• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFXI sequel (Edit: NOT) in the works

Final Fantasy XI in Development
    Square Enix plans release for PS3, Xbox 360 and Vista
    by Anoop Gantayat
    July 17, 2006 - Japan's Nikkei Net news service reports today that Square Enix is currently at work on a sequel to Final Fantasy XI. The next generation massively multiplayer online RPG is being developed for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows Vista formats. Further details are not provided.

Square Enix has previously shown trailers for a next generation MMORPG engine, without actually announcing a final product based around the engine. It's unclear if the FFXI sequel is going to be the game to use the new engine, or if Square Enix has another title in development.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/719/719204p1.html

Source 2: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154196.html

Here is a fast loading quicktime version of the possible engine they were talking about:
    http://media.xbox360.gamespy.com/med...605_qthigh.mov

EDIT - Official word from SE: http://www.square-enix.com/jp/compan...e_060718en.pdf

It seems that SE is ruling out that it is a FFXI sequal, but if its anything like the demo shown during E3 2005 it should'nt disappoint FF fans and could be seen a 'new' FFXI. SE stresses they will continue support for FFXI. Thanks to Yoko for the update.
    Last edited by Chrono21; 07-18-2006, 06:30 AM.

Re: FFXI sequal in the works

let the frothing commence!

probably related to the one reported here: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/new...rpg.works.html

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

/froth
      The Knight of Faith resigns the dream, only to believe it.

Many tanks to Trita/Tagi for the signature.

Comment

Ah, the timer for the end of FFXI for me finally begins to tick

Comment

Well, I'm kind of excited. It'll be interesting to see what SE does their second time around in the MMO arena. FFXI was their first foray into this, and I think they've definitely experienced some growing pains. Should be cool to see what develops.

Comment

It seems like their choice of platforms shouldn't hinder them like the PS2. The Xbox360's HDD is 40gigs if I remember correctly, and the PS3's should rival that. Graphics should be acceptable on all consoles even with room for improvement if they find the time.

Comment

I think I just felt a hint of existential anguish.

What am I doing?! I've had this game for two years and my highest level is 42. I have yet to experience CoP or Zilart missions, Sky or Sea, HNMs or Dynamis!

And soon, it will all be obsolete!

Why am I not playing now!? My mortality is apparent and the end is nigh! Repent, repent!

/panic
              The Knight of Faith resigns the dream, only to believe it.

Many tanks to Trita/Tagi for the signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Shopee
                I think I just felt a hint of existential anguish.

What am I doing?! I've had this game for two years and my highest level is 42. I have yet to experience CoP or Zilart missions, Sky or Sea, HNMs or Dynamis!

And soon, it will all be obsolete!

Why am I not playing now!? My mortality is apparent and the end is nigh! Repent, repent!

/panic
                Hee. I had the same sort of moment.

Comment

Finally they announce it

Finally we confirm those pics were infact in the same theme as FFXI

!_!
                  signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Wow, can't wait for it to come out.

Comment

Nobody has mentioned an ETA huh?

Seems like maybe SE doesn't care so much to stop the cheating RMT when they can squeeze a few more dollars out of them before they release something that could possibly be more RMT resistant.

Comment

Can anyone post links to the "trailers for a next generation MMORPG engine" mentioned?
                        Everyday is without surprises.... !?

Comment

Originally posted by ImpactionActionHero
                          Nobody has mentioned an ETA huh?

Seems like maybe SE doesn't care so much to stop the cheating RMT when they can squeeze a few more dollars out of them before they release something that could possibly be more RMT resistant.
                          Another one, I;'m still waiting for Dirge of Cerberous and FFXII to be released here in the uk.

Comment

Originally posted by ImpactionActionHero
                            It seems like their choice of platforms shouldn't hinder them like the PS2. The Xbox360's HDD is 40gigs if I remember correctly, and the PS3's should rival that. Graphics should be acceptable on all consoles even with room for improvement if they find the time.
                            HDD space on the PS2 doesn't limit anything, and 2-3 years into this new MMO's life cycle, everyone will be complaining that the 360 is holding it back and support for it should just be dropped.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

This depresses me. I just this week, finally, got 2 of my friends on this game. I've been playing off and on for 2 years, and haven't done a fraction of what's already here.

Now everybody will leave to play the new one. I went through enough trouble to get everything for this game. I'm not shelling out more for a sequal to a game that 'never ends.'

I guess when they finally release the new one, I'll just chunk my old one and get on with my life.

/sigh

Comment

Working...
                              X