FFXIV, the PS3, and gig space..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFXIV, the PS3, and gig space..

I just stumbled into an argument on some other forums about how many gigs XIV will take up on the PS3.

Some guy claims that the with improved graphics that the game will take up nearly 40gigs (yes 40) then over a year increase to about 60 gigs. I'm no computer wiz or know the average gig usage of any MMO but 40 does seem pretty high.

XI takes about 10 gigs which I stated in my last post, and even with improved graphics I doubt that it'll take 40 wopping gigs to play the game. Most people have 40 gig PS3's!

I mean with the PS3 and blu-ray, I would imagine that most of the graphics would be on the disc which we will have to put in every time we play. That's just an assumption also. I don't know if 360 users do that, or if their set up was the same as the PS2 where you install onto the HDD and just access FFXI that way.
    A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

it's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

R.I.P. Dura's Moms Hard Drive. 2002-2009 Gone, but not forgotten.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Re: FFXIV, the PS3, and gig space..

40GB is REALLY hard to believe. 5-10 GBs is starting to become the normal size for MMOs these days. Now... granted with the size of the game and how everything is being improved, the file sizes may be bigger.. so I would venture to say maybe even 15GBs for FF14.
    ---------------------------

www.tinyurl.com/servants12

Comment

Remember too, FFXI is on its, what 4th expansion and 2 mini expansions, so 10GB is what it has become. FFXIV being newer, and using more of the latest Hardware and software, will probably be closer to 5GB starting, and continue to grow from there. I mean FFXI started out as, I think 3GB, and grew from there. 5GB is reasonable, most MMO's are about 3-4GB to start with and grow over the years. However, to be more specific, Aion is about 5.27GB, and thet is fairly new, although Age of Conan is around 12.93GB in size. It all depends on how much content they give us at the beginning.
      "It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice"
      MC Scooter.

Comment

Yeah I knew there was no way it could use 40gigs. I mean WoW in its entirety only uses 14gigs right now.
        A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Comment

Yea, 40 gigs is a lot of space. I have a 60 gig HDD PS3 (I got a good deal from a friend lol), and I have a few things downloaded on it, and it only takes up like 2-3 gig at most, and thats with all my music on it as well, with all of my saved files (About 25 of them lol).

FFXIV will at most take up 15 gigs when it first comes out. It may go out to be 20 gigs, but I highly doubt that it will ever reach up to 40 gigs.

Comment

FFXIV will be about 13gb I would say. Also it, just like FFXI would not run off the disk at all, all the disk is for, is to validate the game.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Well, I will not have the issues of PS3 and or 360 verison, I will have my PC built and ready to go, so GB is not an issue for me . I enjoy console gaming, but have never been a fan of consoles. PC's have a wide variety of content to amuse me, and all these so called next gen games have been released for PC in the end anyway. Funny thing is they are their DX10 counterparts too.
              "It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice"
              MC Scooter.

Comment

12-15gigs is way too much even starting out. The starting world is smaller than XI, and they definitely plan for patches so starting at out 12-15 is way too much in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pwnagraphic View Post
                  12-15gigs is way too much even starting out. The starting world is smaller than XI, and they definitely plan for patches so starting at out 12-15 is way too much in my opinion.
                  you have to remember though, the graphics, and I am sure sound too, will be higher in quality then any MMORG out right now.

Based off that, I would still say 12-13gb or so
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

The graphics are going to be the best that they can get now anyways, so they will take up A LOT of space on the HDDs.

Comment

Keep in mind that some games that could be used for Comparison, like MGS4, decided not to compress anything. Lack of any compression takes up plenty of extra space-- even lossless compression can do wonders. And for the most part, I'm pretty sure that these games didn't use a lack of compression for speed benefits, but just for bragging rights.

It will depend a lot on how FFXIV is structured. If they keep the same mega-files they have now with zones, it's going to be quite different than if it's one single, united world, without zonelines. It's not even unthinkable that things like models and textures would be stored clientside, but the server would constantly update the environment; basically streaming the 'world' to you. This would allow for a very fluid world, and would keep spoilers and .dat exploring to a minimum.

Comment

Keep in mind that if it is anything over15GB, people that have the old 20GB PS3s or 20GB Xboxes are screwed. Now that I think about it, people that have 20GB Xbox Hard Drive could just buy a bigger one. To install a larger hard drive in the PS3 you'd have to have a bit of technical know how in order to be able to do it.
                        {New Sig in the works}
                        -----------------------
                        "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                        "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                        Originally posted by Solymir
                        What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
                          The graphics are going to be the best that they can get now anyways, so they will take up A LOT of space on the HDDs.
                          Graphics on a PC will and always have been better than consoles and the games mentioned above are all on PC.. I bet the ingame images you saw weren't from a PS3.

But Feba is right. It will all depend on how they decide to format the game.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
                          Keep in mind that if it is anything over15GB, people that have the old 20GB PS3s or 20GB Xboxes are screwed. Now that I think about it, people that have 20GB Xbox Hard Drive could just buy a bigger one. To install a larger hard drive in the PS3 you'd have to have a bit of technical know how in order to be able to do it.
                          Why are you adding in 360 users already

Comment

PS3 graphics are REALLY nice. Assassins Creed was one of them that had REALLY nice graphics for the PS3, and they are REALLY beautiful.

Comment

FFXI was about 13 GB with all the expansions.

I can see XIV being around 13-15 to start with because of the HD and everything.. but 40+ is a stretch man. Keep in mind most PS3's are only 80 GB theses days (mine's a 60). Thankfully, unlike the lolbox360 you can swap in a standard PC HDD which I've been severely tempted to do lately.
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X