antarctic/20...mmy_pond_2.jpg

With a bit less rock would be perfect. The isolation would be great.

I don't mind being around people, and I'd have to be to work, but I also really enjoy some isolation. I find landscape like that is great for getting things done, and reading which I also enjoy.

Comment

Shopee: nooooooo

I LIVED IN IOWA. EVEN IN THE TOWNS, TRUST ME, YOU WILL GO MAD @_@ I'm not a city boy by any definition, but you have no idea how nice it is to know there ARE people out there, even if you aren't interested in seeing in them.

Kadenmire: Depends on who you hire =P

you are right though, most contractors are either idiots or cons, I've got plenty of indirect experiance with that. I've got construction workers in my family and friends though, including my grandfather who's been in construction his entire life.

Double Post Edited:
                ael: those are nice. I'd like row housing if they were small like mine.
                Last edited by Feba; 07-15-2006, 08:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Most Row Houses are now broken into apartments in large cities like New York and Boston. So you don't have too much space to worry about.

Personally, I like having a lot of space. Small rooms make me crazy. But I also hate new construction, so I have to make do with what I have. This is the neighborhood I live in now. I have an apartment in an older home that I share with the owner (he has the top two floors, and I have the ground level). It's not bad, but I could use a bit more space.

edit:

Actually, this is my building. I have the floor below the bay window that you see. Not a great angle. Our street is very steep, and I have a spectactular view of downtown from my living room and front door.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba

I LIVED IN IOWA. EVEN IN THE TOWNS, TRUST ME, YOU WILL GO MAD @_@ I'm not a city boy by any definition, but you have no idea how nice it is to know there ARE people out there, even if you aren't interested in seeing in them.

Kadenmire: Depends on who you hire =P

you are right though, most contractors are either idiots or cons, I've got plenty of indirect experiance with that. I've got construction workers in my family and friends though, including my grandfather who's been in construction his entire life.

Double Post Edited:
                    ael: those are nice. I'd like row housing if they were small like mine.

I wasen't saying that all contactors are bad I just had a bad time with them.
                    Half of the crew diden't speak english and the other half diden't have an IQ above 5. So I coulden't talk to the intelligent ones and the ones I could talk to weren't intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba

Thanks for the warning. I'm not actually sure how that might affect me, but then again. the practicality of getting my dream home, and working in my ideal line of work would probably exclude each other pretty well anyways.

It'd be nice to have like a small house to head out to every once in a while like that though.

Comment

ael: Yeah, but i'd rather have my own house than an apartment. Of course, if I could find an apartment that was tiny like I want (most apartments are small, but not built tiny), i'd probably take it, but it would be nice to have my own house.

Comment

Well, I happen to know of a 300 Sq. Ft. apartment in NYC going for 300k right now. Yes, that's right. 1k per square foot. Ridiculous. But that's probably not the kind of small you're talking about.

In Europe you can often find something like what you're taking about. I saw this amazing place once on TV that was very small space-wise, but they managed to pack a lot into that space without it feeling constricting. You'd probably love it.

Comment

Europeans generally do live in smaller spaces, they also drive smaller cars. I guess it's a very American mentality that bigger is better.
                            sigpic
                            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

I can go either way. It depends on how the space (small or large) is utilized.

Comment

Working...
                              X