Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Knight

I saw it last night at midnight.

It was simply... amazing. In my opinion, it's the best of the Batman films by far. While Batman Begins showed Wayne assuming the Batman persona, he didn't truly take it on until this film. TDK is a great character study of Wayne/Batman and what it truly means to be Batman in relation to power, responsibility etc. Christian Bale did a great job once again.

Going into the film, I had read some of the buzz for Heath Ledger and how he deserved an Oscar for the role, but I didn't really buy into it. I can see what all the hype was about now. Ledger took the Joker and brought him into a real world context. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but the character just seemed... real. Overall, he did a brilliant job in portraying the voice, laugh and mannerisms of the Joker in his own way without re-writing the character. In my opinion, it's the best portrayal of the character to date and it's a damn shame Ledger didn't live to see it.

Aaron Eckhart did a solid job as Dent but he's really outshined here. Overall though, he did what he needed to. It's a shame they didn't flesh out the character more for him though. If there was a weak point to the movie, that was it.

All of the auxiliary actors/characters did well alongside the mains. Maggie Gyllenhaal was a nice upgrade from Katie Holmes and came off like she should have played Rachel in the first place. Oldman really came into his own as Gordon. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman have some very well played and subtly powerful scenes as well. I love that they decided to play Lucius Fox off as an enabler and a secondary moral compass as well.

As for the story, it's difficult to get into it much without spoiling anything, but I enjoyed it a lot. It's obvious that they are building to a 3rd movie and thus this installment has sort of an Empire Strikes Back feeling to it, and no... the Joker is not Bruce Wayne's father. >.>

All in all, it was definitely worth going into work today on only three hours sleep.
    Last edited by eticket109; 07-18-2008, 10:59 AM.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Re: The Dark Knight

Going tonight, can't wait. I've been stoked for this movie for a long time.
    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Leaving in 2 hours to see it. Pre-ordered my tickets and I'm watching the clock like a hawk!
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I just bought tickets to an IMAX screening for 1:30 tomorrow morning. XD

I'm not letting the night shift stop me from seeing this movie. *is at work typing this*

Comment

Waiting to see it when everything dies down, but I picked up a copy of Batman Begins today for a refresher of the first movie since I hadn't watched it again since.

So far everyone is say the movie actually exceeds the hype its built up. Given the particular comic book material they took inspiration from for the story, I can actually believe it, because those were great stories in comic book form. Ledger was said to have drawn inspiration for his Joker from "The Killing Joke" which is a recommended read and you can find it at most Barnes and Nobles you could go to.

Just as an aside, did anyone pick up the Batman: Gotham Knight, I was thinking about giving that a rent before going out to see The Dark Knight next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
            Waiting to see it when everything dies down, but I picked up a copy of Batman Begins today for a refresher of the first movie since I hadn't watched it again since.

So far everyone is say the movie actually exceeds the hype its built up. Given the particular comic book material they took inspiration from for the story, I can actually believe it, because those were great stories in comic book form. Ledger was said to have drawn inspiration for his Joker from "The Killing Joke" which is a recommended read and you can find it at most Barnes and Nobles you could go to.

Just as an aside, did anyone pick up the Batman: Gotham Knight, I was thinking about giving that a rent before going out to see The Dark Knight next week.
            Friend of mine got it, says its pretty good. But thats all he said. Didn't give me a basis for comparison or anything like that. I figure its worth the couple bucks on the rental, atleast.
            I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

I'm still skeptical.

I didn't like the last 3 batman movies (I still like Tim Burton's renditions best, and even then they're not dark enough like the comics are) and well... it's heath ledger.

I liked him well enough in A Knight's Tale, but The Joker? The trailer I saw for it a month ago was a 5-minute scene with mostly just him and his goons @ a bank heist, with him taunting whom I presumed was the bank owner. Well, suffice to say the lines were shit, and I don't much care for how they've changed his back ground story (His face is apparently make up now too, WTF? That's supposed to be his SKIN)

I dunno, I'll rent it. But to me the greatest Joker of all time is still Mark Hamil, followed by Jack Nicholson.
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Ok, went to see it. I'm hard to please also and I'm not a fan of either Ledger or Bale. (Though Freeman and Oldman I am! LOL but they played smaller roles.)

I have to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I did not make a mistake seeing this movie. It is absolutely worth your time and money. I will say that it is a might bit long. (Bad back and theatre seats = not so much fun) But I'd do it again and why? Because Heath Ledger was THAT GOOD. Honestly the guy creeped me out, made me laugh, and, at times, made me want to yell at the screen "STOP THAT!" (If you've seen the movie you'll know what I mean. LOL) I will even admit to a small cry at the end when I thought to myself "OMG can't wait for the next one!" and then realized that he would not be in it. What an absolute fucking shame...he was magnificent!

Some of the banter between Caine and Bale fell a little flat at times. Not a big fan of Gyllenhaal and she was, once again, not very enticing. Couldn't they have gotten a younger and better looking lead female anyways? Honestly she has more wrinkles than I do!! LOL Eckhart also did an awesome job and I even enjoyed Eric Roberts, which I normally do not.

The story was solid. While its your basic "here is a bad guy defeat him" type of story, it also delved into the psychological aspects of being a hero or a villan which was VERY intriguing. (Though that is my field so it might just be me. LOL) One word of warning, there is more story than there is action. I don't think that this is a bad thing but I know some people want all the big special effects and little story so just a friendly warning. I was a bit surprised by that fact actually since I thought it would be the other way around.

Imo, there is no comparing the Nicholson Joker and the Ledger Joker. Jack's Joker was set in a more cartoony unbelievable Batman era. It was pure comic like entertainment. Mr. Ledger's Joker is the exact opposite. He is a believable madman and plays the part perfectly and its set in a real city and borders on believable. (Of course, gadgets and such take it out of that realm.)

If you are on the fence, go see it. I think its absolutely worth it and I'm hard to please. My son was absolutely shocked when I said I'd pay to see it again. He immediately called our very close friends and told them "Mom said she'd go see it again, hit her up if you come to town.......YES! It is that good!"
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

<,< gimmie $10.00 and you're on.
                  sigpic

Comment

Saw it and loved it, and I'm not even a Batman fan in particular. It's like the Animatrix of Batman cartoons.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                      I liked him well enough in A Knight's Tale, but The Joker?
                      I thought the same thing, I mean, c'mon - Heath Ledger? After seeing it though, I can tell you that the Oscar talk is not just posthumous lip service - he was amazing. I never would have picked Ledger as a guy that could play the role of the Joker, but it was masterful. I liked Eckhart as Dent, not so much as Two Face - I just didn't really feel his motivation as I felt the other characters, but as eticket said, it could just be that he was outshined here.

I highly recommend this flick, it was worth every penny to see it once, and I will probably go again.
                      FFXIV Balmung Server
                      Tenro Matashi
                      PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

OMG it was so freekin awesome!!! Ledger did a superb job at bringing The Joker into a true sense of a madman! Honestly everyone should go see it. There are so many scenes that will make you jump, be amazed, surprised, and enthralled! So, overall it is a must see!

Favorite line(s).......

The Joker-"Here I'm gonna show you a magic trick. I'm gonna make my pencil here disappear!" *bam*

Gamble-"Do you honestly think you can stand there and rob us in daylight?"
                        The Joker "Yeah!"

Anyone who seen the movie knows what I'm talking about. Now lemme hear your favorite lines!
                        Thank you very much to Selphiie for this sig!

Comment

5pm can't come any sooner. i can't wait to see this movie >.<
                          Thf75/Cor75- Time to work on this...

Caleus-Fenrir-BACK!

Comment

Originally posted by kai_samoht View Post
                            Now lemme hear your favorite lines!
                            Yes there were many one liners that made me laugh. I think I'll keep them to myself though and then people who haven't seen the movie yet can find the little gems themselves.

Comment

Too bad he's dead now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X