Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chains of Promathia Battlefield Adjustments (05/18/2007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chains of Promathia Battlefield Adjustments (05/18/2007)

I just want to point something out. Seems as though people are looking at the complaints and assuming that the only people against this are those who have completed CoP and are having an anxiety attack from the thought of others not putting in as much work as they did.

Well I haven't completed CoP and I'm wary about this. I'm reserving Final Judgment for when the changes are actually implemented, but I'm more than sure that there is a sizable number of people who aren't keen on having the thing watered down before they get a chance to do it.

I had a lot of other stuff to say but I just deleted because there's no point in it. Younger and fresher players are coming in with generic ADD who've been weened on WoW for 14/15 years of their life. They don't have the same mentality as the older players. I don't care about the "prestige" of being 75 or of having Sea or Sky. Difficult, dangerous things are fun and exciting. I want to experience overcoming an impossible task with my friends. I'm not saying that the sky is falling right now or anything or that this update will suck because I haven't seen it yet. I just wish some of you would try to understand where some of us are coming from, and why we have these reservations and worries about the way things seem to be going.
    My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
    Originally posted by Balfree
    Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

I agree with OMGWTF, Lets turn this game more into WoW.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

The only part I have serious issues with is the change on difficulty, the rest of the changes are good to encourage players to help others finish CoP.

But still, making fights easier is really really dumb if you ask me.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I'm with Nanatsu and Raydeus. I don't care about the prestige or inclusiveness or whatever that comes with having Sea access. But I'm barely starting CoP, and I had this idea in my mind that CoP was challenging. This change probably won't be too big as far as the toning down of the difficulty goes, but seriously, it's not necessary.

Making missions more accessible, cool, that's great. Taking the Rare/Ex out of some items is actually a good and convenient idea. But if you tell me "Oh, we're also going to make some missions easier" then all I have to say is "... =/"

Comment

Originally posted by little ninja View Post
            I agree with OMGWTF, Lets turn this game more into WoW.
            You're only being the epitome of the overraction.

Comment

I'm really torn about this update- on the one hand, things will be so much easier. I've been trapped on Ultima/Omega BC for an eternity after my perma replaced me. On the other, it seems like all that suffering we endured to make it through those god awful missions is now moot.
              MisterCookie: Alla refugee since May 2006

MisterCookie: Writing poor signatures since January 1999

http://www.songbirdnest.com - OSS Media Player

Comment

I can't even argue with OMGWTF because she's not making a lick of sense to me!

Jei was banned for typing JP characters on a NA client I believe. A very stupid reason to get banned over.
                Read my blog.
                ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

Looks like I'm zerging the last few missions in the next week. Difficult, yes, but not impossible. I'll be damned if I'm going to have to do the easy route.

As for everything else about this and the previous update removing xp loss, I like all that. Getting people who are already done to help out w/o fear of crap hitting the fan is nice.
                  I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Omg StarvingArtist where have you been?

Ps cool update :O

fk yes

Comment

Who cares if people get Sea faster?

The problem is SE is going to stop making fun and challenging fights because some players find them too hard. Even if gil sellers can pass these fights, people will cry instead of actually trying to play the game. Seriously, how pathetic is that... some people can't even play better than gil sellers. Not even talking about the Super-breed Asura server ones, as the ones on my server still wipe to Serket and have sea.

The problem is... those missions weren't too tough and yet SE is fixing what wasn't broken. ToAU has only been a joke so far and if the next "epic" expansion is suppose to be a joke too, that's a damn shame. Con-fucking-grats on taking the Final Fantasy out of FFXI.
                      Read my blog.
                      ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                      Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                      Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

Originally posted by StarvingArtist
                        Rank 6 + title of Shadow Banisher
                        complete AF armor set
                        title of Serket Breaker, Roc Star, Behemoth's Bane
                        access to Tu'Lia, Kirin Captivator

At one point, these and many other aspects of the game were once considered to be great marks of achievements. Today, they are marginalized and can be done far faster and easier than when first introduced.

Should these things remain exclusive to only the top tier of players or those that were here from the beginning? Does a new player joining today have to go through all aspects of the game with the same level of difficulty as those who started years ago? Is it unfair that they would have access to information and resources that were not available then?

By that reasoning, is it fair/right that any of us had higher level help on anything such as the subjob quest or even making it to Jeuno for the first time? Is completing the RoZ missions by joining a manaburn Divine Might vs fighting each one separately (either will complete the mission) more or less valid than the other?

Personally, I'm hopeful that it will at least motivate my friends who haven't completed CoP to resume the missions. Stupid/crappy players aren't going to get to Sea any faster, much like the uproar when the exp needed to level up were adjusted post lv50.
                        See, this is the whole ugly side of the debate no one else is really wanting to be upfront and admit.

This isn't about challenge at all, really, its about status and that's just sad. People don't want to say its about status, yet they wouldn't toss out words like "casual" or namedrop WoW if it wasn't about status, prestige and distinction.

Its a f---ing online video game, people, you're the same loser you were before you logged on. Your boss won't care about your complete AFv2, sea access or your mercenary rank. I can respect people as players, but c'mon, if you're about titles and prestige in an online game and care how that looks to your online peers, you're beyond hope.

Your sense of accomplishment isn't being taken away, you still beat it while it was hard. WTF do you care if somone else gets it a little easier 1-2 years after? Its a f---ing online video game, a virtual amusement park. The servers are gonna go down someday, so I think its a smart business decision to scale up the accessablity of older content as newer challenges in expansions and new endgame content turn up. Every other MMORPG - past and present - does this.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                          See, this is the whole ugly side of the debate no one else is really wanting to be upfront and admit.
                          This isn't about challenge at all, really, its about status and that's just sad. People don't want to say its about status, yet they wouldn't toss out words like "casual" or namedrop WoW if it wasn't about status, prestige and distinction.
                          Its a f---ing online video game, people, you're the same loser you were before you logged on. Your boss won't care about your complete AFv2, sea access or your mercenary rank. I can respect people as players, but c'mon, if you're about titles and prestige in an online game and care how that looks to your online peers, you're beyond hope.
                          Your sense of accomplishment isn't being taken away, you still beat it while it was hard. WTF do you care if somone else gets it a little easier 1-2 years after? Its a f---ing online video game, a virtual amusement park. The servers are gonna go down someday, so I think its a smart business decision to scale up the accessablity of older content as newer challenges in expansions and new endgame content turn up. Every other MMORPG - past and present - does this.
                          A bit off-topic, but I was having a discussion with friends about things buying gil to be have h4x gear, (I said "why spend $80 to get a PCC, when you can do the bcnm/camp it" etc stuff like that) and about doing good shit in ffxi (examples like what kitten said-stuff like getting your Rajas ring and junk) and no matter what cool/good/bad thing that happens to you - you still spent your whole goddamn day playing a fucking video game. It's a fun video game, and I'm totally willing to shell out money monthly to play it, and lots of cool crap has happened to me and like that's great don't get me wrong, but in the end the time would be better spent playing my guitar or studying. =/

fk yes

Comment

Well, it's not about status to those of us who are saying "It's not about status." The issue that I personally have is that I feel that any one of these changes would have been more than enough. All three (again, to me) seems like too much.

Removing the EX on items. Cool. Not that farming them was hard, but hey, if you're in a rush, and you want to pay someone else for something you can farm, that's certainly your perogative. We do it for enough things in the game already, so what's a few more?

Removing exp loss from the missions. Cool. This was one of the largest impediments to getting people who have already done the missions to do them with you again. A pretty useful change IMO.

Lowering difficulty. Why? Who was asking for this? People who want the illusory "prestige" of having done something, but without any of the work?

It's like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. Effective, but definitely overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                              It's like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. Effective, but definitely overkill.
                              lol. Have to agree with this; the item changes are nice, exp changes are OK, but nerfing the Promyvions again really is overkill.

Still, we'll have to see how much nerfing S-E will implement. I'd die laughing if the Empty's zone is ... empty.

To all the people who are about riot: chill.

It's making a relatively small part of the game easier--a part of the game which most of you seem to have passed anyway, so won't affect you much unless you are helping out friends. In that case, it's a little exp reward for coming back to assist people on a slightly easier version of the missions you finished--not exactly the most horrible thing that could've happened.

Peace. ^_^v
                              Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                              yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                              Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                              leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I guess we'll have to wait to see how toned down the difficulty is, but this sounds hella stupid.

I mean, I do want to get through CoP as fast as possible, but I was looking forward to some of the challenges.

I'm kind of surprised they mentioned Tenzen (I've heard it's not too difficult compared to earlier missions), but not 2-5.

Comment

Working...
                                X