Scholar!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholar!!

Idk how long ago but i think it was pretty recently, they just announced Scolar on the WoTG website! go check it out

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/altana/index.html
    During the Crystal War, these military tacticians often served as high-ranking officers in allied forces across Vana'diel. Extensive knowledge of ancient martial heory[sic] granted them the ability to wield dual schools of magic, between which they would alternate depending on the situation at hand.
    Last edited by neighbortaru; 11-03-2007, 04:33 AM. Reason: added text from site

Re: Scholar!!

Well this is rather interesting. I wasn't expecting Scholar. This job definetly seems to be in the lines of Windurst. I really hope San d'Oria gets Mystic Knight as its new job. C'mon Mystic Knight!

Originally posted by FFXI's view on other MMORPGs
    'Start learning boy, no you don't get a tutorial, this is man's country! Tutorial's are for little sissy babies who need their mommies! Now, are you a sissy baby or a man?"
    Dymlos
    Bahamut server
    Lv 75 Ranger Lv 75 Samurai

Comment

wow out of all the classes........ I never though about Scholar -.- but thats cool, the AF is very intelligent looking.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This just makes my day. NO TIME MAGE FOR YOU!
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

lol I knew it XD

came to this conclusion when going over all the old FF jobs, does suck for me as a COr, but we may ... MAY see haste roll... still...

reads:

wow they seem right up ym ally as a mage classs! I may have finally found a mage worth leveling!

Kinda like a RDM meets geomancer from their explanation.

but i swear they typo'd theory
          Last edited by Kuro; 11-03-2007, 06:28 AM.

Comment

...the ability to wield dual schools of magic, between which they would alternate depending on the situation at hand.
            Sorry, RDMs.

So RDMs are supposed to be able to do white and black magic, as well as be adequate melee... but their melee is perceived as solo only so... they're just dual class mages with Refresh. This "RDMs were never meant to melee anyway" logic is what made BLU permissible as a job... they can do lots and lots of magic but they need to be in the melee and have melee stats to pull it off well. Ok, that's cool... but then Scholar will be doing the "I'm everything-mage without melee" role. K.

Not to say that this is how it will be. Indeed, I don't think the sky hath fallen for RDM yet (I'll give them about 3 more hours 'til they start panicking). But I do think the observation humorous.

Scholar gonna be something like the "Mage 'Maton" of all the different magic classes in the game? And they can "equip" any 2 of them at a time, much like BLUs setting spells? So they could choose watered down, slowed growth versions of white, black, (maybe even red for more versatility?,) blue, summoning, singing, and ninjutsu magics? Basically, the closest we'll ever get to a Mime class?

Not wasting any more thought on it at this current juncture.

EDIT: Ok, I see the "between which" portion that indicates they'll just have 2 schools and will have some sort of mode for switching between them. Ehh, I like my idea more.
            "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

I'm unfamiliar with the "Scholar" job...was there any spells unique to this job in previous FF games, or is it like I'm reading where they just have access to other previously occuring magics simultaneously (in a watered down form, I'm sure)?

Also, what would one sub with Scholar? If they have access to both types of magic, would subbing another mage job be stupid? I'm working on WHM right now, and I'm just pondering how this job might fit in with that one (either subbed or with WHM subbed) or if it'd be a useless combination.

Just curious, as I'm not really into the Dancer job (based on it's descriptions, time will tell of course, but I'm not really into Bard and it seems similar) and I need something to be excited about as concerns the new expansion (additional endgame content means nothing to me as I'm nowhere near endgame, and the ToAU jobs didn't really blow my hair back).
              I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
              -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
              http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

Scholar (Hume) girls wear miniskirts, that's all I need to know.
                sigpic
                "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I never got familiar with Calculator in FFT. In fact, I'm working on unlocking it for the first time today in the PSP game.

But from what I've heard, they're pretty hardcore.

I can't wait to level it.

RDM has gotten awfully boring. I hope they can share SOME gear.
                  The Tao of Ren
                  FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                  Originally posted by Kaeko
                  As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Am I the only one who feels sucker punched by SE over this?

... gay. No honestly, of all the cool jobs they had to pick one of the crappiest, most niche jobs ever in FF3 (the job was mandatory for ONE boss fight early on.)
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I never got familiar with Calculator in FFT. In fact, I'm working on unlocking it for the first time today in the PSP game.

But from what I've heard, they're pretty hardcore.
                      Calculator is downright broken. Take, for example, CT 3 Flare. Hit anyone on the battlefield whose CT is divisible by 3 with Flare (which has a high MP cost, high casting time, and is a single-target spell) without casting time, or MP cost. Then extend that to 95% of the spells in the game that aren't Summoning Magic. But then again Calculators are slow as hell, so everyone just does Summoners with Calculate skill.
                      This just makes my day. NO TIME MAGE FOR YOU!
                      QFT.
                      I'm unfamiliar with the "Scholar" job...was there any spells unique to this job in previous FF games, or is it like I'm reading where they just have access to other previously occuring magics simultaneously (in a watered down form, I'm sure)?
                      In FFIIIDS (and probably the original FFIII as well), Scholars can only learn Lv.1 Black and White Magic. To give you an idea of how pathetic that is, there's 8 levels of magic for each kind, and a character can only learn 3 spells of each level (there's usually 4 per level.) That means they ran around with Fire, Cure, Lightning, basically.

Their redeeming qualities were the ability to Scan enemies for weaknesses and HP/MP, and that they doubled the effects of damaging and healing items. Scholar's main form of offense was thus dealing absurd amounts of damage with items that cast black magic spells, provided you could afford to waste so many items that often. They also made awesome ghetto healers with Potions.

Their weapons are books. Not that they did much of anything in the way of meleeing.

All that said, it's kinda hard to tell what Scholar will do, and how they'll do it, in FFXI. However, I'd expect them to be even more gimped in terms of spell selection than RDM, or only be able to access one kind of magic at a time. They'll probably have other traits to make them useful rather than just being some gimped White Mage/Black Mage thing. In FFIIIDS they could dispel anti-magic barriers bosses could put up just by Scanning them, so that may be some indication.

Comment

I uploaded the Scholar pictures.

Scholar Picture 1

Scholar Picure 2

Scholar Picture 3

Scholar Picture 4

Scholar Picture 5

Aaliyah is more than a woman and she graduated with a 4.0 GPA (she only had 1 "C" grade ever in her life).

I bolded and underlined the "is" just for you, Malacite.

Comment

Originally posted by Effedup View Post
                          Also, what would one sub with Scholar?
                          Ninja.

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                          Scholar (Hume) girls wear miniskirts, that's all I need to know.
                          Winner.
                          "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Scholars sounds like it's going to be using consumables like the cards for COR or the ninja tools for NIN.

Comment

"The magic which gives" the magic the powerful slip damage which "changes the weather of the party member of the object" Changes the weather as for the magic which was seen the eye which changes is not the case that, but the actual weather how that, due to this magic the weather takes precedence. Not only on-target hit ratio and the damage of magic, are not moved also it is possible with only the weather of specification to move the effect of the arms which.
                              This sounds like Scholars will also have Geomancer type abilities or their abilities is based around weather. Could this also be SE's answer for the demand for GEO?

Originally posted by FFXI's view on other MMORPGs
                              'Start learning boy, no you don't get a tutorial, this is man's country! Tutorial's are for little sissy babies who need their mommies! Now, are you a sissy baby or a man?"
                              Dymlos
                              Bahamut server
                              Lv 75 Ranger Lv 75 Samurai

Comment

Working...
                              X