Starting City Restriction = Bad Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting City Restriction = Bad Idea

In fact, the whole guild system is bad. Just really bad. These are holdovers from 1.0 where we had to purchase guild marks (or obtain them) in order to unlock traits and new abilities. Now, if you thought that was a bad idea, then what we have is just convoluted and nonsensical.

Taking a step back, my experience in starting in Limsa Lominsa was pleasant with epic-filled quests and stories. The problem was that someone apparently didn't think things through and for some ridiculous reasons, decided that (a) MRDs were the only main class (combat) to start in LL and (b) no gathering class. This makes crafting a pain in the rear as the lack of a reliable method of obtaining the necessary amounts of fire crystals puts a damper on the whole experience (in fact, I was unable to really do very much with crafting AT ALL, despite the fact that I had really wanted to test it out and provide feedback, especially with the use of a controller scheme) There are 3 fire crystal hungry crafting in LL: Culinary, Blacksmithing and Amorsmithing. So what do they put in for a gathering class? NOTHING. Fishing was suppose to be the thing for LL but because they haven't even gotten it down past concept into actual implementation, there's nothing for crafters in that city to do but hold off on crafting and wait till they obtain their airship pass through main storyline quest to fly to the other cities.

But here's the thing: Fishing only provides crystals for the aforementioned crafts (with exception of cooking, as it can provide the ingredients for the recipes) So why do they still want to leave mining in Ul'dah if that is the case? I for one would rather they put all the crafting guild in Ul'dah or at least move either BSM or ARM and swap it (maybe for Alchemy) /smh

Again, when I thought about ARR, I thought they'd get rid of every single aspect of Tanaka's machinations. Instead, ironically, the bastard is still going to haunt us and will probably be the downfall of this game.

There's also this particularly annoying problem of lack of healing. I don't know who was responsible for this oversight, but they should NEVER have bothered opening up LL in Phase 3.

Re: Starting City Restriction = Bad Idea

This will only be a problem come release for about 9 hours. Then people will figure out they can leave LL and go to other cities. You're only looking at the micro, not the macro. The decision to start you in your guild city was to allow you to access your class/job quests easier and is newbie friendly. If you want to venture out to another city, you're certainly welcome to -- as are others.

Also, Arcanist seems to be a healer, as well, with how SCH looks.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Etra View Post
      This will only be a problem come release for about 9 hours. Then people will figure out they can leave LL and go to other cities. You're only looking at the micro, not the macro. The decision to start you in your guild city was to allow you to access your class/job quests easier and is newbie friendly. If you want to venture out to another city, you're certainly welcome to -- as are others.

Are they allowing the boat transportation out at release or is that going to require you to actually get some kind of boarding pass? The NPC told me I didn't have enough funds (LOL apparently 15K gil was not enough) so I wasn't too sure ...

However, HELM + Crafting seems to be peculiar and doesn't essentially jive with the combat classes. For example, if I wanted to craft gear, I'd have to essentially just buy it from the NPC, because the cost and time involved in the effort to even just produce a level 1 of anything is ridiculous. And it doesn't actually solve the issue that players were expressing with the apparent "lack of use" for crafting in general.

Comment

I can't comment on the boat, since I'm not sure. However, I would assume it's one of those "not yet implemented" thing, since the general "you don't have enough money" speech isn't specific. If it were implemented, it'd tell you how much you need or how to obtain a pass another way, yeah? :s

Haven't tried crafting. In fact, didn't bother with this last test, really... Just made a character and logged out. Sadly, though, from what everyone else is saying, crafting does look to be a little lopsided in cost versus return. :/
        sigpic

Comment

The crafting system hasn't changed all that much from the previous phases, outside of the UI looking a "wee" bit different. I did see that they expanded the recipe listing to better "conform" to particular classes needs (i.e., stop gap to fill in what's been lacking from quest rewards) However, it still feels a bit ... I don't know how to put it into words. I think they over did the quests a bit too much with the item rewards, as I'd have prefer them to put in more food items, scale back down the quantity of potions (because right now there is little incentive for players to get themselves into trouble with a 1 min CD to spam away these potions without thought) and maybe change gear from quests to be unique and with less stats than crafted gear. Not a whole lot less, but, for example:

Dungeon Gear = Ultimate
          Quest Reward Gear (HARD/Group) = Similar to Dungeon drop, but you cannot get a full "set" from quests alone (maybe one or two pieces top for the entire questing zone)
          Crafted Gear = A point or so less from one or two main stats and one less of a secondary stat
          Quest Reward Gear (all else) = A point or so less from all main stats and NO secondary stat

Something like that. Same could be true of food, potions and other things.

Comment

They need to hurry up with Musketeer...

MRD = tank/dd class
            ARC = enfeebler (later on healing with SCH)
            MSK = "light" DD

Follows the same formula as the other 2 cities, just, it does suck that you only have MRD in Beta atm for starting in LL. It's also a real bitch having to wait so long before you can go to Ul'dah to unlock miner - way to have 2/3 of the city's guilds rely on a class you can't even unlock for quite a while.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I wouldn't say it's quite a while unless leveling took as long as FFXI did for the first 10 levels back during the ROTZ days (which on average could take 1 or 2 nights for some people, resting included, then it gets much slower in dunes). on FFXIV ARR beta it sounds like one could get to level 15 in just a couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by jenova_9 View Post
                I wouldn't say it's quite a while unless leveling took as long as FFXI did for the first 10 levels back during the ROTZ days (which on average could take 1 or 2 nights for some people, resting included, then it gets much slower in dunes). on FFXIV ARR beta it sounds like one could get to level 15 in just a couple of hours.
                Not a couple of hours. It takes at least 6 hours with some FATEs in between. If you're unlucky, though, and don't get into any FATEs (or the only FATEs that are up are beyond your level so you don't get squat for participation) then that will take even longer. I was lucky in that 90% of the FATEs I ran into were optimal range for myself (or I could just Level Sync) and that I kept running into them more times than I received quests. There are behests that you can do as a group but I never did them and didn't really see anyone do them. Not sure if that's how people got a lot of exp but I would take anybody's claim that it only took them 2 hours to get to 15 with a grain of salt. That's pretty much a load of bull.

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't help but laugh a little thinking about all the Marauders running around LL by themselves.
                  I'm sure it will even out though, we know ARC will be there as well, and this is still the beta. so there's still time.

Comment

Originally posted by neenja_jenkins View Post
                    Yeah, I couldn't help but laugh a little thinking about all the Marauders running around LL by themselves.
                    I'm sure it will even out though, we know ARC will be there as well, and this is still the beta. so there's still time.
                    You should see the whack-a-mole FATE ... hilarious watching 100 MRDs literally "whacking" moles.

Comment

Can't you just start as a Marauder and buy a different weapon?

Comment

You can't equip the weapon until you speak to the Guild Master of the class that weapons pertains too.
                        - Never Underestimate The Power Of A Duck!
                        Dux Dux, Lallafel, Odin
                        My Profile On Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Etra View Post

The "official" reason is because of the focus on quests and the involvement of the guilds into the story - can't do your class quests if your guild isn't in your starting city so therefor class gets locked. I don't entirely mind the decision, I just think it's a bit suck for LL in particular right now as it's short handed on selection. That, and 2/3 of the guilds depend very heavily on MIN which means getting to 15+ and traveling to UD which kinda blows when previously you could just buy a pickaxe and start mining.
                          sigpic

Comment

Something I noticed for the beta... no mining points outside LL. I got Miner to 11 and kept going to La Noscea(SP?) looking for Ice Shards, because that's where the Gathering Log said they would be. Wandered all around the zone, where I could safely anyway, and never found a mining point. My initial assumption is that they don't have gathering "turned on" in the zone. I hope that is the case, because I needed the Ice Shards for Armorer. So, yes, beta is a bit broken for crafting/gathering, but I personally am not judging it yet, as it IS just a BETA.
                            FFXIV Balmung Server
                            Tenro Matashi
                            PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Did you have your detection ability on? It's Triangulate for Botanist, forget what it's called for Miner. If you don't have it active, you can't see mining points.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X