This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appraisers(04/10/2006)

Some people in Vana'diel make their living as appraisers, helping merchants and mercenaries determine the type of items they have picked up during their travels in Aht Urhgan. The Near East's powerful ocean winds, rust, or even mere age can make an item unrecognizable to the amateur eye. The finder may even simply lack the knowledge to make an accurate judgment and find himself unsure of how to use the newly discovered good. In such cases, appraisers use their experience and keen senses to ascertain what the item really is. Qiqirn can use their keen noses to sniff out information about an item, and many make excellent appraisers. The only drawback to using a Qiqirn appraiser is that they might be a little difficult to understand due to their odd accents...

Appraisers

Does the idea of finding a mysterious item on your adventures sound exciting?

For example, let’s say you find a “??? sword.”

It may look just like an ordinary sword, but it could turn out to be an incredibly powerful relic. On the other hand, what looks to be a keen blade to the untrained eye may end up disappointing its finder. So what is the sword’s true identity? Could it be a legendary item? There is only one way to find out--by visiting an appraiser in town. The development team has decided to implement this feature in order to add an increased element of anticipation to adventuring in Aht Urhgan.

The mysterious items do not stop at swords. There are “??? gloves,” “??? rings,” and many other varieties. However, you will be unable to equip these items after finding them.

That is where the appraisers come in. By getting your mysterious items appraised, you will learn their true identities, and they will henceforth become usable. This service will require a payment in gil, but will not be very expensive.

If you get an item appraised while in a party, the appraised item will be added to the treasure pool. This is so that the treasure can be distributed among party members, even it is an Ex item. If you are playing solo, the appraised item will be added directly to your inventory. If you do not have enough inventory space, you may be unable to receive the appraised item, so be sure to clear out your bag beforehand.

So if you find an unknown item while adventuring in a party, you can travel to town and have the item appraised together before disbanding. Perhaps the item you have been holding will turn out to be a fantastic find, and then you can all celebrate together!

Appraisers and mysterious items will be available with the Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion disc!

Re: Appraisers(04/10/2006)

... for some reason I'm thinking about Zaldon gutting fish when I read about this.
    Some "unidentify blade" maybe able to turn into a super-uber sword.
    You collect 100s of them, very rare drop from a very rare to find mobs.
    Trade them all to the appraisers for a 0.2% chance of obtaining the swords.
    At the end you get no drop, 0/127 and lost the 3 months you used farming
    Then some random guy, got 2 blades unintensionally during his 5 minutes travel.
    Traded 2, got the sword 1/2.

orz sorry I just spent too much time with Zaldon lately.
    moved to news section.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

is this a craft?

Comment

No, it's not. Appraisal seems to be an NPC trade only.
        PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
        Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
        WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
        Currently Playing:
        FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Sounds like Diablo to me. Hauling an inventory of ??? crap back to town to ask someone if any of them are good.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

A similar system was intoduced into Ragnarok Online when I played that and is also in Guild Wars now, the only difference with those is that items were available for you to ID them yourself, alot of the time finding out that the ID kit was worth more than the weapons >_<.

Suggestions have been made so far that these unidentified pieces of equipment could come from Assault missions. FFXI doesn't really have a alot of equipment that drops from regular mobs and they suggest your party getting everything IDed before they split. That doesn't happen very often atm.

Comment

Maybe FFXI will have it's version of the Ashbringer. >_>

Comment

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master
                No, it's not. Appraisal seems to be an NPC trade only.
                "If you get an item appraised while in a party" curiousier and curiousier

Comment

Where is my Scroll of Identify & Tome of Identify a la Diablo II. Total rip off. Best thing to do would be to find someone, party up before identifying anything. Just in case someone else can use the item better than you can. (WTF am I going to do with a sword I can't equip?)

Another dumb idea that will force people to party up with others when they don't want to. Just like all the stupid events we've been having.
                  Hacked on 9/9/09
                  FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Originally posted by Artaxerxes
                    "If you get an item appraised while in a party" curiousier and curiousier
                    they didn't say out in the field. I believe they meant if you are in town, in a party, talking to an NPC appraiser.

Originally posted by Omniblast
                    Another dumb idea that will force people to party up with others when they don't want to. Just like all the stupid events we've been having.
                    well you could always just take all the loot for yourself

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I wonder if this will actually be a resouce for good items.
                      I wonder if this will just be a wate of time with crappy items.

I think that in theory this sounds very interesting, but for some reason people in my linkshell are thrilled by this. I have a theory... i think the NPC will charge you depending on how good the item is. Like for example.. he will "inspect" the item and he will tell you how much he is charging before revealing what it is. So if the price is higher the item must be good and vice versa.....

Any comments.??

Comment

I think the price will be the same for any item, so you can't tell what it is until you get it. Probably most of the items you can get will be crap but a couple rare ones will be really great, which will keep people doing it. So ..
                        I wonder if this will actually be a resouce for good items.
                        I wonder if this will just be a wate of time with crappy items.
                        Yes to both. That's my take.
                        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Im sure it will be a lot of items with crappy latent effects. But who knows!!!

One good thing for example is that limbus +1 AFs There are some very very cool stats of those items!

Comment

This sounds a lot like PSO's tekking system. Hmm... it'll be interesting to see how this works.
                            "From the void all things are born.
                            To the void all things return."

-philosophy of the Walahra

Comment

PSO Tekking system......
                              RDM75| DRG75

Comment

Working...
                              X