This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN Internet Connection Messed up.

Okay well I have 3 computers, they all run on lan. the computer that is connected to the internet is working fine but a while ago my other 2 computers cannot connect to the internet.. Im guessing its something to do with the connection but I have no clue what to do. I use a linksys router and I have a broadband connection.

Anyone have a clue how to fix it? I cant play FFXI because of this >

PLD47, WAR29

Re: LAN Internet Connection Messed up.

Make sure your LAN on each computer is set to Obtain IP Automaticlly. Go here to check:

Windows XP
    Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click "LAN" Properties > Highlight Internet Protocal > Click on Properties > Make Sure Green Dot is to automatic on both.

That should fix the problem, if not then you will need to make sure your Linksys has a broad IP range. If the above does not work I will tell you how to check it.

Medalink

Comment

Your explanation is a little confusing. What is different about the one computer that is working? If you have one computer connected directly to the internet via some kind of modem, how is the router connected? Normally for a consumer type router, the router is connected to the modem/whatever, and all computers are connected to it.

Do you mean that this is a wireless router, and one computer (which works) is wired into it and the others are wireless? If so, do you use wireless encryption, or limit the MAC addresses that can connect? (good ideas, but also common sources of headaches) Was a change made to the OS on the wireless computers before they stopped working?

My family has a Netgear wireless router which for the moment is plugged into my server box's eth2 port (yes, I have a computer doing server/router/NAT w/ 3 NICs), so I have a little experience with wireless issues.

A couple quick things you can try from the computer wired directly is use the gateway address (should say in the manual what this is) to access the router, you can probably find a web-based configuration page for it. Try changing the channel your access point listens on in case another one is interfering. Make sure the Access Point is enabled. Make sure that if you have limited the MAC addresses that can connect, that those MAC addresses do in fact match the addresses of the other computer's wireless cards (ipconfig can tell you this). If WEP (Wireless encryption) is enabled, try disabling it and see if they can connect. If so, you may need to reenter the encryption key on the other computers, or even check to make sure that the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service is being started automatically (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services) in order to get encryption working.
      Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
      DRK99,DNC91,THF90
      Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
      Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
      WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
      Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
      All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
      Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
      Clothcraft 24
      Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
      BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Yes, 2 computers have a wireless connection.
        EDIT: I went to my other computer on which the internet connection wasnt working and the local area network wouldnt show up and it would not let me create a new one.. Im not that good with networks so I need some simple info if possible
        Last edited by StealthSoul; 10-04-2005, 01:17 PM.

PLD47, WAR29

Comment

The only way to create another one is to re-install your Network Card.

RIght Click "My Compter" > Properties > Hardware > Device Managaer > Double-Click Network Adapters > RIght Click on your network card > Un-install > Restart PC > Check to see if you have a network connections.

Only do that if you have Windows XP. Otherwise it wont re-install without haveing the installation disc.

Hope that helps.

Medalink

Comment

Well Since this is still on the first page, I thought why not just post in this instead of make a new thread.

Well I'll explain my problem better:
            (Im still having that problem ;'( )
            I have a linksys router. I have set it up and made it so it obtains ip automatically and all that crap. Everything on the computer im using atm is fine. The only problem is, I have no clue what to do with my other PC. Ive done everything possible on this one and Im not sure what to do on my other one. I havent set up a wireless network before but my brother has and he has just forgotten and he doesnt remember anything.. lol. If i cant get any help i have to get some technician dude to come fix it xD Please help me out!

Stealth.

PLD47, WAR29

Comment

Working...
            X