Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest First Impressions? (For those of us still on the fence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honest First Impressions? (For those of us still on the fence)

That's terrible. In XI, in instances like Besieged it's kind of like "oh well" even if it is your party, you do the best you can. But imagine something like that in a deal like Dynamis or Nidhogg where there will always be a ton of people and dying can be a much bigger impact on the outcome of the event. And these are your LS members, typically you're going to be much more frustrated when you can't perform for them as opposed to random people in Campaign or whatever.

It was frustrating enough when people in my party were out of range and I couldn't cast on them, would be much worse indeed for them to be right up next to me and unable to be cured because of some horrible server lag/lack of prioritizing from the server. That's just awful. I vowed I probably wouldn't really touch a healing class this time around because I always got suckered into it in my last several linkshells, but I will admit that I enjoy healing classes and would end up playing them and this is something that would be a huge turnoff to me. If it's not fixed, well, that's another nail in XIV's coffin.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
      I vowed I probably wouldn't really touch a healing class this time around because I always got suckered into it in my last several linkshells, but I will admit that I enjoy healing classes and would end up playing them and this is something that would be a huge turnoff to me. If it's not fixed, well, that's another nail in XIV's coffin.
      I always get screwed into being a mage/healer. I mean I am a caretaker irl so it kind of flows over to mmos too but once in a while I'd like to mindlessly bludgeon stuff too and not get all stressed out. And healing in this game STRESSES ME OUT!
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Yeah that's why I figured I would probably not even level one ... and then I'll start "just for the hell of it," get addicted, and end up playing it all the fucking time. Because that's exactly what happened when I started leveling my WHM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
          I always get screwed into being a mage/healer. I mean I am a caretaker irl so it kind of flows over to mmos too but once in a while I'd like to mindlessly bludgeon stuff too and not get all stressed out. And healing in this game STRESSES ME OUT!

Then why would you play as a healer in the game? Why not change to a DoW and whack stuff around while some one else heals you?

Comment

It's the guilt thing. People say, "Oh, we know you'd like to play your <Insert any more fun class here> for today but we really need you to heal for us today because Johnny just got his relic and wants to play with that and Sally is going to be missing Dynamis today because of her sister's wedding so you need to be on your WHM for the good of the linkshell pretty please please please please please with a cherry on top I promise next time you can play your <more fun class> (which we both know is bullshit you'll sucker me into playing WHM again next time too) so can you please just switch to WHM just this one time?"

Happened almost every goddamn time I thought I could sneak my way to an event on BLM.
            sigpic

Comment

Ya pretty much and I'm very susceptible to the "guilt thing". lol And lets not forget who I play with...my family. Who knows me better and can push my buttons the easiest? Uh-huh.
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I never got into that issue with people asking me to play a job I never liked. (Mostly ninja and ranger.) And when I was asked, i just said "No I can't stand either one of the jobs, and don't want to play them." If I wasn't allowed to play a job/class I want to, I would probably leave the linkshell (which i did a few times until I found a good one.), or just not go to the event.

But each person is their own, and do their own ways. Its kinda hard to guilt trip me though. Even in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                  It's the guilt thing. People say, "Oh, we know you'd like to play your <Insert any more fun class here> for today but we really need you to heal for us today because Johnny just got his relic and wants to play with that and Sally is going to be missing Dynamis today because of her sister's wedding so you need to be on your WHM for the good of the linkshell pretty please please please please please with a cherry on top I promise next time you can play your <more fun class> (which we both know is bullshit you'll sucker me into playing WHM again next time too) so can you please just switch to WHM just this one time?"
                  In my guild I originally raided with my hunter and saw the need for a tank/healer and got those instead (Druid healer, Paladin tank) It's funny because I tell all my guildmates, "no, don't, I'll do it" and have them stay on rather than bail out. I guess that's what you need to do as a leader.

Strangely enough, that sort of rubbed off on people and everyone wanted to heal/tank and we end up just doing a 2nd raid (with a lot of PUGs as well) for giggles to make it fair for everyone. I don't think I'll have the time commitment to do that this time around for this game ...

... but I'd make every DPS sub heals to cover that.

(I have a tank of a second character though so it's not something I could just give up on easily ... lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
                    Then why would you play as a healer in the game? Why not change to a DoW and whack stuff around while some one else heals you?
                    Female players tend to gravitate towards healers. Might seem a blanket statement but in all of the MMOs I've played to date this is the case.

Comment

• Re: Honest First Impressions? (For those of us still on the fence)

I like to be busy so I like to play a job that does that. Sometimes being a melee is down right boring on some jobs and that doesn't appeal to me. This was especially true when they did away with skillchains. I loved drk in FFXI for that reason, it had things to keep it busy instead of just whacking away. My real love was rdm but not the rdm that most people play now. I was a rdm/nin way back in the day when it was actually cool to be one. So I fall in the middle, I like some casting to keep busy but I also want to whack things.

Comment

Really, really hating the lack of easy targeting.

No F8 key for NPCs, no hotkeys for PT members either ugh... the UI needs more work or this game is gonna put off a lot of people the same way XI did. Also, lower the damn requirement on that undyed canvas geez... @_@
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Someone told me F12 for targeting members... I haven't tried it because I use a controller.

Comment

Hey K!

I just bought the game today on lunch... What server are you on?

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                            I am enjoying myself overall but I will admit there are a few things that bug me, and I am sure will be changed/fixed later

PROs (for me)
                            Solo ability, and the ability to get things done in around 30 mins (normally, I am sure endgame will be different)
                            dyable cloths, and the ability to pretty much equip what ever you want....to a point
                            Character creation
                            graphics and music (my god I love you Nobuo Uematsu ;p

CONS
                            Guild leve reset time (I do understand why its set for so long though)
                            No Auction House or a way to search retainers (sure this will change later)
                            Crafting is way to multi class dependent.... (for god's sake I should not need 4 different classes to make arrows)
                            Last edited by TheGrandMom; 09-30-2010, 10:22 AM. Reason: fixed quote
                            Emmanuell
                            Odin Server - Transplanted from Ifrit Server
                            95 DRK, 95 BST
                            Bastok Rank 10

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                              Wow. Just wow. Even FFXI doesn't do that.
                              Yes it does, it just has it's priorities straight. Ever noticed how you never saw everyone, or sometimes anyone at all, during things like besieged?

It sounds like XIV draws what ever shows up first.
                              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                                Yes it does, it just has it's priorities straight. Ever noticed how you never saw everyone, or sometimes anyone at all, during things like besieged?

It sounds like XIV draws what ever shows up first.
                                I have a sneaking suspicion it draws up whoever was there the longest (in that particular area) I notice that I'm seeing tons of players who are crafting (so they would be there quite a long time) and barely see anyone who is working on battlecraft leves (those who recently arrived via teleport)

Comment

Working...
                                X