wireless questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless questions.

after returning some things i got for christmas...I'm getting the things i really need...like a new wireless router...I just ordered this off of newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124262

a few questions tho...if i open the correct ports for XBL & FFXI I could opperate all my gaming on the G signal and all my computer stuff on the B signal? am i right in saying that? or is port triggering just for prioritizing which applications are first and second and so on so forth...?

Also speaking of the 360 i heard it online play is alot better on an A or N signal compared to B or G. Can anyone verify that...MS tech support seems a lil dumbfounded when i asked and the geek squad at best buy just kept asking "whats microsoft? go mac man save some green" Then i asked thinking save some green meant they had a sale on macs...no...the guy was just felt he should be a lil more enviro friendly... >.>

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Re: wireless questions.

1st... How can you save money by going to Mac? A Mac is (in general) more expensive than a comparable PC.

WRT the B and G stuff, you can operate everything on either signal. I have a NetGear WGT624. The way it sets up, I can select B, G, B & G, 108, or Auto-108. The last two settings are some "other" protocol that the Netgear uses to get higher data transfer rates. I've never actually hit 108 except over very short ranges (I think 108 mode is based on "n" specs, but I'm not quite sure--it's biggest limitation is that it only runs on channel 6). The router will connect to any number of wireless devices on the G channel which is the faster of the B and G channels. The letter attached to the protocol is just generational--it's not like a separate "wire" or "port" you can run on. You can run all of your devices on the same protocol--having a G device on a router doesn't "lock out" the G channel so other devices have to share but B's don't. All of the connecting devices share the same wireless connection regardless of protocol (G, B, and n all share). Protocol A is not commonly found among consumer devices. Get a B/G router or one with B/G/N and then put it in the mode that allows the widest array of connections that fit the capabilities of your devices.

Ok... I just realized that post was a bit rambling.

The 802.11 protocol selection does not prioritize connections toward devices on the faster protocol--all share the same bandwidth regardless of protocol.

Devices of "A" protocol are not as common in the consumer world. Ignore them--Protocol A is one of the slow protocols anyway.

Many routers have multiple protocols. A router that does B, G, and N is best as it allows the fastest possible connection on all sorts of devices.

Protocol N is not fully standardized, therefore if you get an N device and expect to use it, you should stick with N devices from the same manufacturer as your router.

If you want to do deeper research on the available WiFi protocols search for "802.11 wireless protocols".
    Last edited by Sabaron; 12-26-2007, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Re: wireless questions.

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
      1st... How can you save money by going to Mac? A Mac is (in general) more expensive than a comparable PC.
      I was wondering the same thing...but was wrong in thinking they were having some kind of sale... >.>

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
      Ok... I just realized that post was a bit rambling.
      Actually it was understanding to me. Thanks for the help.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Working...
      X