So how do you deal with racism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do you deal with racism?

Quick story, my lil sis just moved into an apartment in Harlem. She and her roommate are the only "crackers" on her block. Lately, she's been calling me to complain about all the negative comments and looks she gets heading to and from work every morning. I'm still trying to decide whether racism in this case is something she should actually be concerned about, or just silly. As I live in Salt Lake City, a town you could hit with a hydrogen bomb and not harm a single African American, I'd like the opinions of people who actually have experience. How do the rest of you deal with racism or discrimination on a daily basis? Should she just suck it up, and grow a spine? Is this just the price she paid for choosing to live somewhere she doesn't belong?

I'm not sure what to advise her. So far, my best idea has been comically overplaying every white stereotype I can think of to mock her neighbors. Things like buying a wife-beater tee, staining it with ketchup, and making sure she wears it every time she heads down to get her mail. I'm thinking of having her point to her roommate and yell, "I swear, officer, she hit me first!", whenever they pass one of her neighbors on their way out on the town. From there I thought I'd have her progress up to using a giant fake phone and shouting "Buy" and "Sell" into it at random intervals.

Granted, no one's burned a trailer in effigy outside her apartment yet, but I'd appreciate a better answer to give her than I have. It's been a long time since my Marine days, and I doubt sucker punching anyone who uses the word "honkey" around you really works as well in the civilized world, (or when done by a mousy little female accountant). What would you suggest?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Re: So how do you deal with racism?

Doesn't matter if you're Black or White, Asian, or Spanish. You will always have stupid, ignorant racist people, and for those, there's the same number of stereotypes.

Not every white person is a white-trash, trailer totin, pick up truck driving, mullet having redneck.

But some are.

Not every black person is a thuggy looking, "I'm gonna pop a cap in your ass.", du-rag wearing gangbanger.

But some are.

It really depends on the culture and influence these people have growing up.

Your sister didn't just move to a new city, she moved to a new culture.

There's only 3 things you can really do:

Ignore it.

Adapt to it.

Move away from it.
    Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
    90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

I suggest she buy a pistol.
      SOKARRDAMUS

70 Dark Knight
      71 Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Sokarr
        I suggest she buy a pistol.
        He said nothing about them being violent.

To the OP: Your sister can never change everyone around her. She will never be able to influence enough of them to make a dent. My best advice? She stick with the people around her that are NOT racists, who are understanding and caring toward her situation, and ignore the rest. Ultimately, she'll be happier if she tries to live free of as much of the predjudices around her as possible.
        BLM75 RNG65 BRD50 NIN37 RDM37 WHM25 WAR25 BST21 THF7
        Cooking83
        Elemental Magic Skill Merits 1/5

Thanks to Kazuki for the awesome sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Kitalrez
          Quick story, my lil sis just moved into an apartment in Harlem. She and her roommate are the only "crackers" on her block. Lately, she's been calling me to complain about all the negative comments and looks she gets heading to and from work every morning. I'm still trying to decide whether racism in this case is something she should actually be concerned about, or just silly. As I live in Salt Lake City, a town you could hit with a hydrogen bomb and not harm a single African American, I'd like the opinions of people who actually have experience. How do the rest of you deal with racism or discrimination on a daily basis? Should she just suck it up, and grow a spine? Is this just the price she paid for choosing to live somewhere she doesn't belong?

I'm not sure what to advise her. So far, my best idea has been comically overplaying every white stereotype I can think of to mock her neighbors. Things like buying a wife-beater tee, staining it with ketchup, and making sure she wears it every time she heads down to get her mail. I'm thinking of having her point to her roommate and yell, "I swear, officer, she hit me first!", whenever they pass one of her neighbors on their way out on the town. From there I thought I'd have her progress up to using a giant fake phone and shouting "Buy" and "Sell" into it at random intervals.

Granted, no one's burned a trailer in effigy outside her apartment yet, but I'd appreciate a better answer to give her than I have. It's been a long time since my Marine days, and I doubt sucker punching anyone who uses the word "honkey" around you really works as well in the civilized world, (or when done by a mousy little female accountant). What would you suggest?
          My best advise to your little sister is simple: don't deal with it, ignore the dogs who would sooner eat their own vomit than have good friends. They're only seeking attention, and quite frankly they don't deserve it-which is why they stoop so low.

Comment

Thank you, guys, this all helps. I now have something useful to give her.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

I'm Asian, and frankly, you do run into racists once in a while. I ignore them as if they don't exist, because frankly, people who are too blind to see past the color of your skin aren't worth my time to converse with, either negatively or positively.

If they don't want to be friends, that's their loss.

Icemage

Comment

Working...
              X