Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest First Impressions? (For those of us still on the fence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honest First Impressions? (For those of us still on the fence)

I'm no longer on the fence about FFxiv at this point. Thank you Aks for the thread. I'll see if there's any changes in gameplay that entice me more when it's released for the PS3; but, from what I've read for while now, FFxiv will not be my cup of tea.

I'm totally down for the simulation of fighting monsters and grouping up for epic battles that is not possible in RL (don't go there LARPers). Weaving, smithing, gathering, cooking, leathercraft... these are all things I can and (some) I have learned to do in RL. I don't feel like paying for and pouring hours into the simulation of these things for a virtual world. Endgame knitting circles don't entice the gamer in me in the least. It just does not float my boat.

Kudos to those that this does interest and I really mean that. I hope you have a grande time. Maybe I'll attempt to get into it once you all have crafted all these items and the adventuring can begin. Should any of you not be coming back ever to FFxi, you can mail anything you don't want to Neverslip, Cerberus - Care of Moogle
    Last edited by Neverslip; 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM.
    FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
    FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
    aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

I'm honestly still torn. On the one hand, I've been there for other MMO launches, and this one sounds about par for the course. Most of the complaints I'm hearing aren't deal-breakers for me, and I honestly feel that they will be dealt with eventually. On the other hand, I know what FFXI was like, and man, the social aspect when you end up starting later is like...best of luck, newbie, but we don't have time for your late ass. So hopefully when the PS3 version comes out, there will be enough new players to make it worthwhile. Of course, most everyone I know is playing now, so I'm going to be considerably behind them if I do wait that long. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
        I'm honestly still torn. On the one hand, I've been there for other MMO launches, and this one sounds about par for the course. Most of the complaints I'm hearing aren't deal-breakers for me, and I honestly feel that they will be dealt with eventually. On the other hand, I know what FFXI was like, and man, the social aspect when you end up starting later is like...best of luck, newbie, but we don't have time for your late ass. So hopefully when the PS3 version comes out, there will be enough new players to make it worthwhile. Of course, most everyone I know is playing now, so I'm going to be considerably behind them if I do wait that long. Sigh.
        But they'll be able to give you tons of gil, craft all the armor you'll ever need AND PL you so you fly through levels by then!!

That's why joining XIV eventually is my backup plan in case all of the cool MMOGs I'm interested in turn out to be duds.

Unless you get blisted on sight as I'm sure I will be after all the requests I'm going to make if I ever join the game. Ohohohoho
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

If nothing else, I have plenty of time to decide what kind of character I'd want to be. As I went through two Elvaan, two Humes and a Mithra before deciding on Taru.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
            I'm honestly still torn.
            Me too. But I think my finances are going to decide for me regardless.
            sigpic
            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

I could definitely afford to play. Even right now. But I've been spending my time working out, and reading, and hanging out with friends, and it's like, I dunno. I worry that I'd lose some of that.

Comment

I can afford the monthly fee for sure, I just can't afford the new computer I'd need.
                sigpic
                ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

If either of you decide to play, feel free to look me up on Besaid if you end up there
                  Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                  Reiko Takahashi
                  - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                  Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Levequests are starting to get terrible. They're seemingly random in "original" difficulty, and scale completely differently when you choose your own level of difficulty. And then, as if spending 25 minutes killing 5 out of 6 enemies wasn't bad enough, the last one takes you on a four minute jog, giving you the hope that he'll stop and you'll kill him, but then ten more spawn and rape you. SO FUN.

And now all the servers are dead?

Comment

Besaid and Selbina both went down a couple of hours ago but are fine now.
                      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Yeah what the fuck, I just got booted off of Figaro and there's no notice about it on lodestone.

3 servers are back up atm. Also, I am really getting annoyed with gathering fire crystals wtf. Blacksmithing is starting to piss me off (mainly because lately my leves keep resetting late at night which is a bitch) gotta go farm more sheepies too as I'm almost out of wind shards.
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Just lost connection to Fabal.

Also, this game is only a time sink if you let it be. Leves are ridiculous xp for time put in.
                          Burning questions are burning: Is jenova_9 really a girl and is she cute? Does she talk like that in real life?

Burning.

This is why I J9: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/off...otionally.html

http://selenagomez.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ufgt View Post
                            Also, this game is only a time sink if you let it be. Leves are ridiculous xp for time put in.
                            So you don't try to competitively price your items when you sell them? Meaning you'd have to look around at retainers to get the varying prices which would take extra time. Do you buy equipments? That would mean that you would have to go from retainer to retainer to retainer until you found a reasonably priced item...and god forbid you're looking for multiple items! I won't even get into crafting and how you need a multiple crafts leveled to craft an item and how you need to be level 8 in one in order to craft a level 1 item in another. And don't forget that you need to level mining, or fishing, or whatever in order to get the ingredients and how that takes time OR you could just go spend additional hours going from retainer to retainer to retainer and pay exorbitant prices...

Ya, this MMO is not a time sink.
                            Originally posted by Feba
                            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                            Originally posted by DakAttack
                            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                              Ya, this MMO is not a time sink.
                              It doesn't have to be, but atm it is. And that's why I am beginning to envy the hell out of the wave of newbies coming on Thursday who have the faster skill up goggles. Damn you to hell, the time I've spent in advance, while it's served me well, will pale in comparison (I'd imagine).

It'll depend on how strong the effect is from the goggles though I guess. I mean if it's only 10% more skill then meh, but 20% or more and that's pretty nice especially when it comes to crafting.
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                                ... but 20% or more and that's pretty nice especially when it comes to crafting.
                                This is SE, what do you think?
                                Originally posted by Feba
                                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                                Originally posted by Taskmage
                                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                                Originally posted by DakAttack
                                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X