Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here it is. December update addresses MPK.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here it is. December update addresses MPK.

Addressing MPK Issues

MPK (Monster Player Kill) is a form of player harassment that has plagued many MMORPGs. MPK involves using one's character to purposely cause damage to other players or to unfairly take another's claimed target in the midst of battle. Several measures will be introduced in the next version update to counter these issues.

The upcoming measures are intended to deal with issues regarding the acquisition of items and claiming of monsters, rather than focusing on direct involvement in player disputes.

In previous updates, we have dealt with problems between players by changing fiercely competed-for items to Ex/Rare, changing the locations of certain notorious monsters, and introducing measures against the use of third-party tools that violate the user agreement. Several types of battlefield and burning circle areas were also added to decrease disputes between players.

The following measures were introduced in the version update on August 1, 2005 to further alleviate the issue.

-The command /blockaid was added.*(1)
    -"Trade" offers could no longer be received from characters on a player's blacklist.
    -Players were made unable to use spells or abilities to claim a monster as soon as it appeared.*(2)

However, interaction and competition with other players are what makes an MMORPG enjoyable, and we have no desire to sacrifice those aspects of FINAL FANTASY XI. Players may be affected by situations caused by others, such as suddenly finding oneself in the midst of a train of monsters led by another player trying to escape. Player interaction can be either positive or negative and is an important part of the game. It is essential for players to realize the importance of this interaction and enjoy it, cooperating with one another to solve any minor disputes that may arise.

Unfortunately, there have been several players as of late who have used game features to harass others, particularly in the form of MPK, or taking advantage of a monster's enmity to make it attack others and disrupt the game.

It is the role of the GM team to resolve such issues, but in several cases it can be difficult to determine whether a player intentionally caused a problem after consulting only the chat and action logs. Often there is a discrepancy between both sides of the dispute's claims. In such cases, it would not be proper to choose a side based on personal opinion or to listen to only one side's claims. Therefore, the issues best resolved have been those actually witnessed by the GM. Such difficulties have caused player disputes that require third-party intervention to increase, and we realize that in-game measures must be introduced to alleviate the situation.

In the next version update, we plan to introduce the following measures.

-If a player is KO'd or moves to a new area while fighting a monster at a location in which the monster does not usually inhabit, the monster will not begin attacking others in the surrounding area. Instead, it will simply disappear.

This measure refers to the radius that the monster walks about when not engaged in battle. After being drawn out of that radius during battle and released, the monster will disappear, and then reappear after a short time in its proper location. In addition, the monster that reappears will be the exact same monster that disappeared, and not another monster of the same type. This rule will not apply to notorious monsters.

-Monsters that have been rendered immobile with the "Bind" spell will not attack anyone other than the party or alliance that it is targeting.

The GM team will continue to penalize players who purposely harass others. The GMs will not deal with player disputes after hearing only one position, but will strive to find a solution after consulting all sides. We ask for your cooperation and understanding, and hope that you enjoy interacting with other players in the world of FINAL FANTASY XI.

*(1) The /blockaid command
    The command "/blockaid" was added.
    "/blockaid" has the following effect:
    Magical assistance (such as "Cure" and "Protect"), trades, party invites etc. from non-party/alliance characters will be blocked.
    The "/blockaid" effect will be canceled if the player temporarily logs out to the PlayOnline Viewer, logs out, changes areas, or is KO'd.

Command/Subcommands:
    /blockaid on
    Activate the blockaid effect.
    /blockaid off
    Cancel the blockaid effect.
    /blockaid
    Display current blockaid status.

*(2) Claiming monsters
    Players are no longer able to use spells or abilities to claim a monster as soon as it appears.
    If players attempt to use spells or abilities to claim a monster before a set amount of time has passed since it appeared, they will be unable to use those spells or abilities again for a certain duration.

FINAL FANTASY XI Development Team (12/08/2005)
    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
    Currently Playing:
    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Re: Here it is. December update addresses MPK.

does that mean you can't "voke" spawns? Like you actually have to go and attack them? Sounds kinda fishy to me... And the whole blockaid thing also confuses me? Who wouldn't want to recieve out of party buffs? I love it when a WHM runs by and throws Prot/Shell on me while i Solo
    Never fear Death... simply become it...
    http://www.insomniel.com/quizzes/dragoon.html <-- ME!

Artist: Blue Oyster Cult Lyrics
    Song: (Don't Fear) The Reaper Lyrics
    All our times have come
    Here but now they're gone
    Seasons don't fear the reaper
    Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain..we can be like they are
    Come on baby...don't fear the reaper
    Baby take my hand...don't fear the reaper
    We'll be able to fly...don't fear the reaper
    Baby I'm your man...

Comment

you can turn blockaid on and off and its already in the game
      CHECK MY JOURNAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Rai-Jin
        you can turn blockaid on and off and its already in the game
        yes, it's a thing that was added 8/05 just like the OP says.

Double Post Edited:
        Originally posted by Pai Pai Master

Addressing MPK Issues
        <snip>

The following measures were introduced in the version update on August 1, 2005 to further alleviate the issue.

-The command /blockaid was added.*(1)
        -"Trade" offers could no longer be received from characters on a player's blacklist.
        -Players were made unable to use spells or abilities to claim a monster as soon as it appeared.*(2)

<snip>
        usually /blockaid off is the best mode, but if you're hurt (but can handle the mob) and somone runs by and slaps a Cure IV on you, it'll chase them and you'll have to Disengege to catch up to it. As you know Disengaging cancels your claim and if you've been waiting days for this nm to pop, Valkrum Emporer, for example since people still want the item, then they can kill it and get the drop.
        Last edited by Enialas; 12-08-2005, 06:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Paragon of Red Mage Excellence
        G1 (X) 2(X) 3(X) 4(X) 5(Test aquired)
        San Doria Rank 6
        ZM5, PM2-5, ToAU 1-1

Which FF Character Are You?

a male version anyways >.> ... ~.^

#2 Vivi #3 Kuja

Comment

I'd figure they would make that blockaid feature mandatory, forcing people in parties/alliances to utilize their positions to the fullest and contribute as much as they can toward the party/alliance successfulness. Its a understandable feature to be able to enable/disable when your solo though. I thought that no abilities/spells on first instance of a mob was alread in production~

Comment

THAT IS INCREDIBLY BAD NEWS FOR BEASTMASTERS!
            This measure refers to the radius that the monster walks about when not engaged in battle. After being drawn out of that radius during battle and released, the monster will disappear, and then reappear after a short time in its proper location. In addition, the monster that reappears will be the exact same monster that disappeared, and not another monster of the same type. This rule will not apply to notorious monsters.
            I pray that "released" does not apply to Leave, but my suspicions are that it will. F U SE.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Yes, if you read their statement they were just mentioning all that they have done before along with what else they plan to add in. The spell and ability thing was added last update, though it isn't hugely noticable and some abilities still are capable for use in an instant claim. The one it affected the most was MNKs using their Chi Blast to claim.

Double Post Edited:
              Originally posted by neighbortaru
              THAT IS INCREDIBLY BAD NEWS FOR BEASTMASTERS!

I pray that "released" does not apply to Leave, but my suspicions are that it will. F U SE.
              Yeah, I'm a little worried about that as well. It's going to really screw over BSTs time wise with that change. From how the mechanics of the system works now I bet you are right on your guess Neighbortaru.
              Last edited by Macht; 12-08-2005, 08:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

All I can say is... PWNED!!!

I run a journal here and I planned on doing segments on LS on my server (or general players,) who MPK others for kicks. Taking pictures of them and posting them in my journal for all to see what kind of people they are. In fact, I even heard of a certain LS who tried to MPK some people at Orc God yesterday. They know who they are, and are true cowards.

In my opinion, MPKers are faceless sissies who probably don't know how to pick a fight in real life, so they have to resort to picking on others in a game to get their fix. I posted pics once of some fool named Optic from my server who stole a claim from us once, but everyone already knew what kind of person he was, but I won't stop until every MPKer and HNM theif has a picture in my journal for all to see, so that persons name is in shambles.

However with this news, maybe there won't need to be reason for it, but I'll always be ready with picture taking in hand to exploit these clowns for who they are. I will give kudos to SE for taking these measures though, and it seems to be a very smart system. Maybe the legit players who don't ever give a thought to MPKing others in the face of jealousy, can play in peace and fairness now.

-X-

<--- I'm cursed
                READ MY JOURNAL ON THIS WEBSITE!
                http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/jou...owjournal&j=18

Comment

Originally posted by megax11
                  All I can say is... PWNED!!!

I run a journal here and I planned on doing segments on LS on my server (or general players,) who MPK others for kicks. Taking pictures of them and posting them in my journal for all to see what kind of people they are. In fact, I even heard of a certain LS who tried to MPK some people at Orc God yesterday. They know who they are, and are true cowards.

In my opinion, MPKers are faceless sissies who probably don't know how to pick a fight in real life, so they have to resort to picking on others in a game to get their fix. I posted pics once of some fool named Optic from my server who stole a claim from us once, but everyone already knew what kind of person he was, but I won't stop until every MPKer and HNM theif has a picture in my journal for all to see, so that persons name is in shambles.

However with this news, maybe there won't need to be reason for it, but I'll always be ready with picture taking in hand to exploit these clowns for who they are. I will give kudos to SE for taking these measures though, and it seems to be a very smart system. Maybe the legit players who don't ever give a thought to MPKing others in the face of jealousy, can play in peace and fairness now.

-X-
                  Don't know think the idea they went with seems very bad, Mobs just despawning and respawning back were they had been before this could be just as bad. I mean timed right you can catch an entire group off guard with mobs respawning right on them. Even worse is that since it's respawning you'll have even less clue of who originally trained it then.

Though this is assuming that the way they are planning the respawn is as bad as I'm thinking it will be.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

3 things:

1) if immediatly upon release, but last night somone zoned Shadow Dragon and I was being chased by a demon from castle Zhalves (i went to "target" somone who just went out of range so i went to heal instead, aggro >.>) when I zoned back in the skellies and the demon weren't there (all skellies and dragon aggroed him since i couldn't stop and sneak him anymore lol) but the dragon was still there so we killed it

the others had time for us to heal, him hps via my cures then my convert so i couldn't actually se it in a timely manner.

2) when a mob spawns there's some time before it goes "active" ie no aggro, maybe when it respawns it'll follow that rule too.

3) was it all mobs or just normaly aggressive ones? i assume just non-aggros, all one needs is to accidentially disengage from a non-agressive NM and have it poof.
                    Paragon of Red Mage Excellence
                    G1 (X) 2(X) 3(X) 4(X) 5(Test aquired)
                    San Doria Rank 6
                    ZM5, PM2-5, ToAU 1-1

Which FF Character Are You?

a male version anyways >.> ... ~.^

#2 Vivi #3 Kuja

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
                      Don't know think the idea they went with seems very bad, Mobs just despawning and respawning back were they had been before this could be just as bad. I mean timed right you can catch an entire group off guard with mobs respawning right on them. Even worse is that since it's respawning you'll have even less clue of who originally trained it then.

Though this is assuming that the way they are planning the respawn is as bad as I'm thinking it will be.
                      Indeed. At least before this update, anyone would be closer to a zone if a monster were to attack anyone near it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathFromAbove
                        does that mean you can't "voke" spawns? Like you actually have to go and attack them? Sounds kinda fishy to me... And the whole blockaid thing also confuses me? Who wouldn't want to recieve out of party buffs? I love it when a WHM runs by and throws Prot/Shell on me while i Solo
                        You can still Provoke them, just not instantly. It's been like that for a little while. It was done because some players were complaining that because of lag mobs looked like they spawned claimed. A small delay it gives everyone time to see the mob before it can be attacked.

As for the blockaid it because someone could spam cures on someone to get hate, use a high hate ability like benediction or invinsible then run away with NMs people were fighting until they were far enough away for the mob to go yellow again then kill it themselves.

Comment

Well this is has its good points and "meh" ones.

Solving the bind issue is awesome (about time). This does help stop the MPK at Serket(atleast on my server) as well as the potential for MPK at Fafhogg and Shikigame Weapon (minor but its happend). Adamentiose/Aspi, Behe/KB, Beastmen gods aret really affected by this so much. Plus there is the whole "Voke-spaming-for-the-chance-of-it-going-unclaimed-for-the-smallest-fraction-of-a second-and-stealing-claim" MPK that can still happen.

The depop only will happen if the "trainer" dies or zones/warps/escapes/teleports. So disengauging a mob wont make it disappear. Under those conditions, it doest seem to be detramental to BST. However, Squares shotty wording does make it seem vauge still.
                          sigpic
                          Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

it will cool down those major bat/beetle trains in garliage and the crawler trains in crawler's nest if you give the mobs enough time.
                            Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
                            Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Comment

Originally posted by Gobo
                              Well this is has its good points and "meh" ones.

Solving the bind issue is awesome (about time). This does help stop the MPK at Serket(atleast on my server) as well as the potential for MPK at Fafhogg and Shikigame Weapon (minor but its happend). Adamentiose/Aspi, Behe/KB, Beastmen gods aret really affected by this so much. Plus there is the whole "Voke-spaming-for-the-chance-of-it-going-unclaimed-for-the-smallest-fraction-of-a second-and-stealing-claim" MPK that can still happen.

The depop only will happen if the "trainer" dies or zones/warps/escapes/teleports. So disengauging a mob wont make it disappear. Under those conditions, it doest seem to be detramental to BST. However, Squares shotty wording does make it seem vauge still.
                              After being drawn out of that radius during battle and released, the monster will disappear, and then reappear after a short time in its proper location.
                              Re-read that, they only used the death and zone as examples. This statement is stating that the mob has a range that it normally exists in, if taken out of that range and then for any reason is free roaming again that it will despawn and respawn back were it should.

When a BST releases their pet it becomes free roaming, you wait for the pet to heal full again and you can even get EXP from killing it so game function wise a released pet fits all the conditions described as well.

As a side note to this I just realized, what if a BST were to use tame on mobs that were accidentals after it'se been taken out of it's normal area. Does this mean a BSTs Tame may have more applicable tricks for it now with these conditions? Example BST being used as additional assistance for PLing. If party pulls to fast or knows they can't handle then disengage it and let BST Tame it >.>
                              Last edited by Macht; 12-08-2005, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X