Update Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update Details

Anyone catch the Elvaan RDM with the WHM-looking body piece?

:-/

Hmm...

Several new equipment items have been added.

There we go.
    Last edited by WishMaster3K; 06-09-2008, 10:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Zempten View Post
      Is it just me or did anyone else not read anything about the Nyzul Isle Weapons?
      There's an elvaan holding a new mace about halfway down just before the new crafting rings. "Several new pieces of equipment have been added". This could be the Nyzul relics, or it could be they just tossed us some new items. These new NMs have to drop something, I guess.

I kind of suspected Ixion might end up a HNM when I noticed that all the screenshots of him have him outdoors and make no attempt at showing a summoning circle under or near him. Diabolos was kind of easy to figure out as a potential avatar because his mission has the warding circle appear under him during all the cutscenes. I guess we'll have to wait for the next update for new avatars.

BTW, I'm still waiting to hear what zone the Dev Team spawns in, I got camping to do.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

WM3K: Given that they're holding a club, I'm far more inclined to think it's a WHM in RDM clothing than the other way around. It could be that SE just said "fuck it, we're not making two pictures of new shit" and used their 'equip whatever the hell you want' powers.

I do have to appreciate how limp wristed and lame that Elvaan mage looks like without a shield, either way.

Kitalrez: FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site Unless they look RADICALLY different in their earlier incarnations, no.

Comment

Actually maybe Ixion is going to be an avatar later on? I mean they added new terms in the auto-translator that looks like moves of an avatar . . .

Game Terms 2 Splitting Heirs
          Game Terms 2 Cracking Shells
          Game Terms 2 Plucking Wings
          Game Terms 2 By Light of Fire
          Game Terms 2 Prying Eyes

alright fine . . maybe it's just the moves he uses when you fight him hehe
          Those terms sound more like Campaign Ops to me. Are current Campaign Ops names in the auto-translator's dictionary?
          Lyonheart
          lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
          Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
          Fishing 60

Lakiskline
          Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
          Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
          Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
          Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Also I'm pretty sure SMN moves are under spells or such, not game terms.

And the only thing that sounds even remotely close to something a thunder avatar would use is "cracking"

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
              Maybe because I wasn't talking about what the avatars motivations are?

Hell, the plotline for the 6 originals is basically "They're sleeping. Some little taru asshole came along and they kicked the shit out of him so they could get back to sleeping."

SE has said their reasons for not adding those avatars (I remember this specifically for Baha and Alex, not Odin though) was that they were too powerful, and they felt they would have to limit them too much. Which doesn't really make sense, because the other avatars are significantly weakened as well when used by players (they could even just make it "It doesn't matter how powerful the avatar itself is, it's limited by the strength of who summons it" which makes total sense); but that's what they said.

EDIT: Oh, and the thing about having massive boss fights and being considered some of the hardest in the game also goes to Diabolos and Fenrir. At least, if you don't take the "throw a bunch of Astral Flow at it" route.
              Ok, but I said I don't remember SE saying Diabolos won't be a summon while giving an ingame reason for him to be one while giving in game reasons for the other three not to be one. So forgive me for trying to add to the reasoning why Diabolos is summonable while Alex, Odin and Baha aren't. And it does make sense for them to not want to limit Odin, Alex, and Baha both in game wise, graphic wise and balance wise, because they're incredibly important, incredibly large, incredibly strong beings in the FF universe.

And there's more to the 6 avatars then just "they're sleeping", though that is the basic story to get them, it does go a lot deeper then that.

And Diabolos and Fenrir are hard, but nothing compared to Bahamut and Odin and certainly a step down from Alexander.

Is it just me or did anyone else not read anything about the Nyzul Isle Weapons?
              I noticed that too, but then again they probably want us to find out that info on our own like we did with AF+1 and such. They already went into detail about the story of the weapons, all that's left is the what, where and how.

Originally posted by Sevv View Post
              Note:

First to say it and I LOLD when it was.
              http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/784905-post19.html

You're preaching to the choir :p
              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Diabolos and Fenrir are also huge. And so is EVERY OTHER PRIME AVATAR. Once again, SE's explanation doesn't make sense for ANY of them when you consider that player avatars have ALWAYS been significantly smaller and weaker than the Primes.

Also, I recommend you dictionary the term "basically".

And difficulty, no. Raw power? Yes, they're more powerful because they're made to be taken down by alliances of people. But that doesn't mean they're more challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                  Those terms sound more like Campaign Ops to me. Are current Campaign Ops names in the auto-translator's dictionary?
                  They are, but I bet these are the names of quests in the new NM system.
                  lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

It makes sense that Odin and Alexander are more powerful. If I recall, they're awakened avatars, which, once awake, spread chaos through Vana'diel.

You don't even actually fight the original six celestial gods; remember, they're still sleeping soundly in their crystals. The primes the player fights are projections of what's sleeping in that crystal, which could imply the projection we fight is still not the celestial god at full power. I imagine if we really were fighting them at full power(re: fully awakened), it'd be much like the Odin and Alexander fights.

In short, I agree with Feba that the devs' reasoning behind certain gods not yielding Blood Pacts is kind of bunk.

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K View Post
                      Anyone catch the Elvaan RDM with the WHM-looking body piece?
                      Originally posted by Kitalrez View Post
                      There's an elvaan holding a new mace about halfway down just before the new crafting rings. "Several new pieces of equipment have been added". This could be the Nyzul relics, or it could be they just tossed us some new items. These new NMs have to drop something, I guess.
                      WM3K: Given that they're holding a club, I'm far more inclined to think it's a WHM in RDM clothing than the other way around. It could be that SE just said "fuck it, we're not making two pictures of new shit" and used their 'equip whatever the hell you want' powers.
                      Kitalrez: FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site Unless they look RADICALLY different in their earlier incarnations, no.
                      SE is notoriously bad about throwing any gear on any job when they take pictures. Need we forget the images of people in AF doing the 30 cap Promies? The Smn who had a Scythe? etc etc

The only new model gear in that pic is the Mace itself, which does look very sweet. And as Feba pointed out, no, it's not the new Relic Mace.
                      "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Drat. I got happy at the prospects of new RDM gear.

And BP, have you done those fights with the Avatars you need Alliances for?

Holy Shit, Shiva raped us something vicious a few times before we finally got it right.

Now if THOSE aren't the full powered ones...
                        The Tao of Ren
                        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                        Originally posted by Kaeko
                        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Ziero, I'm pretty sure that was just COP, wasn't it? I always got the impression that they just hadn't finalized the content yet. I mean, there are some points where you go back into Promyvion after you've completed things that require a high level; it's perfectly possible that SE figured "Hey, maybe after you beat it you go in uncapped" or something.

Comment

Diabolos and Fenrir are also huge. And so is EVERY OTHER PRIME AVATAR. Once again, SE's explanation doesn't make sense for ANY of them when you consider that player avatars have ALWAYS been significantly smaller and weaker than the Primes.

Also, I recommend you dictionary the term "basically".

And difficulty, no. Raw power? Yes, they're more powerful because they're made to be taken down by alliances of people. But that doesn't mean they're more challenging.
                            Diabolos and Fenrir Prime and PUNY compared to Alex, Odin and especially Bahamut. And Bahamut(v1) and Alex are fought with 6 just like Diabolos and Fenrir and they're still harder fights.

And the story reasons COMBINED with the Dev's will are more then enough reasons for those three not to be Summons. Again, Diabolos, Fenrir, Carbuncle and the six elemental avatars wish to help mankind, even when you first fight Diabolos he's doing what he thinks will help. But Bahamut, Odin and Alexander are destructive gods unleashed to destroy.

Originally posted by BurningPanther View Post
                            It makes sense that Odin and Alexander are more powerful. If I recall, they're awakened avatars, which, once awake, spread chaos through Vana'diel.

You don't even actually fight the original six celestial gods; remember, they're still sleeping soundly in their crystals. The primes the player fights are projections of what's sleeping in that crystal, which could imply the projection we fight is still not the celestial god at full power. I imagine if we really were fighting them at full power(re: fully awakened), it'd be much like the Odin and Alexander fights.

In short, I agree with Feba that the devs' reasoning behind certain gods not yielding Blood Pacts is kind of bunk.
                            I thought there was an alliance battle where you could fight the awoken avatars?
                            Ziero, I'm pretty sure that was just COP, wasn't it? I always got the impression that they just hadn't finalized the content yet. I mean, there are some points where you go back into Promyvion after you've completed things that require a high level; it's perfectly possible that SE figured "Hey, maybe after you beat it you go in uncapped" or something.
                            Nah, they just love to mix and match gear. They go with what looks good, not what works per job. It's the same way with NPCs in game. Heck in the last notice about new gear they showed what looks like a new Sam JSE with a guy wearing a staff.
                            Last edited by Ziero; 06-09-2008, 11:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

woot, can update now

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                                and they're still harder fights.
                                What, exactly, setup are you talking about using on Fenrir and Diabolos that they're easier?

But Bahamut, Odin and Alexander are destructive gods unleashed to destroy.
                                Then have them be a double edged sword and hurt EVERYONE in the area; make them a "bring them out, they bash crap up, and then go away by themselves" summon like every previous FF.

It's the same way with NPCs in game.
                                "They do this with NPCs in game, so obviously when they're talking about things made for player characters outside of the game they'd do the exact same thing."?

Comment

Working...
                                X