What web browser do you use...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What web browser do you use...

At this point, I almost never bother trying to educate people why they shouldn't use programs that most of the malware is targeted to exploit. If they haven't figured it out by now, beating them with a clue stick is just going to break a perfectly good clue stick.

I use Firefox because I find it more capable and/or convenient than anything else. With the handful of extensions I use Firefox ends up being the perfect tool, whether I'm on my Linux, Mac, or Windows boxen.

signature by fallenintoshadows

Comment

I use Firefox because back in the day (before version 1.x.x) I found it while I was looking for an alternative to IE. I didn't have a huge super OMG problem with IE, but there were just things I didn't enjoy (ActiveX comes to mind). Not to mention, the fact that Firfox is open-source is golden. Wonder why Firefox is so "secure?" Not quite because it's actually totally secure, but because the "hacking" community seems to stray away from Firefox because it is open-sourceness (or at least that's what I've come to understand from various online sources).

Then there's plugins and themes that honestly just put most other browsers to shame. With IE, when we want significant changes made to the UI, we get to wait for Microsoft to update it, then download it. If I want to change the UI of Firefox, I get/make a plugin.

P.S. Did I mention it's open-source? Oh yeah, I did. Bite it Microsoft.
      Firefox isn't perfect (nothing is), but as far as I'm concerned it does shit pretty darn well.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
      ------
      Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
      When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

I use FireFox. I originally changed from IE6 to FireFox mainly because of tabbed browsing, and because there was less chance that someone exploited security flaws in FireFox than IE6. I still think the chance for exploits favors FireFox over IE, and the Noscript and AddBlock Plus addons gives me even more security.

Comment

I used to use firefox alot, but my website was having some problems with firefox, so I tried out Opera, now I can't go back, the features are great!
          Last edited by Shrayn_lolsam; 12-30-2007, 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling :x

Comment

Firefox is better. But you still probably want to leave IE installed. You can't download microsoft updates on firefox. And some websites (very few) don't display correctly in firefox and/or let you do downloads. But firefox is definitely better.

Comment

If some websites dont display correctly on some browsers, its purely the owner of that website's fault not programming their website correctly.

Just had to get that out there being a web developer myself.

Firefox is my browser, IE6 and 7 when they I have to go out of my way to debug any problems they bring to my creations. Luckily, microsoft has stated that IE8 is... fully standarts compliant, orly?
              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Firefox for plugins, security, and not being developed by microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
                  Luckily, microsoft has stated that IE8 is... fully standarts compliant, orly?
                  Hehe, it'll still have the-hell-with-standards mode too, just not enabled by default.

Also, to add to my earlier post on why I use Opera, it's hella easy to globally disable Javascript, Flash, and iframes, then re-enable them on a site-by-site basis where they're needed.
                  Wii Number - 2810 2423 4673 3261 - Please PM me if you add me!
                  How to ask smart questions: catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Boom! (On SCH75/RDM)

Comment

Originally posted by priji View Post
                    you still probably want to leave IE installed
                    Well ya, since you don't really have a choice.

Luckily, microsoft has stated that IE8 is... fully standarts compliant, orly?
                    No, it will just be a lot closer then it has been.
                    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Luckily, microsoft has stated that IE8 is... fully standarts compliant,
                      That's really, really, really unlikely. AFAIK, nobody has made a fully standards compliant browser yet, IE is just less standards compliant than most. If there is a fully compliant browser out there, it's probably just a proof of concept, and not something you'll actually use.

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                      Well ya, since you don't really have a choice.
                      Huh, I thought people had written programs to remove IE from the OS, as part of that whole anti-trust thing to show IE wasn't actually that closely tied to Windows. Microsoft changed that, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Shrayn_lolsam View Post
                        I used to use firefox alot, but my website was having some problems with firefox, so I tried out Opera, now I can't go back, the features are great!
                        Opera is dead sexy.. Don't get me wrong I love me some Firefox, but I'd totally get with Opera any time she's in town.

Oh.. wait.. lol!

--------

IE8.. fully standards complaint? Sure, if your standards are somewhere between head cheese and a toaster oven.
                        Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
                        Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
                        Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

I just use firefox...I like it and it has alot less security troubles than dumb internet explorer..
                          Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
                          (have fun MMO players ^^)
                          Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

IE at work, where people who get paid ridiculous sums of money are charged with our data security, and Safari/Firefox at home
                            sigpic

(\ /)
                            ( . . )
                            C(")(")
                            ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

Working...
                            X