Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chocobo Raising & Racing: Q/A PART2 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocobo Raising & Racing: Q/A PART2 (Continued)

Another Update News Regarding the Chocobo Raising! (Continued from previous news)

------------------------------

Hello FFXIOnline.com: Dreams in Vana'diel community members! This is Snakeeye. I’m in charge of development for both Chocobo Raising and Chocobo Racing.

Last time, we discussed the outline of Chocobo Racing and the things we can and cannot do. Because of that, there were a few subjects that players talked about intensively after the last Q&A.
    So, I picked the hottest questions from each region to give you an in-depth look at the development process.

From Japanese players:
    It would be great if you could build a system which allows us to participate in races even after we log out. That way, if our Internet connection is disconnected or we can’t register in a race because of long wait times, we would still be able to participate.
    From Snakeeye:
    I think we will be able to take measures regarding accidental disconnections. However, it is difficult to save long-term data, race performances, and results with current memory limitations. We are discussing the issue now. Of course we’ll keep investigating this issue, but to be honest, it will be very difficult.

From North American players:
    Is there anyway we can control our chocobos? We understand there is an Internet connection speed issue, but we still think it’ll be a lot more fun if we can control our chocobos.
    From Snakeeye:
    I mentioned this in the last Q&A, but the main reason why we decided to introduce auto-control was to make Chocobo Racing fair to all players. How would you feel if you prepared everything correctly but because of a lag problem, or because your Internet connection was slower than another racers, your chocobo lost the race? Whatever the cause, the reason you lost the race should be clear and you should be able to fix the problem in order to win the next race.
    Someone mentioned the fact that hunting NMs isn’t built for this type of fairness. In FINAL FANTASY XI, there are systems over four years old that are still in use today. As we provide new features, we create new systems like trading items to pop NMs and instanced areas like Assault. We feel we should introduce the best race system without using the original design ideals.
    I agree that it would be fun to control your own chocobo and let them run the way you want. Unfortunately, that type of system doesn’t work within FINAL FANTASY XI.

From European players:
    Regarding race times, it sounds fun that there are both scheduled races and non-scheduled races. However, I’m concerned about event schedules. Usually in-game events are scheduled when it is difficult for European players to participate.
    From Snakeeye:
    We are thinking about making scheduled races occur during fixed time periods. For example, one race opens each real life hour. This way, there would be more chances to participate no matter where you are. To tell you the truth, we haven’t decided what we are going to do yet, but we’ll be sure to take carel when deciding race schedules.

I received so many questions last time that I couldn’t answer many of them. I’d like to discuss a few of these below.

Riders
    Q: Give the riders strengths and weaknesses or specific features. It would be great if we could choose the rider freely.
    A: This is a good idea. I’ll try my best to introduce it.

Q: I would like to see famous NPCs, my exclusive Fellowship NPC or Moogle be my rider.
    A: Interesting. However, not all NPCs will be able to ride chocobos.

Q: How about if there was affinity between adult chocobos and riders, and if there is harmony, your chocobo stats reach near maximum for the race?
    A: This might be an interesting requirement.

Watching Races
    Q: It would be great if we can have a giant screen to watch the races.
    A: We can think of many different ways to show or process the races, but mainly we want to make sure players that have the right to watch the race are able to watch. That’s what we are thinking about right now. Even if you don’t register your chocobo in the race, you should be able to watch as long as you have the right.

Q: I want to see interesting play-by-play commentary.
    A: I…I’ll try my best!

Q: How about introducing a photo finish?
    A: Unfortunately, we don’t have technology that allows us to take pictures instantly in Vana’diel. Even Balakaf’s “image recorder” in Aht Urhgan takes blurred images! Instead, there will be useful magic developed in Windurst which will be able to take photo finishes.

Q: I want to have cool acrobatic motions with flashy effects!
    A: I’ll try my best to make it happen.

Q: Can I enter the race circuit to watch the races?
    A: I would love to make it happen.

Systems
    Q: I’d like to have records for each course and ranking systems implemented.
    A: Yes, we definitely need to create ranking systems.

Q: It might be great if we have a few different songs in each course or race. Also, I really want a chocobo race exclusive “fanfare.”
    A: If we create many different kinds of races, we would love to feature different songs for each one of them. I also really want a fanfare!

Q: How about a Chocobo Racing-exclusive chat function which players are able to communicate with across all regions or be able to organize Chocobo Racing-exclusive teams?
    A: Those are good ideas, but it’s difficult to build an additional chat system, so please use linkshells for communicating with fellow Chocobo Racers.

Q: I heard there will be lineages/pedigree. That’ll be great if we can see our chocobo’s certificates of pedigree. This will add more elements to consider when we are breeding our chocobos. Also, can we find out if another player owns my chocobo’s descendents?
    A: This idea is almost possible, but also a really difficult issue. We record information about a chocobo’s lineage, however we don’t (it’s more like we “can’t”) record which lineage came from which chocobo. Unfortunately, we can’t maintain enough space to record all that information.

Q: Please make it possible to have cross-world races!
    A: I’m sure the Community department staff will think about these types of events, much like Ballista Royale.

Q: Some players are worried that races may be cancelled because there weren’t enough participants. Is there any plan to avoid situations like that?
    A: Yes, there is. If there aren’t enough people to run in the race, we’ll add NPCs to compete against, instead of real players.

Awards
    Q: How about giving strong chocobos titles, medals, trophies, gil, or chocobo raising-related items depending on what place they finish in the race?
    A: Nice idea! I’ll see what I can come up with.

Q: Popular Rare/Ex equipment could cause people who just want items to act without regard for others. Could you provide something of value while avoiding these items?
    A: Awarding equipment as prizes can cause people who want them to annoy other players to get them, which isn’t the ideal effect. I’ll discuss with the item team to see what kind of items to offer as prizes.

Q: I want items like decorations or harnesses that my chocobo can equip.
    A: This depends on discussions with the graphic team, but if it’s possible I’ll make something.

Gambling
    Q: I want to have some kind of element which helps me decide which chocobo to bet on.
    A: We’ll provide some kind of materials to help with your decision.

Q: Please introduce win, trifecta and lotto methods.
    A: First, you need to bet on 1st and 2nd. We might introduce other methods later.

Q: I think you should set a maximum bid amount.
    A: I agree with you. To avoid bankruptcy, we might need to set a limit (laugh).

Q: Are fixed games possible? For example, if a player makes a popular chocobo lose the race intentionally, lets someone win the big money, and they divide the gil after the race?
    A: We’ll introduce automatic racing methods based on chocobos’ data, such as parameters or abilities. Therefore, it’s impossible to change the ranking intentionally.

Finally…
    Chocobo Raising finally started with the latest version update!
    I wonder if some of you are getting watery-eyed over your cute baby chocobos…
    Someday, these baby chocobos will grow up and be able to participate in Chocobo Racing.
    First, concentrate on Chocobo Raising and raise your very own chocobo.
    While you are all working hard raising your chocobos, I will work hard on Chocobo Racing.

The next posting will be the last chance to collect everyone’s comments. If you have anything you haven’t mentioned yet, there’s still a chance for it to be implemented, so please contribute by all means!

- Snakeeye
    P.S. My chocobo was a girl!
    Last edited by PiNG; 08-31-2006, 08:27 PM. Reason: Bold All Answers, Color Coded Messages

Re: Chocobo Raising & Racing: Q/A PART2 (Continued)

Is it just me, or are there more female chocos than males?

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
      A poll is in order!

(Mines female by the way)
      ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Heh, my choco is male, must mean he might become a valuable commodity....
        MisterCookie: Alla refugee since May 2006

MisterCookie: Writing poor signatures since January 1999

http://www.songbirdnest.com - OSS Media Player

Comment

Female here, and shes as cute as cute can be :3 I doubt she will be a great racer, but I love her anyhow

I love how the dev talks man, this is refreshing, he even adresses himself as "I", and "Me", am I the only one who loves this kind of interaction with the players?
          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
            Female here, and shes as cute as cute can be :3 I doubt she will be a great racer, but I love her anyhow

I love how the dev talks man, this is refreshing, he even adresses himself as "I", and "Me", am I the only one who loves this kind of interaction with the players?
            Yeah, it is nice to see more personable responses to questions.
            I also love the question about trifecta and such. I think making this a lot like actual horse racing would be a LOT of fun.

Here's an actual question for the betting.

Will the wins on betting be based a basic 1:whatever the number of racers is, or will there be odds based on the chocobo's individual stats. I understand not basing it on what everyone else's bets are, since this could easily be exploited and people could throw races to win big on a long shot.

Also, I think what could possibly help people deal with not being able to control their chocobo themselves, would be for people to be able to see their playable character as the one riding their chocobo. Perhaps the bond that the owner and their chocobo have could play some sort of role in boosting the morale of the choco and give them a bigger boost at the end to try harder to win. Not having actual control over where and how fast the chocobo runs, but atleast being able to see their own character being the rider could be something to appease the masses.
            I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
              If you know anything about raising live stock or breeding horses you'd know that the male is the more prized of the stock. Generally on a cow farm there's one bull for every 100 cows. This being because a male can go around and get many females pregnant, but a female can only have so many babies before the strain on their body becomes too great. So it would only make since that SE would make the chance of a female higher and male lower. Who knows, there may be a set limit on the number of times a female can have chicks. But then again, these aren't mamals, so the strain on the females body is less, but there would still be a 3-4 month period where they couldn't be impregnated again. So basically, 1 male chocobo could probably service 5 female and have a continuous stream of babies, while one female would only be able to service one male.

Basically... we need more females then males.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamphire View Post
                If you know anything about raising live stock or breeding horses you'd know that the male is the more prized of the stock. Generally on a cow farm there's one bull for every 100 cows. This being because a male can go around and get many females pregnant, but a female can only have so many babies before the strain on their body becomes too great. So it would only make since that SE would make the chance of a female higher and male lower. Who knows, there may be a set limit on the number of times a female can have chicks. But then again, these aren't mamals, so the strain on the females body is less, but there would still be a 3-4 month period where they couldn't be impregnated again. So basically, 1 male chocobo could probably service 5 female and have a continuous stream of babies, while one female would only be able to service one male.

Basically... we need more females then males.
                When I was reading this, all I could think of was "Jerry Springer."

I'm sorry.
                Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
                I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggai View Post
                  When I was reading this, all I could think of was "Jerry Springer."

I'm sorry.
                  Haha.

I live in Alabama... spent about 10 years on a farm.

Comment

I knew mine was a male without question.....sleeps alot, loves " grass" and it peed on my foot the first time we took a walk. He met the chocko trainers friend " spring" in windy and tried to look up her feathers!
                    Beast 69 Blue 42 War 36 Pld 35 Red 35
                    Thf 30 Nin 23 Rgr 17 Sam 15

Cook 100 Wood 52 Fish 31 Leather 30 Cloth 30
                    Smith 22 Alchemy 20 Gold 16 Bone 15

Comment

mine is a Male

Comment

Originally posted by PiNG View Post
                        [FONT=Arial]
                        Q: Give the riders strengths and weaknesses or specific features. It would be great if we could choose the rider freely.
                        A: This is a good idea. I’ll try my best to introduce it.
                        SE, why can't we see our own characters race?

Q: Please make it possible to have cross-world races!
                        A: I’m sure the Community department staff will think about these types of events, much like Ballista Royale.
                        This sounds like a great idea.

Q: Some players are worried that races may be cancelled because there weren’t enough participants. Is there any plan to avoid situations like that?
                        A: Yes, there is. If there aren’t enough people to run in the race, we’ll add NPCs to compete against, instead of real players.
                        And everyone's worries should be put to rest.

Awards
                        Q: How about giving strong chocobos titles, medals, trophies, gil, or chocobo raising-related items depending on what place they finish in the race?
                        A: Nice idea! I’ll see what I can come up with.
                        ... He was joking, right? They seriously didn't have plans to have rewards? x_x

Q: Popular Rare/Ex equipment could cause people who just want items to act without regard for others. Could you provide something of value while avoiding these items?
                        A: Awarding equipment as prizes can cause people who want them to annoy other players to get them, which isn’t the ideal effect. I’ll discuss with the item team to see what kind of items to offer as prizes.
                        Now I don't understand this complaint. How can you annoy people with Rare/Ex? How is that unfair? They can only get it once, so they're not monopolizing anything. If he means that pt's would demand you get it, then I guess I can understand. But this worries me since now I think the only kind of rewards you'll get will be related to chocbo racing, trophies, and gil. That's kinda limiting.

Q: I think you should set a maximum bid amount.
                        A: I agree with you. To avoid bankruptcy, we might need to set a limit (laugh).
                        ...Do they intend players to actually bet with gil? O_o

Comment

I really like this person. He listens to everyone, states a personal opinion, and explains what he will do or try to do for many of the questions. I'm happy that they aren't letting us control our own chocobos, it completely gets rid of the lag issue and it's fair to all players.
                          Rinaminori
                          Red Mage 75/ Black Mage 75
                          Rank 10 San d'Oria| PM Complete | ZM Complete
                          Magnetic Earring: [O]
                          Remora Server ~

Comment

hmmm... i agree that i would be cool to see ourselfs on our chocobos while we race. To try to work with the problem of d/c and speed hacks... it can be automaticly controled and you can use a certain command.. That way you still will be in the race...

I AM VENCE, of Remora! Remember It!

Comment

Originally posted by PiNG View Post
                              We record information about a chocobo’s lineage, however we don’t (it’s more like we “can’t”) record which lineage came from which chocobo.
                              Eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X