Venture Beat Interview with Yoshi-P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venture Beat Interview with Yoshi-P

The Final Fantasy XIV director talks business, gameplay, and doing away with the Final Fantasy logo (interview) | GamesBeat

Quite an informative interview, if nothing else, for some bit of background to FFXI and the transition to FFXIV (1.0) development. Seems that Tanaka-san & Co. were adverse to taking risks and were hedging too many positions with pretty much recycled ideas from FFXI (although apparently they recycled the bad ideas and didn't even bother implementing some of the newer features and better ideas)

Notable quotes:

But then again, that lets us see one of the biggest things that was wrong with the original release of Final Fantasy XIV. If they wanted to make it—they should have taken it and made it into Final Fantasy XI-2. Take Final Fantasy XI and make a sequel with new types of systems and new graphics, but build it off of that foundation. Instead of doing that, they decided they wanted to do something new, but still use some of the things from XI. Again, instead of taking one thing and taking it to the next level, they just kept everything kind of in the middle. Nothing was exceptional.
    If I wanted to destroy everything that was in the original XIV, I wouldn’t have taken on the position of rebuilding XIV. I would have gone on to Final Fantasy XVI and made that instead. The fact that I took up XIV is because I realized that, again, even though it had the rocky launch, there were still a lot of people out there who loved the game.
    We wanted something that was new, something that was refreshing, to show that the game is going in a new direction. It’s not just this game. If you look at Lightning Returns, they’ve used a different logo now as well. It’s something that our company is doing as a whole. The series has to evolve if we’re going to evolve as well.
    One of my ideas is that once Final Fantasy XV is released, we’ll maybe even remove the XIV from this and just make it Final Fantasy. What’s going to happen is, from a player’s perspective – someone who maybe doesn’t know about Final Fantasy XIV – if you see Final Fantasy XV, you think, “Well, XV is out. Why do I want to play XIV? That’s the old game.” By removing that and making this our title, that sets it apart.
    Although the typos by that writer was cringe-worthy, the rest of the interview didn't really provide any more than Yoshi-P already provided in other interviews, but the perspective from the viewpoint of an ex-FFXI player might be of use for the people on these forums (FFXI players which the forum was created for)

Re: Venture Beat Interview with Yoshi-P

I really like the 1st and last quotes particularly.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
    X