Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest First Impressions? (For those of us still on the fence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Honest First Impressions? (For those of us still on the fence)

I don't have any problems seeing party members. I've never lost them in a crowd, nor during a leve. Not sure why you guys are having such a problemo.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
      I don't have any problems seeing party members. I've never lost them in a crowd, nor during a leve. Not sure why you guys are having such a problemo.
      You are online earlier and do not get peak traffic. When I'm on, it seems like there's a family reunion of 5,000 families with a family tree dating back to Julius Caesar and they got EVERYONE there at their big ass party.

Comment

Hmm, dare I ask this question again?

Now that FFXIV is out and no longer in beta, I'm guessing that there is someone playing on dialup who can say whether or not this game is playable on dialup. Either that or someone's opinion on the matter.

True, I got opinions in my other thread on the subject, however this is now the game and not beta, so I am a bit curious to see if opinions have changed.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
          Hmm, dare I ask this question again?

Now that FFXIV is out and no longer in beta, I'm guessing that there is someone playing on dialup who can say whether or not this game is playable on dialup. Either that or someone's opinion on the matter.

True, I got opinions in my other thread on the subject, however this is now the game and not beta, so I am a bit curious to see if opinions have changed.
          Other than the inconvenience of you having to suffer through a very long update process (talking in terms of 100s of MBs worth of data to update your software) there shouldn't be that much more information passing through. And they seem to have reduced a lot of things in the game so people with lesser powered computers can run it (there's still an absolute minimum though, it's not like you should be able to play this game with a PIV ...)

But to be honest I have never really measured the amount of data passing to and fro while in-game. The last time I did such an analysis was when I tried to play World of Warcraft over dialup and ... that was hell.

Comment

I dont think you can play FFXIV on dialup, on the box it says that minimum requirement is broadband internet. Now I know that it's not really a basis for anything... but it is on the box ;p
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Well, I could take my computer on over to my sister's to do the update, but it's really sounding like it might be best to wait until I get a faster internet connection. Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later.

Thanks all!

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

Comment

Well, I could take my computer on over to my sister's to do the update, but it's really sounding like it might be best to wait until I get a faster internet connection. Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later.
                Is it simply not available in your area? If you're able to get Cable TV then you should be eligible to get a service, usually with another company like Comcast or something which leases or rents the operator of those lines.

Comment

No cable/landline connection other than dialup is available in this location. The only way to get faster internet is by satellite or other forms of wireless.

I'm hoping that we get wireless by the end of the year or so, but we'll see.

Comment

Ouch.

And sat connection usually sucks for these games because of latency and other issues, or so I'm told.

But I've seen people go postal before over repeated disconnections and unplayable lag. Although maybe the technology works better now than it used to.
                    Last edited by Raydeus; 10-01-2010, 04:14 PM.
                    sigpic
                    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I have a cousin in the Navy who uses a satellite connection. From some of the rants I have heard from him you might be best off just sticking with dial-up
                      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I'm hoping that we get wireless by the end of the year or so, but we'll see.
                        You could possibly get by with ISDN ... assuming anyone is still offering that type anymore (128kbps transmission, 2.5x better than 56k!) Another method is to tether a smart phone like an iPhone or Android over a 3G. You can also try checking Sprint out with a pure 4G.

Vyuru,

http://www.clearwire.com/shop/

They are partnered with Sprint so they can provide 4G over a wider area. This lessens the cost for both if they integrate their coverage.

Comment

Thank you for your interest in Clearwire. We currently do not offer service in the location you entered. Please enter your contact information below and we will contact you as soon as we have coverage in your area.
                          Looks like that's still a no from Clearwire at least

As for satellite, there is supposed to be a provider around here that offers good reliable connections, the issue was that they were kinda pricey. However it's been a couple of years since we last looked at getting this so it'll be time to start looking around at who all offers high speed internet in this area and at what prices and stuff.

Comment

OMG where do you live ... in the middle of a national forest reserve? I can't imagine coverage in just about anywhere in the country that's not inside of a very large forest. Hell, some people still can get phone reception even in those forests.

Comment

Haha, no, I live roughly halfway between Enumclaw and Auburn, WA. We're like smack dab in the middle of a relative dead zone between the two towns as far as some forms of wireless and most forms of cable are concerned.

Also, not in the middle of a national forest reserve, but I am in the middle of several dairy farms.

Comment

Haha, no, I live roughly halfway between Enumclaw and Auburn, WA. We're like smack dab in the middle of a relative dead zone between the two towns as far as some forms of wireless and most forms of cable are concerned.

Also, not in the middle of a national forest reserve, but I am in the middle of several dairy farms.
                                I'll write to the Gates Foundation on your behalf. You live not very far from Microsoft HQ. I kind of find it ironic. I was in WA just this past summer to visit my mom who lives in Mount Lake Terrace (Between Shoreline and Lynnwood) ... oddly enough, she has FIOS service there. O_o (~20 gbps up/down I think?)

Comment

Working...
                                X