Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handling Misconduct (Jan. 22) aka Ban hammer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Handling Misconduct (Jan. 22) aka Ban hammer!

Originally posted by EternalMalachi View Post
    Wow, now I'm curious. A buddy of mine is an endgamer on Valefor, but I can't get to BG due to work security. I'll have to ask him tomorrow if he got banned. I hope not. ^.^
    Who is it?

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Just peeked my head over in the Titan KI forum, which is protected Karasu territory thanks to resident troll-mod and former Karasu member Dr. Ifto, who would delete anything someone said against them. Any other drama gets locked about after fifteen pages, but if Karasu or a former member is a target? Oh, that's an immediate lock.

Map posted his "obituary" there, and traditional Titan endgame asskissing ensued. Even in the end, they choose to live in denial of the truth. I spent my time in Titan endgame long enough to know what's what and with the possible exception of Xerlic, the rest banned got what they deserved. I wasn't even surprised at the names when they came up.

I was really surprised at how low the Odin tally was. Maybe I don't give Odin enough credit, but then, some of the top HNMLSes here actually play so nice with each other. I've seen plenty of Odin drama, but it seems like everyone forgets it so quickly, too. Kinda like two dudes that get drunk and get into a fight, then five minutes later they're buddies again and playing pool.

Edit: The list was updated on Titan, a lot that were originally flagged as temp are permabanned. Titan got its shit cleaned and apparently, so did Carbuncle and Asura BIGTIME.
      Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 01-24-2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I am quite happy SE did this. I knew about the exploit but due to my complete lack of wanting to do any endgame ToAU related (mainly due to the ZNM slap in the face) material I never had the opportunity to (although morrigans robe would look good in my Melee build.) Anyhow I never reported it so maybe I am as bad as others, although it reminds me of something that happened to me once.

One time a few of my buddies an I were out on a cruise and the driver (not me) got a speeding ticket. He had the gall to ask us to help pay because we were all in the car (not saying hey guys help me out on this a bit and ill get ya back sometime). We argued that we didn't push the pedal down, you get what you earn.

Im glad these people are gone, many of these are the ones who have been clogging and poisoning our endgame scene for a long time. Others have put in efforts to teach us all how the game functions, and they will be missed but you get what you earn.

To the ones who say that endgame is doomed and will fail because of all the "noobs" left behind by the ban. You are all idiots. There is a whole new generation of leaders, the ones who are now in there 2nd and 3rd years to take up the torch. If exploiting something make you elite then Im glad I am not. Im glad to have my AH gear and minimal RA/EX gears. I am glad to have my 25K, because I can use it.

Now get a life or go plow wow, or better yet you can buy my account.

To everyone who got off, I hope Karma catches you as well.

sig courtesy tgm
        retired -08

Comment

Those people saying endgame is dead are idiots. I'm in one of the top 5 linkshells (okay before all the bannings, now maybe top 3 since some of them prolly broke!) across all servers, perhaps one of the most well-known/notorious depending how you want to look at it, and we've got only two members that are temp banned. Our linkshell is far from dead. In fact, Hades endgame is remarkably intact. Two of the shells on Hades that got hit hard were Dynamis/Limbus linkshells, both of which I used to be a member of before I joined Excellence. (lol)

We may not have all the pioneers as far as testing and such, but we have plenty of experienced endgamers still standing around here. In fact, little has changed around here. We're taking some new apps (from people whose linkshells got broked) but that's about all.
          sigpic
          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

14 LSes with full leadership removed across all servers.

100 known relics can no longer be used because the people who had them were perma-banned.

Two of the known mythic holders - also gone.

Damn, yo. I hope a lesson was learned this week.

I also hope this means standards are raised for leaders within the community.

Comment

OMG the LM-17 thread over @ BG is 133 pages long with over 300,000 views...

and as if that weren't enough, there's other threads dedicated to bitching about it...

EDIT: Still no mention of anyone from Seraph though, unbelievable. I refuse to believe everyone on there is legit >_>

... or maybe I just want to see a few of the major asshats just get banned *cough*Tigue*cough*

EDIT 2: God damn, 100 ppl banned from Asura...
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I have a hunch an old friend (and endgame LS leader) of mine may have gotten hit with the banstick... or at least a 3-dayer. He's usually online 22 out of 24 hours a day and I haven't seen him on since this whole fiasco dropped.

Hate to see him go, but I really don't have sympathy for people getting banned from an online game for exploiting a glitch.

ps. the ppl that cry "it's SE's fault for coding errors" are so fucking lawl. SE could leave a glitch where an NPC hands you 300k gil and still ban your ass for using/exploiting it. Sorry, that's how a ToS works asshats.

edit: shit i wish more ppl got banzed. gtfo out... I'm trying to mine here dontchaknow?

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                ------
                Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

I knew about the exploit about a day before it got patched - everyone on BG was freaking the hell out over the mysterious maintenance taking place in Salvage/Nyzul zones, and enough hints were posted in the thread to put 2 and 2 together and see that it involved making an alliance and breaking it into 3 groups.

I have to admit my mind was pretty blown that an exploit that big actually existed and had been taken advantage of for so long. Part of me wanted to see for myself that it was true, but I didn't actually try. But I'm guessing it's a lot harder to be tempted by Nyzul drops than Einherjar drops. There's only 2 or 3 Askar pieces I actually liked, and even then they're not that big of an improvement over my current gear. It also would've meant being short on tags for my actual Nyzul group, and that's never cool.

What's interesting is that that was a couple of months back though. I think the bannings really blindsided everyone by happening so long after the patch.
                  Originally posted by TheGrandMom
                  I wouldn't have done it and simply because I'm not an equip whore. For as long as I've been playing, my jobs are equipped pretty shitty because I tend to not ask for stuff and I pass so others can have stuff.
                  I can actually attest to this. We had to talk her into lotting when we did Nyzul.
                  Last edited by Armando; 01-24-2009, 10:20 PM.

Comment

When I checked the list at home this morning there was only one person listed from Sylph, but no name. I'm curious, and a little worried. My one old LSmate I keep in touch with hasn't been on since the drop. -,-' Here is hoping its just school stuff keeping him away.

And my buddy from Valefor is Tenchu. He hasn't been on either, but he usually only pops in on Sunday for his LS events. I'll have to ask him if he or his LS got hit. I think his LS leader, who was the first 75dnc on their server, might have been on that list. -,-'

Comment

I don't see your friend's name on the banned list at BG, so looks like he's safe, or else just not been reported.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thats good. ^.^` Still no name for the person(s) on Sylph?

Comment

No names listed on Sylph.
                          sigpic

Comment

I think the timing of the ban is part of Sage Sundi's headgame. Bring them into a false sense of security and then BANSTICK at random - doing things that way is a rather strong means of discouraging a behavior.

SE doesn't just ban people, they tend to lean toward discouraging something first. Just look at how they designed their RMT countermeasures - they were designed to break RMT morale and reduce repeat offenders over time. Its worked - it just gets more and more discouraging for them.

They start a new account and SE finds them all over again. The more it happens, the more the offenses decline over time. Either they fall in line and play legitimately or they quit.

SE leaves an exploitable bug in the game for a long time, people figure it out and exploit it even though the ToS says its bad to do and to report bugs. People don't report it and just exploit it, it comes up in the logs.

SE eventually comes along and fixes it.

No bans.

Everyone who exploited it breathes a sigh of relief. If they were going to ban for it, they'd ban now, right? Totally.

Months pass and...

Good Cop/Bat-Cop routine.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDma7I-7ws8]YouTube - Joker Scene from The Dark Knight: The Good Cop Bad Cop Routine[/ame]

WHAM!

They're disoriented now, scrambling to rationalize themselves. Some try to take the high road even though they're in the wrong, some think its unfair because their shell broke or a community member lost face.

And they're supposed to be doing this. Positive reinforcement no longer worked, so in with negative reinforcement. They got their heads slammed on the desk when they want to be punched in the hand.

Comment

Well he did openly declare psychological warfare on the bastards.

Nice use of BMtDK to illustrate the point btw. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever be totally free of cheaters and RMT, but they must be getting pretty discouraged.

I mean, I've lost count of the different characters who have been spaming me this month with RMT website advertisements. They are really getting desperate. I think Sage Sundi takes a bit of pride and maybe even personal pleasure toying with people like those who were banned and waiting for the right moment to hit 'em where it hurts.

There's no way they went so long without noticing the glitch. The RNG nerf was one thing, but this was a serious flaw that so many people abused. I think you're right and that they waited for just the right moment, biding their time until they had all the evidence gathered and a false sense of security established to lure and snare as many cheaters as possible.
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                                I've lost count of the different characters who have been spaming me this month with RMT website advertisements.
                                That shit is getting annoying, yo. Having an A name means I get an assload of them, too.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X