Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spidey Shatters Records With $148M

[Spoilers]

To be honest, I'm okay with how Sandman was in this movie but the huge letdown is Venom. I mean there are those minor differences with the comic, which is okay. However Venom would NEVER team up and they REALLY needed to stop showing Eddie Brock's face and voice once the venom transformation was made. The movie overall was good, it just wasn't my type of movie because it was more Peter Parker rather then Spider-Man.

Oh and is it just me or does Dunst make a TERRIBLE MJ? I mean . . . .at first I was okay with it but after Gwen showed up . . . I'm all for Gwen then Dunst.

Last thing, I guess there won't be a carnage? T.T I think Venom and Carnage was the favorite part of the series for me. . . . . sigh.
    Last edited by Zempten; 05-08-2007, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I never liked MJ, thought she was too fat and looked too old the first time I saw her...
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Read a review of it today that brought up another point, wasn't MJ already an accomplished actress in 2? But now suddenly noone wants her? Wts?

And, about Hobgoblin, wasn't hobgoblin an actual goblin though, like he was transformed into a goblin, not just Harry wearing a mask?
        I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Nonono, Hobgoblin was a completely different entity. There was the Green Goblin(Norman Osborn), the second Green Goblin(Harry Osborn), Green Goblin the third(Phil Urich), and Green Goblin yet again(Norman Osborn returned). Obviously, everything after the second Green Goblin is stuff that went on exclusive to the comic.

Anyways, the Hobgoblin mantle taken by five or six different guys, the one I most vividly remember being Jason Macendale Jr. The Hobgoblin image was inspired by the Green Goblin, but that's about as far as they are related.

The Demogoblin is yet another separate entity, but more related to Hobgoblin. It was some random demon that was fused with the Hobgoblin, which transformed the Hobgoblin into a real goblin.

Comment

Originally posted by Zempten View Post
            [Spoilers]

To be honest, I'm okay with how Sandman was in this movie but the huge letdown is Venom. I mean there are those minor differences with the comic, which is okay. However Venom would NEVER team up and they REALLY needed to stop showing Eddie Brock's face and voice once the venom transformation was made. The movie overall was good, it just wasn't my type of movie because it was more Peter Parker rather then Spider-Man.

Oh and is it just me or does Dunst make a TERRIBLE MJ? I mean . . . .at first I was okay with it but after Gwen showed up . . . I'm all for Gwen then Dunst.

Last thing, I guess there won't be a carnage? T.T I think Venom and Carnage was the favorite part of the series for me. . . . . sigh.
            I agree...also how come Venom looked different on Petter then on the other dude? they both are spiders..but did like Venom still his powers and just stransfer it to the dude? I dont know I didnt get that part at all...plus it was kind of dumb how he became venom in the first place. Plus I didnt think Harry died in the comics? I am not sure...and I like MJ Kirstin Dunst is so perfect for the part. Also what about the lizard dude? and spidy with 6 arms? I dont know...if they make a 4th..would there even be a storyline behind it though?

Comment

It was bad enough that they threw Venom in just to satisfy Venom-freaks, the movie would have been perfect with just the Sandman. It was necessary to differentiate between the black suit on Spidey and the suit on Venom, it represented the drastic change when one fully embraces the power--and hatred that the black suit brings, though I would have liked to see the full wraparound white spider logo on Spider-Man as well.

And there is nothing "Spider" about Venom. Venom was a foreign symbiote. The traits it exhibited were a mimcry of Spider-Man's abilities, or at least that's what I tell myself.

One thing I wonder: in the comics, the symbiote's origin was explained in full(over the course of 20 years), but they never explained where it came from in the movie... though I had to go to the bathroom so bad, I missed five minutes prior to MJ's stage performance, so it might have been explained there.

Yes, Harry did die in the comics. I think his death in the series was about as noble as his end in the movie, I can't recall.

It would be neat if they made a fourth movie, but...

... Curt Connors as the Lizard: HELL YES! I was expecting this from the moment he made his appearance in the second movie.

... Spider-Doppelganger(six-armed double): FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, NO! That was always one of those gaudy ideas that should have been left on the drawing board, people wanted to think they could do something with it, but it was never pulled off. I don't think that even Sam Raimi could save that cheap concept.

... Carnage: PLEASE, NO! First of all, we've already seen one symbiote, no need to rehash the concept. Second, Raimi did a great job adding depth to Eddie Brock's previously one-dimensional, mindless hatred for Spider-Man. Carnage, however, is a bloodthirsty symbiote bonded to a bloodthirsty serial killer on death row. There is no kind of character there. Just tool to up the body count. Totally unnecessary.

... Six-armed Spider-Man: Interesting concept. There was a point in the series where Peter messed around and grew another two pair of arms, it would be cool to see it spun as his powers growing out of control, seeing how he'd adapt.

... Electro: HELL YES. Similar to the Sandman, a bottom-tier chump given immense power? What would he do? Sparks fly(pun intended).

Comment

What is the actually history of the symbiote?

As far as the movie went, you didn't miss much, it was in a rock that fell to earth and jumped onto Parker's moped as he drove by.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspian View Post
                  What is the actually history of the symbiote?
                  way, way back in marvel history, spider-man and a bunch of other marvel heroes and villains was involved in this little caper called Secret Wars. Spidey eventually had to sacrifice his web-shooters to help the rest of the heroes out of a jam. However, this left him feeling naked and not-whole.

Reed Richards suggested that he (spidey) try looking in his lab to see if there was something he could use. There spidey happened upon this black thing which turned into a costume very much like spider-woman's (II) and would respond to his thoughts (he could make it short-sleeved, biker shorts, etc.). It also could shoot webs.

And so, spidey goes off with his new costume, Secret Wars ends, he returns to Earth and the rest is history.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Ah

As you can see my knowledge of spiderman extends to only that which was covered by the cartoon in the early 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by BurningPanther View Post
                      It was bad enough that they threw Venom in just to satisfy Venom-freaks, the movie would have been perfect with just the Sandman. It was necessary to differentiate between the black suit on Spidey and the suit on Venom, it represented the drastic change when one fully embraces the power--and hatred that the black suit brings, though I would have liked to see the full wraparound white spider logo on Spider-Man as well.
                      And there is nothing "Spider" about Venom. Venom was a foreign symbiote. The traits it exhibited were a mimcry of Spider-Man's abilities, or at least that's what I tell myself.
                      You're right on how the suit takes on Spidey's powers. While attached to Parker, the symbiote absorbed his abilities and knowledge into itself. When Parker freed himself from the symbiote and it attached itself to brock, who openly embraced the power, their shared hatred of Parker and Spiderman created Venom. Though I will disagree with one thing, I think this movie did a HORRIBLE job creating a conflict between Parker and Brock. They knew each other for all of two days and barely interacted. What they should have done was use the fact that "Eddie" was specifically mentioned in the first film as the Bugle's staff photographer, and was being constantly trumped by the freelance Parker's photos....ultimately ending with Parker taking his job. That's more or less how they did it in the comics and cartoon.

One thing I wonder: in the comics, the symbiote's origin was explained in full(over the course of 20 years), but they never explained where it came from in the movie... though I had to go to the bathroom so bad, I missed five minutes prior to MJ's stage performance, so it might have been explained there.
                      There was no explanation. It fell from the sky in a rock and landed conviently near Parker and MJ's web hamock. It then gooped it's way onto the back of Parker's moped as he drove off. Nothing in anyway shape or form was mentioned about where it came from and it's origin was one of the worst parts of this film imo. They could have done much better with either the Animated continuity origin (space rock with the symbiote hits a shuttle causing it to crash into NY where Spidey saves the crew and obtains the symbiote that way) or the Ultimate universe origin (the symbiote was an experimental cure for cancer created by Parker's parents that was locked away in cold storage because it was found to be dangerous)

It would be neat if they made a fourth movie, but...
                      ... Curt Connors as the Lizard: HELL YES! I was expecting this from the moment he made his appearance in the second movie.
                      Technically Conners was mentioned in the first one as well, and there still is three possible sequals left to go

... Carnage: PLEASE, NO! First of all, we've already seen one symbiote, no need to rehash the concept. Second, Raimi did a great job adding depth to Eddie Brock's previously one-dimensional, mindless hatred for Spider-Man. Carnage, however, is a bloodthirsty symbiote bonded to a bloodthirsty serial killer on death row. There is no kind of character there. Just tool to up the body count. Totally unnecessary.
                      Honestly, I would have LOVED to see Carnage in the last film of the series. The fact that he is so one dimensional and simple minded is what makes him great. But the biggest thing about Carnage is that it forces Spiderman and Venom to actually fight side by side...while fighting each other. A massive, three way super spider all out brawl would have been an awesome way to finish the franchise IMO. But as is, there's little to no chance that it will ever happen.

As for possible villains, there's Mysterio who was rumored to be possibly played by Bruce Cambell, and of course the Scorpion, the geneticly enhanced 'Spiderman hunter' financed by JJJ. The Lizard will definatly play a part, almost gaurenteed to be in a three way brawl of sorts. There's also Electro, The Rhino and The Vulture off the top of my head, all of whom are all long time rivals of Spiderman. And lets not forget the Blackcat, who's also been a big part of Spiderman's lore for a long time and was responsible for some of that 'romantic drama' these movies seem to love so much.
                      "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Venom has spider sense.

I hated the Spiderhunters.

Also, Carnage came from outspace as well. I think he came down off of a shuttle.

They took an original idea, and tried to make it something everybody would enjoy. It worked, but it alienated a lot of fans and otherwise who enjoy creativity the likes of which the comic accomplished. There was a lot they could have done, but they watered it down into a mess.

America will throw its money at anything these days.
                        Last edited by DakAttack; 05-10-2007, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru View Post
                          way, way back in marvel history, spider-man and a bunch of other marvel heroes and villains was involved in this little caper called Secret Wars. Spidey eventually had to sacrifice his web-shooters to help the rest of the heroes out of a jam. However, this left him feeling naked and not-whole.

Reed Richards suggested that he (spidey) try looking in his lab to see if there was something he could use. There spidey happened upon this black thing which turned into a costume very much like spider-woman's (II) and would respond to his thoughts (he could make it short-sleeved, biker shorts, etc.). It also could shoot webs.

And so, spidey goes off with his new costume, Secret Wars ends, he returns to Earth and the rest is history.
                          For anyone who watched the after school cartoon would know how venom got here. Jona Jameson's son was astronaut who had a moon mission. During that mission they found rocks and minerals most notably a BLACK ROCK. Coming back to earth and after trying to conduct studies on the black rock nothing would give results. then black rock cracks opn in the middle of the nite...then i can't remember how it gets to peter...i think it some how gets in the sewers and spiderman fights someone in the sewers and thinks its just oils all over his costume...something to that matter...

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

To me the S3 was pretty....ehh long and drawn out. I was tired of seeing problems with Peter and MJ only for what happened in the end. I loved the last fight scene though, but some of the commentary of it was stupid and pretty obvious (This may be the end of Spiderman). MJ hardly ever looks pretty in this movie, the other girl could have easily done a better job as MJ. I also think how the rock got on earth...stupid.

As for the relationship of Brock and Peter, I think it was pretty ok. I mean, Brock would and anyone would be extremely emo after what happened to him. Although, he shouldn't have done what he did in the first place, what happened to Brock would really suck =/.
                            http://www.livejournal.com/users/zandria_/
                            ---
                            Dra Bmyhad Ec Toehk - FF7
                            ----
                            Final Fantasy XI - Zandria

Comment

People will throw their money at anything, because they want to fit in.
                              Fixed.

Comment

I think it's trying to say that it was all Peter's own fault in the first place. Brock got angry when peter ruined his camera, so the false news was Brock's way of revenge against spiderman.
                                Anyway, it was still a super weak plot.
                                There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                                but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                                transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Working...
                                X