Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handling Misconduct (Jan. 22) aka Ban hammer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Misconduct (Jan. 22) aka Ban hammer!

In November 2008, we discovered an issue that allowed players to create multiple items for certain treasures and rewards in areas such as Salvage and Assault by exploiting the game system.

The issue was fixed during emergency maintenance on November 26, 2008. However, we discovered that some players had already exploited the issue and used it to gain additional items before it was addressed. We then investigated more than a year's worth of logs throughout all areas.

As a result of the investigation, approximately 400 players were temporarily suspended based on the evidence gathered. Approximately 550 players who committed more serious misconduct had their accounts banned.

We are working hard to ensure that these kinds of issues do not occur again in FINAL FANTASY XI. However, if you discover any problems with the game system, please submit a GM call or fill out the feedback e-mail form to report the problems to us, instead of exploiting or spreading the issue.

We thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site
    sigpic
    Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Re: Handling Misconduct (Jan. 22) aka Ban hammer!

Laughing out fucking Loud

Justice has been served :-)
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

OOOOH SNap!

SE said:

"Your shit's weak!"

"Ya'lls shit is weak son!"

*Ahem*

Does anyone know how they were dupping items? Just curious. I've never done a salvage so it seems pretty impossible unless they were hacking the software itself.
      Last edited by ShepardG; 01-22-2009, 06:48 AM. Reason: Question

Comment

Don't know, don't care, don't has pity.

Comment

This was how they did it Shep.

1. make 3 parties and alliance in Salvage or w/e instanced battle.

2. Disband alliance prior to death of boss

3. 3 duplicate treasure pools for each party after boss death.

Its amazing how people find this crap out, but good thing its fixed!!

Comment

Holy shit balls...

I am on the fence on this one. Anyone on here get hit by the ban hammer? SE is a bunch of idiots for letting that shit happen, and people are dumbshit for doing it when it was clearly not what SE had intended.
            Why didn't people get banned for the wall glitch on AV? Or for Soloing Genbu? Or anything else that's questionable.

"Who would wanna be such a control freak?" - Modest Mouse
            *speaking about god, and if there is a god, who would wanna be such a control freak*

Answer: SE

But at the same time, I can go buy a xbox360 and then I can steal another one at the same time (baring getting caught) but I don't cause I know the consequences....

The more I think about this situation the more my brain hurts...Stupid SE, Stupid People, Stupid box full of smiley faces next to me typing this....

*NOTE*
            Out on a limb:
            I think SE is getting ready for their new MMO. Everquest people played EQII and half of them went right back to EQ after like 2 months. I'm sure similar situations have occured. Maybe their cracking down, banning folks, and giving them no option but to play another MMO. I dunno...what ever, as long as my Mog is there when I get back I guess I'm good

*NOTE2*
            !DING! This is how they fixed the logout exploit! TAKE THAT PANDY WARDY!
            Last edited by ShepardG; 01-22-2009, 07:45 AM. Reason: I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Comment

I think perma-band was a little harsh for a programming error on SE's part but they did know it was a glitch and took advantage of it. I would say a nice long suspension yes, but hey you break the rules accept the punishment w/e it is.

I think the last count of relic holders banned that I know of is 6.

Comment

....or they banned folks for exploting the game like they always do when people exploit the game.

Seriously, people found out about a glitch in the system, abused the hell out of it and SE caught wind of it and is taking care of business. How is SE wrong for doing that in any way shape or form?

Also, conspiracy theories are dumb. Always.

Edit: Also, those that were outright banned were most likely ones making a profit off of this. This wasn't just a Salvage trick, but a Sandworm BC and Nyzul trick as well (in all those instances, you didn't have to be in the same party to attack the same mob). So if people were making cash off of this then the Ban-hammer is understandable. What I really want to know is if those who were suspended will be able to keep their gear.
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I guess for SE its a different thing, being able to beat an enemy using exploits or getting drops using exploits.

Beating an enemy doesn't probably matter as much since the drops obtained are only a fragment of what they would be if it were duped. Also, it'd probably be immensely harder to find who used the wall trick or not. There's nothing much happening that would be logged on that situation.

And why do you think soloing Genbu is questionable?

People get banned for exploiting bugs all the time from many MMOs, this isn't new nor surprising and people who did it should've known better.

Comment

Oh look, an exploit

One wonders if the person who got his nifty new mythic weapon got banned or not?

Dunno if he or his shell used this exploit or not mind you, I'm just wondering.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Instead of banning said player, they should do a temporary suspension, check all of their inventories, storage, mog locker, etc and remove that item or whatever they received in drops. Instead of a permenant ban.

I think with the way that exploit was done, it could have been by mistake that they found out, and by mistake that it was used. However if these items are non-tradable they cannot hurt the economy. All these people have to do is go back and do more fights to earn it the correct way.

"Customer service is based on the customer, if you service yourself you're just masterbating."
                      Hacked on 9/9/09
                      FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Sometimes I am glad to not be at end game yet...

My guess is the suspensions were people that did it once, and the bans were people that did it multiple times.
                        FFXIV Balmung Server
                        Tenro Matashi
                        PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Originally posted by Omniblast View Post
                          I think with the way that exploit was done, it could have been by mistake that they found out, and by mistake that it was used.
                          Read the whole thing again.

"... we discovered that some players had already exploited the issue and used it to gain additional items before it was addressed. We then investigated more than a year's worth of logs throughout all areas.

As a result of the investigation, approximately 400 players were temporarily suspended based on the evidence gathered. Approximately 550 players who committed more serious misconduct had their accounts banned."

Bad behavior lead to more bad behavior being discovered. They banned people with a history of doing things they shouldn't.
                          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

It's interesting to see too that they keep over a year's worth of logs on hand to look through.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

SE is sneaky.

And we always thought they were lame for not coming clean with their shits.

Comment

Working...
                              X