Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RUMOUR: FINAL FANTASY XI coming to PLAYSTATION 3 System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RUMOUR: FINAL FANTASY XI coming to PLAYSTATION 3 System?

EDIT: Most sites seem to have pulled their stories on the subject, some claiming it to be a translation error. I apologize for not having read the article myself before posting, so until we get any confirmation from SE, we should definitely consider this a rumour.

No, it's not April Fool's Day. And yes, it is pretty damn late. In an interview with Dengeki PlayStation, FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII director Tetsuya Nomura confirms that FINAL FANTASY XI will appear on the PLAYSTATION 3 platform. No specific timeframe is given but he does say that it will happen "soon."

More info will come...uhh..."soon," I guess. Wait for E3? We'll probably get bombarded with info on this and the next add-on pack, as the FFXI team is always at E3 in full force.
    Last edited by Pai Pai Master; 05-27-2009, 09:49 AM.
    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
    Currently Playing:
    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

re: RUMOUR: FINAL FANTASY XI coming to PLAYSTATION 3 System?

only a couple years late squeenix.

Kinda surprised they didn't go for the Wii, though.

Comment

Soon enough...all platforms will be assimilated by FFXI!

Not that it'd ever work out, but Remote Play for FFXI would be badass.
      PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
      Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
      WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
      Currently Playing:
      FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Gotta love it! Gotta freaking love it! Bwahahahahaha.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Wow talk about timing I just bought myself the wireless keypad for my PS3 controller yesterday. It's about time, trophies & no more tabbing on Pc! Question is... when?

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master View Post
          Not that it'd ever work out, but Remote Play for FFXI would be badass.
          I wonder how that will work on a small screen? I though playing by 800 x 600 was bad enough for me.

Comment

By the way, 100% of the people I've asked have said they will be skipping the next "add-on" I wonder what is SE going to throw at players this time to convince them to buy the new one.
            sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master View Post
              Soon enough...all platforms will be assimilated by FFXI!
              Wouldn't be that hard. About the only thing I can think of is that they'd have to have it load from a disk instead of from storage-- and because of that, they'd have to fit any future expansions onto a DVD.

I mean, it's TECHNICALLY possible to have Wii games load from an external hard drive, but I don't think that's really needed for FFXI at this point. Also, doesn't the PS2 version use lower resolution textures anyway, to take up less space? Macros would be stored in your save file, pictures would be posted to the message board. You don't need friend codes if you don't use Nintendo's servers, apparently. Wii controls would probably be slightly better than PS2 controls, but honestly everyone's going to get a USB keyboard anyway.

Comment

Neat.

I don't have any reason to play it on my PS3, but it's about time they did this.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                  only a couple years late squeenix.
                  Actually, its not SE's fault. There was a guy that did the emulation support for the PS2 version for PS3 on the Sony side. Then Sony got the bright idea to remove PS2 backward compatibility. Then this guy who did the emulation quit. So Sony has now left SE high and dry on FFXI three times if you wish to count them backing out on the PS2 HDD after promising it would heal the sick and make the lame walk.

And FF fanbots wonder why SE won't stay "loyal" to Sony.

Looks like the emulation support is back in, so a PS3 version can now be made.

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong. Sony are total asstards in the way they treat SE and FF. It's like they don't realize that this shit sells consoles. I mean, it's like SE is a child that Nintendo had to give over because they couldn't provide for it, and Sony uses that as an excuse to beat them. But it's not like SE couldn't have properly ported it earlier, instead of going for emulation. Or just totally abandoned Sony, they're really asking for it.

Comment

OK, full stop.

When PS3 came out, it was backward compatible. Meaning, PS2 discs could run on it. Meaning, there was no tangible benefit to coding it to Blu-Ray discs when DVDs would still suffice. Not to mention SE refuses to reversion code if they don't have to and there was no incentive to do so at the time when PS3 wasn't selling at all.

Way back when FFXIII was announced, SE stated it was the only game they were willing to commit to PS3 until sales improved. Sales have modestly improved and 360 had a better established userbase at the time, PS3 was a distant third.

Still is, really, but not so bad as in the past. The RPG horizon on it has started to look promising.

There's lots of things various companies could do, but there needs to be an incentive. Atlus could localize the original Shin Megami Tensei for Virtual Console on Wii. Its out on VC in Japan. But the simple fact is that they will not do this, because localizing it for the west will not give them the easy returns it did in Japan. The cost to localize it would be pretty big and while it may eventually turn a profit in the west, God only knows when it would.

Comment

I wonder why it was the director of vs XIII that confirmed it and not someone on the XI team?

Wiki credits him with character design on XI (though later doesn't list XI under his credited works) but still, seems to me to be an odd person to let confirm details about XI's ongoing production.

Originally posted by Raydeus
                        I wonder what is SE going to throw at players this time to convince them to buy the new one.
                        They'll release it.
                        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                          I wonder why it was the director of vs XIII that confirmed it and not someone on the XI team?

Wiki credits him with character design on XI (though later doesn't list XI under his credited works) but still, seems to me to be an odd person to let confirm details about XI's ongoing production.

They'll release it.
                          I guess that since the FFXIII team has been working on PS3 platform, it is possible for S-E t to assign the FFXIII team to in charge with the porting of FFXI to PS3, assuming FFXIII team has better understanding on the PS3 platform.

I guess after FFXIII project on PS3 is finish, the next project/game for those PS3 developers is porting FFXI to PS3, instead on making a new game.
                          Server: Quetzalcoatl
                          Race: Hume Rank 7
                          75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

I say this is just SE's attempt at getting the PlayOnline platform on the PS3 so they can gear up for Rapture's release, making the transition as smooth as possible. Putting Final Fantasy XI on the system is one of those stepping stones because the project is attached to PO.

Also pretty much confirms that we will be seeing PS2 games on the PS3.
                            RNG 60 | WAR 49 | NIN 29 | THF 21 | MNK 17

My Final Fantasy XI Character

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                              They'll release it.
                              I'm not so sure this time, it's like 1/100 of the content for 1/3 of the price of an expansion, with no new areas, a half baked storyline and only a situationally useful augmentable piece of gear that doesn't really change a thing as it's reward.

So, unless they do something reaaaally amazing there's no chance in hell I'll get the new one anytime soon. And from the opinions I've heard it seems I'm not the only one thinking that way.
                              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                              X