Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handling Misconduct (Jan. 22) aka Ban hammer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Handling Misconduct (Jan. 22) aka Ban hammer!

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
    unknowingly
    SE pored over logs to make sure that they banned the few people who genuinely my have stumbled on the glitch or just happened to be in a party that was taking part in the duping.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
      Yes, but you are not the people we're talking about. BG in and of itself is not the problem, it just attracts the most elitist fuckwits because of its reputation for being a good endgame information resource.

Do I feel the slightest hint of sadness for people like Map, Merona or Blackhatchey? Absolutely not. We knew how what those guys were really about, everyone on Titan did - they got what was coming to them. Do I feel for Xerlic? A little, I have a feeling he was a bit more in the case of guilt by association. In fact, Xerlic owned up so much better and honestly than the others from Titan did that it gets him some respect.

Someone like Map telling the rest of us "you would of done the same" or "I feel vindicated/liberated" - shit, that just shows us how obsessed and hypocritical these people are. That is the fuckwittery BG is getting known for, moreso than it being a knowledge base.

But that's what happens when you have slack moderation, inmates end up running the asylum and everyone ends up getting painted with the same brush.
      Yeah that was essentially my point. Yes there are a lot of jerks in the group but there are a lot of good people overall as well. While there is some stupidity and elitism in the BG community there have been positive contributions as well. Don't get me wrong, everyone that knowingly did this deserves to be suspended or banned. I'm not going to clump Map together in the same category as Wafik, Kaeko or Tuufless just because they all did the same stupid thing.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I find myself tempted to play the devil's advocate. I find it hard not to be compassionate to someone who got banned, even if they WERE cheating.

It breaks my heart to see this happen. I haven't read the other forums you're referring to, I'm talking about cases like this:

Originally posted by Illuen View Post
          So, I found out this morning that someone who I really looked up to in the FFXI community was hit with the banhammer. I'm kinda shocked, because I never thought this person would be the type to do something so stupid as to dupe items. On one hand I want to just feel bad for them, and comfort them, but at the same time, I'm furious at them. This person had fantastic gear, and a great linkshell. They had (from my perspective) no reason to do something so stupid, and now their character is gone. I'm still firmly in the camp that the people who got banned got exactly what they deserved, but it does take a bit of the fun out of it to realize that even people you thought were trustworthy and good players you can't trust.
          And Kaede; nice players who people liked.

Before you get a "holier than thou" "I have no compassion for them because they were cheating" mindset, think of a time you have cheated/used an exploit/bought gil. Almost everyone who has played this game for an extended period of time has either cheated, or at the very least pushed the envelope at some point or another. If you are an exception to that rule, then congradulations for having more self control than I. I remember I used the "target glitch" to win at Golden Salvage quite a number of times. I would hate to be banned over that. Ye without sin cast the first stone.

I am in no way trying to defend item duping. I'm only trying to counter the coldhearted (though very natural) responces I hear.

At least there "only" seems to be about 500 people so far, and most of the bans are temp bans. I get the impression that SE is being careful only to permaban people who did it excessively and deliberately. I'm glad I didn't know about the glitch. People who know me like me, but I can't say I would have the self control not to use it at least once.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
          Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
          I live to entertain!

Comment

I know the list isn't complete so I'm curious, does anyone know of anyone on Fenrir that got banned?
            "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by aegina View Post
              I find myself tempted to play the devil's advocate. I find it hard not to be compassionate to someone who got banned, even if they WERE cheating.

It breaks my heart to see this happen. I haven't read the other forums you're referring to, I'm talking about cases like this:

Before you get a "holier than thou" "I have no compassion for them because they were cheating" mindset, think of a time you have cheated/used an exploit/bought gil. Almost everyone who has played this game for an extended period of time has either cheated, or at the very least pushed the envelope at some point or another. If you are an exception to that rule, then congradulations for having more self control than I. I remember I used the "target glitch" to win at Golden Salvage quite a number of times. I would hate to be banned over that. Ye without sin cast the first stone.

I am in no way trying to defend item duping. I'm only trying to counter the coldhearted (though very natural) responces I hear.

At least there "only" seems to be about 500 people so far, and most of the bans are temp bans. I get the impression that SE is being careful only to permaban people who did it excessively and deliberately. I'm glad I didn't know about the glitch. People who know me like me, but I can't say I would have the self control not to use it at least once.
              I think people are making a huge fuss over this because so many people who were boasting about their awesomeness over everyone else for knowing about a secret glitch, and when said glitch finally was made widely known, they again boasted that nothing would happen to them, and then this happens.

Maybe if they had kept quiet about it and maybe if they didnt come out so boldly as they did... and knowing SE does browse the FFXI related forums... WHO knows... the ban maybe would have never happened.

Atleast for me thats why its so delicious to see SE pull this off.
              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

oh this was great ^.^

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9knoJHmuy8[/ame]
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by aegina View Post

I understand where you are coming from regarding this, but also remember that the reason why some people are laughing at this (myself included) is because some major asshats, and also some VERY reputable people got slapped with the ban stick. All excuses aside, what they did was flat out wrong and there is no way for them to absolve themselves.

Look at it this way, say one day you go to the store, and you leave your keys in your unlocked car, some random thug notices, and makes off with your car. Was it your fault that your car was stolen? Sure it was, you made the mistake of leaving your keys in the car. But! Does that absolve the car thief of all blame for stealing the car? HELL NO! Stealing is wrong, no matter how you paint it. What these dupers did was cheat and take advantage of an error in programming. Yeah SE fucked up in not keeping track of their errors, but that doesnt mean that these idiots had to go and take advantage of it either.

So no, I as well feel no compassion for them, AT ALL.
                  Originally posted by Van Wilder
                  Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
                  Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
                  I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                    awesome lmao

Comment

Originally posted by hexx View Post
                      ...the reason why some people are laughing at this (myself included) is because some major asshats...
                      You're right. Even I feel no compassion for these morons. Karma's a bitch, ain't it?

Perhaps I should have worded my post clearer...
                      Originally posted by aegina
                      I'm talking about cases like this:

<snip>

What I meant was that I feel bad for the NICE players who got banned. I still don't know if I lost any friends over this yet.

Edit: Oh, and that is, by far, the awesomest vid I have ever seen by far.

Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
                      I live to entertain!

Comment

/cry cant see it while im at work waaaahhhhhhhh
                        Originally posted by Van Wilder
                        Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
                        Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
                        I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

@. @ no one really gives a damn about this guy do they ; ;

Also, today was the 1st I'd ever heard of Mini-dragon and WOW was this guy a cheater...

Botted and duped on his mules, had 999,999,999 gil,seven relics and all jobs @75 with capped merits.
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                            *watches it again*

I wish you could thak a person more than once!

I live to entertain!

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                              I mentioned Kaeko in a few posts. It's unfortunate. It's just a 17 message though so he'll probably be back next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                                Doesn't matter how knowledgeable you are, he now stands revealed for what he's done, whether he wanted to be or not, whether he was doing it himself or just guilty by association.

Its not like he wrote the book on any one job, he just had interesting data to share. For that, I'm sure people are greatful, but he still got mixed up in all this.

Also, today was the 1st I'd ever heard of Mini-dragon and WOW was this guy a cheater...

Botted and duped on his mules, had 999,999,999 gil,seven relics and all jobs @75 with capped merits.
                                And yet here you are ready to string this one up.

Are you saying we should feel lenient toward people who dupe just for what they add to the community?

Comment

Working...
                                X